• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Build Complete: Vaterra Ascender

Should be stronger depending on if the pinion is turning on the coast or drive side of the ring gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Coast or drive side"? The gears are bi-directional, so they should be equally strong regardless of which direction they're rotating.

- - -

Anyway, after months of (very occasional) searching, I discovered that GPM makes steel driveshafts for the Ascender that actually fit the same as the stock plastic driveshafts -- no adaptor necessary. Normally I wouldn't trust cheap steel parts, but I had a couple good experiences with GPM steel driveshafts on other vehicles, so I decided to give these a try. They fit well and feel good; time will tell if they're strong enough, but the build quality is reassuring.

yAscYBg.jpg

68WmVua.jpg

I also added some shims to the upper links, which you can see in the second photo if you look closely. I never liked how the Ascender's axles seemed to be tilted the wrong way, so I added 2x 0.6mm shims to each upper link, one at each end, to make the upper links slightly longer.

Last edited:
My Ascender got a new body, a new paint job, and new taillights integrated into the body instead of the bumper.

xN9ZFuE.jpg

sUPKnOY.jpg

It sure is a good thing I never need to sleep. This hobby would be a lot harder otherwise.

Back