• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

What RC parts have you 3D Printed????

That looks nice! Do you ever share you designs anywhere?
I'm kinda hesitant these days. I put a few things up on Thingiverse and MyMiniFactory and later saw them for sale elsewhere. There's just way to many shady people out there to make my files public anymore...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I'm kinda hesitant these days. I put a few things up on Thingiverse and MyMiniFactory and later saw them for sale elsewhere. There's just way to many shady people out there to make my files public anymore...

Exactly why I don't share files. People are scumbags.

Sharing = Giving Away

I actually had someone, who stole my designs, refer his customers to me for support when the parts he printed didn't work right.

Sharing = Giving Away

Sadly, that's what people think. But people are supposed to follow the Creative Commons licenses at the request of the creator. Often, that doesn't happen. And sometimes it's scoundrels from other countries, typically in Asia, that steal the files and sell them as their own and there's not much you can do about that. The only way to protect yourself is to not share your designs at all.

Last edited:
About a year ago we got a 3D printing store here locally and I was pretty excited to able to go buy filament at a storefront. The last time I was in there about 6 months ago, one of the shop's big print suppliers was in there as well, and we got to talking. He basically admitted to stealing designs and selling them (in front of the store owner), saying he only had to change 10% (usually adding or removing a maker's mark) in order for it to be legal. I told him making a minor change doesn't make him not a thief, and haven't been in the store since.

Finally got some replacement filament in and got this printed out. Need to paint the rest of the details, and design/print the shelves/dividers for inside the door, but I'm pretty happy with the results so far...
0e140e4fd3cccd061c202d84509cfaeb.jpg
3e81dda7649b716f1309add0c8089f6f.jpg

Man @jsterrett! I love your work. I'd love to use some of those in my Element scale garage that I'm going to start filling out!

Like a RC buddy of mine said: "3D printing it's really a dream for guys like us"

All these wheels:

49494305051_f0435eab3a_b.jpg

Plus, the browing M2 .50,mount for the twin gearboxes+motors and the winch + I-beam

Finally got some replacement filament in and got this printed out. Need to paint the rest of the details, and design/print the shelves/dividers for inside the door, but I'm pretty happy with the results so far...

Very cool! How tall is it?

Also, the nosiness in me wants to know what that tray is in the foreground. It looks like a bunch of circuit boards.

Like a RC buddy of mine said: "3D printing it's really a dream for guys like us"

All these wheels:

Plus, the browing M2 .50,mount for the twin gearboxes+motors and the winch + I-beam

That is very cool!

Very cool! How tall is it?

Also, the nosiness in me wants to know what that tray is in the foreground. It looks like a bunch of circuit boards.

That is very cool!
About 6.5". I've been designing my scale garage stuff at 1:9 scale, since it seems like most of our truck fall between 1:8 and 1:10

A tray full of laptop RAM that's about to get listed on Ebay, lol. Been selling refurbished laptops and parts on there as a second job for like 8 years now, lol.

Man @jsterrett! I love your work. I'd love to use some of those in my Element scale garage that I'm going to start filling out!
Thanks! I've been trying to gauge whether there's enough interest in my parts to justify a vendor star. I have a few 3D printed parts and some aluminum stuff.

About 6.5". I've been designing my scale garage stuff at 1:9 scale, since it seems like most of our truck fall between 1:8 and 1:10

A tray full of laptop RAM that's about to get listed on Ebay, lol. Been selling refurbished laptops and parts on there as a second job for like 8 years now, lol.

That's a good size.

Cool! Not a bad side gig.

Not mine, but these are things 3D printed out of chocolate. Yes, edible chocolate. My employer was chosen to be the vendor to manufacture the sheet metal parts for this chocolate printer and I'm the engineer on the project.

cp-dog.jpg

cp-vase.jpg

cp-lg-sq.jpg

Not mine, but these are things 3D printed out of chocolate. Yes, edible chocolate. My employer was chosen to be the vendor to manufacture the sheet metal parts for this chocolate printer and I'm the engineer on the project.

Thats cool, RCLifeOn would be interested in this I imagine, he tried to print chocolate a while back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRBxuDvS2gs

I just got my first flexible filament and ran a few prints last night. It came out much better than expected using the default settings for TPU/flex on the Prusa MK3s

I made up some new steering wheel covers for a few Spektrum radios. I seem to always push the stock foam back and end up gripping the plastic edge of the wheel instead.

3GzwIrHl.jpg

This new cover fits snug and doesn't slide around. I also added a step so the outermost lip of the wheel gets covered too.

vqDGAK5l.jpg

iD610OVl.jpg

This material is TPU from Hyperion. I printed some tests with 10% and 5% infill but the infill really stiffens up the prints. With the wheel covers I used 2 perimeters and no infill so it just printed hollow. That allowed it to flex a ton more as well as feel a bit softer.

Last edited:
Thats cool, RCLifeOn would be interested in this I imagine, he tried to print chocolate a while back:

I just got my first flexible filament and ran a few prints last night. It came out much better than expected using the default settings for TPU/flex on the Prusa MK3s

I made up some new steering wheel covers for a few Spektrum radios. I seem to always push the stock foam back and end up gripping the plastic edge of the wheel instead.

This new cover fits snug and doesn't slide around. I also added a step so the outermost lip of the wheel gets covered too.

This material is TPU from Hyperion. I printed some tests with 10% and 5% infill but the infill really stiffens up the prints. With the wheel covers I used 2 perimeters and no infill so it just printed hollow. That allowed it to flex a ton more as well as feel a bit softer.

Apparently there are other chocolate 3D printers out there. He's been developing it on his own for years and now wants to sell some units to gain interest. He got a grant which has allowed that. Cool to see.

Those wheel grips are great! Never thought to print those, but I haven't printed any flexible filament as of yet.

Those wheel grips are great! Never thought to print those, but I haven't printed any flexible filament as of yet.

Thanks, since you've got a Prusa now you should see similar results.

I've watched a number of videos going over flexible filaments in the past and the results I got were far better than what I've seen and I've done zero tweaking of the settings. I came into it assuming I'd only be able to do very simple prints but I was able to print the Prusa Treefrog test print with very good quality. The treefrog print isn't as hard as the benchy prints but still not simple.
I've seen some guys use a particular octopus design to test flexible prints.

I think the key with this filament is to not be so flexible that it jams up in the extruder but this also means the prints are a bit stiff. This wont make for sticky tires but maybe a decent drift tire(?)

Got the Injora Jeep Cherokee truggy body off of Amazon. Not my first choice because I hated how it looked unfinished because it was missing the back of the cab and the bottom of the B pillar. But the son really like it and he wanted to get it for me for my Birthday. The cage is held in with 11.2mm thick plain round spacers. I designed and printed some cage spacers that fill in that gap and match the contour of the cab to give it a more finished look.

Before:

49546512482_a6edd95225_z.jpg

After:

49551879653_1b14dec236_z.jpg

This was version 1. With the spacer 11.2mm thick you can see the rear of the B pillar doesn't line up with the spacer. If I make the spacer thicker there will be a gap between a 2nd set of mounting points between the cab just under the window and the middle of the cage. I'm going to make a new revision that extends the outside surface to match up with the B pillar but keeps the mounting surface at the 11.2mm necessary for the other mounting points to gap correctly.

ETA: would people be interested in learning how to easily copy and reproduce those body contours using free to download software? I've got access to PTC Creo to do hard core 3D modeling but I made this part using MS paint and tinkercad in about 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Back