• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

MN82 - BRUSHLESS UPGRADE!! MEGA TRUCK - 1.9 Rock Crushers!!

WRXronald

Rock Crawler
Well, if the thread doesn't give it away -- here's a couple quickies!!! I flipped the KillerBody Landcruiser LC70 1/10 scale body with the crane that was on my TRX4 when it was 1/10 scale on Ebay -- got $120!!! not bad. But I was missing the LC70's..........

I tend to do this to myself, not sure why, guess i'm just a bored person with a MEGA TRUCK axe to grind lol.

I buy these super scale micro rigs (Pinecone 2520, C24, MN82, FCX18, etc) -- don't really need to change a thing for them to be completely cool like nothing ever was available back in the day. These are all wet dream rigs pretty much for me if only they were available 25yrs ago!!

This time its the MN82... I mean for $41..... how can an enthusiast say no?

But then the tinkering starts, for some reason it just SUCKS when it comes to actual crawling out of the box. And here we are a sawed in half chassis and a half cab later....

+ approx 2inches chassis stretch, and + approx 2 inch track width ----->> using a custom made STEEL member, metal gears, small 1.9's (95mm) Rock Crusher-ish tires -- MN metal portal axles, MN metal 3 gear transmission, steel drive shafts, 70mm alloy shocks and 4-linked front and rear. Need to step down to something in the range of 55t 370 to get it crawling better... I think it currently has a 12 or 20T and its just too fast for my taste.

Overall though -- super happy how its working out. Some kinks still to work thru, but its gonna be a MEGA HIT for my collection I think!

Vids in reverse order -- the latest one test driving the finished setup is posted first right here w/minor kinks finally worked out.... and then the older ones if you really want to dig in as it came along are thereafter. Still haven't even glued the tires lol -- stayed on the rim for initial testing too! Running $4.50 Ali wheels/tires non-beadlock -- -thats $4.50 for the set, kinda not bad for that price eh?!

BENCH TEST - Body mounted, steering issue fixed...

ROCK TEST - 10 mins hitting some terrain I just couldn't resist, its essentially complete in this vid

MOCK UP / BUILD OUT - along the way as I was figuring it all out.........

Lol wasted no time!

Hand-slapped-together a custom wood flatbed -- and installed! Quick short below with debut... sticking with the raw flatbed wood look to keep it "work" purposed, also going to weather the cab a bit too here soon. The bed has 3 coats of clear flat high temp engine enamel (its what was handy at the moment and right for the job)

I've since added some lines spaced evenly (somewhat) to make it look more scale like individual 2x6 or 2x8 planks - and little alloy bumper out back to protect the wood, etc - - will have a vid on the rocks soon. Want to get a slower higher wind motor in there soon -- this one is def overheating and not to task even though a 370. I may have to go brushless Outrunner not even too sure!

I'm loving the wood flatbed look ALOT lately. Its just cool. Even better with a little crane or wrecker arm!

Also to counter the weight added out back I added 3oz of lead weights inside each front tire -- they fall to the bottom as the tire rolls so ultimate in low placement weight addition. The trucks CoG is just forward of the door handle --- pretty darn good despite a hard wood flatbed hauler on the back!

Pinecone SG2502 LandRover Defender fits on the flatty quite nicely might try a vid hauling once i've got a stronger lower geared motor.

Also got tires glued up -- really liking the plastic wheels with giving ability to keep the weight up front only! Crawls decent still!

Wood Flatbed side hillin! Took a couple nasty little tumbles --- kept on hittin no issues!! Kinda surprised it held up so far to be honest, didn't have high expectations. Need to get a lower gear motor though...

Update: Got the super slow 370 motor installed in the 3-gear metal MN transmission. NOPE. It sucks.

370 motor is just 100% too undersized to push tires like these -- 1.9's at this size o 95mm diameter. Can't do it, just struggles badly despite its extremely slow.

My next plan is to fit up an A2212 Bruhsless Outrunner and a FPV Drone ESC that I'm going to use AM32 programming to make it run bi=directional. I got 1000kv so that should be in the 55t range of speeds and have A LOT more torque --- the FPV Esc can go to 6s, and probably the motor could take 4s.

It should fit there is a vid on the Tube of someone else fitting it up to a plastic version MN 3 gear transmission. I'll have to do some trickery on the metal gear case but I do think its possible. Otherwise this truck is a waste because i'm not even sure a 380 would push it along. It wants 550 but couldn't deal with all that size and weight.

Live & learn!! Should have it back up and running mid-August.

Last edited:
ive got a few of those gold 2212 drone motors 1 in a 12th scale 2200kv it to runs 1.9s 3.5ish range tires and a hard body
the 2200kv is perfict in my opinion just a hair over walking speed and im powering it with a surpass hobbies 35a esc and its buttery smooth and almost silent ive used the same combo on 3 differnt rigs now and i like it

ive got a few of those gold 2212 drone motors 1 in a 12th scale 2200kv it to runs 1.9s 3.5ish range tires and a hard body
the 2200kv is perfict in my opinion just a hair over walking speed and im powering it with a surpass hobbies 35a esc and its buttery smooth and almost silent ive used the same combo on 3 differnt rigs now and i like it
NICE!! Glad to know i'm cooking with gas for this setup --- I'm tired of fighting weak motors!

So is it good and slow for crawling with the higher KV ranges? I went 1000kv thinking i'll need really slow for rock crawling performance and low-end torque. Maybe I don't have to gear the KV that low though. What transmissions or drive ratios do you have those Kv ratings in do you know?

The 3-gear metal MN doesn't feel all that slow to me (also partly why I went with 1000kv), I should sit down and count its ratio one of these days, def a good bit faster than the 5-gear metal WPL trans from driving behavior I think.

In the meantime --- take a look -- I put a set of 1.55 skinny's on it with 90mm soft scale tires -- looks awesome I think, but not sure I also love the big Rock Crusher look.

Feel free to weigh in!

Last edited:
im running redcat everest 16 3 gear transmissions indont have any idea what there ratios are 1 is stock gearing crawls awsome and has some wheel speed the other one my d12 build theres no spur and pinnion gears the motor shaft goes directly to the transmission and it still has plenty of torque for slow crawling and still dosent cog

link to the d12 build thread

Last edited:
Ok well still on the 1.55 skinny's for now -- guess I'm sorta in the wrong forum anymore LOL. But no worries I promise as soon as I have out a few good drives on the 1.55's i'm going back to the 1.9 Rock Crusher's 95mm's. The 1.55's are 90mm -- pretty close. But again, much skinnier.

I FINALLY got this rig fixed, up and running, and BRUSHLESS SINEWAY POWERED!!!!!! Its AWESOME so far I think.

I had ton of issues with pinions, motor fitment/mount in transmission, binding, overheating, clearances the motor can on the chassis, etc.....

Ones all bugs sorted -- it crawling interestingly well!! REALLY Slow and nicely powered for torque. Can go to 4s but I think it would shred axles fast on that power level.

This is CHEAP Brushless power -- a 1000kv Outrunner brushless with AM32 ESC -- no need to empty your wallet on furitek/fusion/blah blah whatever branded junk they sell you with a fancy label and some chamfering and anodize on the motor can to charge you +200% more than it should cost to go brushless AM32. If you can solder, and download FPV Drone firmware and operate it on your laptop -- or if you already do -- then these crawler setups are for you!!!

I'm sure these are mentioned here plenty -- but just in case you want specifics on where I got the power system - - 14 pole outrunners have ALL the torque -- as they don't have to pass the motor can very far to get to the next step -- 14 magnets around the circle instead of 2 or 4 in a 2 or 4 pole motor means each magnet doesn't have to push the can around as far to get to the next magnet pick up. voila - MAD TORQUE!!!

I've been running BRUSHLES OUTRUNNERS in rock crawlers since 2005 (YouTube has REMOVED various of my old videos those b_stards) anyways -- I used Kontronik JAZZ 40-6-18 ESC's to push them (not Sinewave of course) but these were the best car/heli/plane esc's you could buy WAY back in the day and they could push almost any brushless motor and were extremely resistant to failure (I have 2 and they still work today after tons of abuse and water exposure), sorry for the side rant!

Cheap but Good - ESC -- AM32 ESC 2-6S 32-bit Speed Controller 25A/45A Support PWM Signal for RC Crawler | eBay

Cheap but Good (the wires are not good, cut the bullet connectors at your own risk!) - BRUSHLESS OUTRUNNER -- A2212 1000Kv Brushless Outrunner Motor For Airplane Aircraft Quadcopter | eBay

Last edited:
Threw a lead brick on the flatbed today and hit out to some terrain with the MN82 Brushless Mega Truck.... lol just kidding, it was the PineCone SG2402 LandRover I threw on the back. mistaked it for a lead brick hahah!

Full diecast body and bigger tires on it --- its not lightweight at all to be hauled by the MN82!!! Seemed to go ok, a bit tippy leftt/right but I can fix that with some additional widening.....

Hauling thru some thick uncut grass in the yard --- and also thru the big beans of course!!

Quick grass haul test...

Longer form vid thru rocky terrain!!

Everything seemed to hold up quite well -- ready to go for even bigger tires muhahaha!!!

Finally, it crawls on the 1.9 ROCK CRUSHER Tires are in!!! And it rips solid -- no issues with breakdown, torque, binding, etc. Plenty of POWA to crawl slow and keep the big diameters turning..... Now it just looks like a smaller scale of my giant 1/5 and 1/6th MEGA CRAWLERS!!! Love it!

No other tire in the world need apply, LOVE LOVE LOVE the ROCK CRUSHERS!!!

Some tougher terrain... I impressed myself for sure lol!! MN82 gettin' it! Not perfect, need to get the upgraded servo in, but pretty decent overall!

hay atleast you dont have to worry about your rig flying off of a 20+ft cliff lol
uh yeah no thanks you! I guess when I long for insanely awesome bedrock terrain around me I don't think thru the trade offs.... near the Chagrin River Park the other day the cliffs are frightening just the thought of some of that coming down in your direction, and its all loose terrain slowly crumbling.

Back