• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

A deeper look within the Redcat Everest 10 crawler

Haven't seen this idea but maybe I missed it.... if you use 1/10 scale tie rod ends they may be made for 3mm bolts. To eliminate the slop when having to use 2.5mm bolts, I made some shims from strips of aluminum from a soft drink can.

Just finishing up a makeover on my son's E10's front axle. I was extremely surprised when I opened up the axle to find STEEL GEARS! I guess that's part of the reason he hadn't broken anything in/on his axles in over 2 years of near daily use, but I had no idea that was even a thing. I did manage to break a rear dog bone last week, so I ordered some $12 SCX10 cv shafts for the front and put the good front dog bones in the rear. A buddy gave my son his stock AR60 diff cup/iron cross locker, and some well used overdrive gears which all dropped right in with no shimming.

We also bought some 1/8" npt x 1 1/2" brass pipe nipples that fit in the housing almost perfectly, I just put a dab of e6000 to keep them from rattling. These are only there for weight (about 1 1/2oz) and do not extend far enough out to require any housing modification (c-hubs do not screw in to them.) If you wanted to get the most out of it, you could certainly start with longer nipples, drill & tap them for the c-hub screws, and shave the rib near the outer ends of the inside of the plastic housings, and have the poor man's equivalent of beef tubes... but for the cost/effort involved, I'm happy with the outcome.

His front now steers about 40° with no binding, limited by the knuckles hitting the front of the c-hub (stops are shaved, c-hub screws are counter sunk) but the cheap cv's go just a hair over 45° on their own. I also added an 1/8" spacer to the tie rod to get the inside tire turning sharper at full lock, which makes the tires a little toe out when going straight. A worthwhile trade off if you ask me.

We also recently made a few more changes to his electronics. We switched from full time 4ws to 4 mode 4ws using my old RS10 radio. Installed a Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport 27t 550, and Castle BEC set to 6.5v to feed both of his mg958 servos.

With all the previous chassis changes (full length chassis with incorporated shock towers and lots of adjustability, smooth skid with triangulated lower links, homemade forward battery & electronics mount, 100mm shocks) his 1.9 tire'd E10 can really give the more mainstream cars a run for their money! My 7 year old likes to remind the naysayers that it's "just a Redcat" when he crawls right past them.... but it's just barely a Redcat anymore.

Ordered me an E10 this weekend. Went ahead and put an order for metal lockers, a 35T motor, 2.2 Duratrax Deep Woods tires/wheel combos, and a 5000 MAH battery. Can’t wait to get it going. I’ve been playing with some toy crawlers (these are awesome for $25 BTW) from Amazon with my son and thought I’d like to try a hobby grade. I’ll be back with my thoughts once I get my hands on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ordered me an E10 this weekend. Went ahead and put an order for metal lockers, a 35T motor, 2.2 Duratrax Deep Woods tires/wheel combos, and a 5000 MAH battery. Can’t wait to get it going. I’ve been playing with some toy crawlers (these are awesome for $25 BTW) from Amazon with my son and thought I’d like to try a hobby grade. I’ll be back with my thoughts once I get my hands on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You won't be disappointed.

Id reccomend putting a Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster 540 21t in it. Drives so much smoother with a more enjoyable top speed.

Has anyone found an easy way to get water out of the tires? They dont spin enough for centrifugal force to do it.

Yup; makes drying foams out, swapping them or the tires based on different terrain a piece of cake (compared to ungluing).

Yeah I run beadlocks on my SCX10ii. Still a pain in the butt to undo beadlocks lol, but infinitely better than gluing.

Has anyone found an easy way to get water out of the tires? They dont spin enough for centrifugal force to do it.
You could always stick 'em on your drill when you get home. Just don't do it in a room the wife cares about or the mess could mean sleepin' on the couch! LOLZ Maybe use her salad spinner instead to keep the mess contained... I'm sure she won't mind. ;)

You could always stick 'em on your drill when you get home. Just don't do it in a room the wife cares about or the mess could mean sleepin' on the couch! LOLZ Maybe use her salad spinner instead to keep the mess contained... I'm sure she won't mind. ;)

Good idea on the drill part!

Well, it took me 3 days, but I read through the whole thread! Lots of great info, but looooong! I've been in and out of RCing since the late 80's, but really dropped out in the very early 2000's (got married😣) and it's unreal how much some things have changed! I've been wanting to get back into RC for a while, but things never quite worked out. I always loved the monsters/crawlers/scalers and it's looking more and more like an Everest 10 has most of the features I like and will be my first venture into the world of crawling! Look forward to hanging out with y'all!

So i put the axial locker in my front axle and promptly broke a long-side inner-axle. Can i convert it over to scx10 CV axles? I’m not really wanting to file axles down again...

Thanks Jim, will the redcat bearings off of the stock axleshafts fit the axial shafts or do i need axial bearings?

It’s interesting that the axial shafts are the same length, i hope the former longside is engaged into the locker far enough

Last edited:
Back