• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

What is the best RTR crawler for under $600 in 2022?

SaltyDog

Rock Stacker
Hey everyone. It’s been a while since I’ve really looked into buying a new crawler, and I’ve never really looked into the RTR’s that are available or their capabilities. I am now of course, but thought I’d ask the forum for their general consensus too. I think after my last gspeed build, a nice ready to crawl option is what I need. Thanks for any responses.

redcat everest 10 lol just kidding
i think there are a few big names that have rtrs in that range
traxxasss
axial
and vanquish but it might be a but over that price by just a bit but would be the best in my opinion but i dont have exsperiance with any of them most of my rigs are custom and dont fit in to any brand or rtr catgory

Element Ecto RTR is my choice. But not everyone likes the axles.
Axial Base Camp, maybe?

Under $600 really covers everything out there in the 1/10th RTR category worth having.

Element Ecto RTR is my choice. But not everyone likes the axles.
Axial Base Camp, maybe?

Under $600 really covers everything out there in the 1/10th RTR category worth having.

Axial Basecamp definitely seems like a contender. Not the biggest fan of the body, but that can always be swapped.

if your looking at the basecamp and the enduro the traxxass sport and redcat gen8 are on the same leval
but if you want more the new stuff is a step up from those

what ever you chose its hard to go wrong there all so good

My top favorites I’ve ever personally had were the TRX4 Sport(still have) and the SCX10ii RBK. The TRX4 Sport is my best crawler with some very simple mods like full droop and brass portal boxes up front. I’ve also spent hours getting an excellent weight balance to where that rig will go anywhere I want it. So yeah, definitely recommend a trx4 sport kit or RTR.

Elements are cool trucks but between the 3 Elements I have had their quality control has been so bad that I would never buy another RTR from them. The only 2 things I like about elements are the transmissions and the bodies.

I’ve never had a Vanquish but I would take a look at the Phoenix kit, looks to be a good truck especially for the price.

if your looking at the basecamp and the enduro the traxxass sport and redcat gen8 are on the same leval
but if you want more the new stuff is a step up from those

what ever you chose its hard to go wrong there all so good

What sorta new stuff?

Yeah I'm curious what the new stuff is.

Vanquish has been mentioned but no RTR there.

If you want portals I’d go for the base camp and spend the extra $200 on batteries and upgrading the servo. And you’d still have money left over. The trx is a good platform but it’s debatable about being on the same level.. steering angle on the axial is far superior and the axles are no where near as bulky. Nothing wrong with the Traxxas at all but I’d choose and axial 75% of the time.

But for $600 you could buy the Phoenix straight axle or portal, buy a flysky radio, hobbywing 1080 esc Holmes crawlmaster sport motor and have about $60 left for a servo which the shift xb servo for $65 has great specs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But for $600 you could buy the Phoenix straight axle or portal, buy a flysky radio, hobbywing 1080 esc Holmes crawlmaster sport motor and have about $60 left for a servo which the shift xb servo for $65 has great specs

I actually have all this stuff besides the axels laying around. I have a Savox 1210 in the drawers somewhere and a BEC already soldered into my 1080.

Do you think the Hobbywing 1080 and HH Crawlmaster is better than what comes in either the Basecamp or TRX4?

I actually have all this stuff besides the axels laying around. I have a Savox 1210 in the drawers somewhere and a BEC already soldered into my 1080.

Do you think the Hobbywing 1080 and HH Crawlmaster is better than what comes in either the Basecamp or TRX4?

Yep, no question. The 1080 is way better than the rtr axial esc. The RTR Traxxas TRX4 is a smidge better than the Axial ESC but for the most part they are comparable.

The 1080 can be tuned more to your driving style

Everyone has different opinions and/or results.

Neither of my 2 Elements had ANY problems, and right now my Ecto is my favorite vehicle.

Running it stock other than a set of SSD stainless brake disc weights and the Element brass hex hubs.

My Sendero just has a better servo and a set of different wheels and tires.

Last edited:
Everyone has different opinions and/or results.

Neither of my 2 Elements had ANY problems, and right now my Ecto is my favorite vehicle.

Running it stock other than a set of SSD stainless brake disc weights and the Element brass hex hubs.

My Sendero just has a better servo and a set of different wheels and tires.

Yea I will have to agree. I bought the Gatekeeper kit and as of late it has been my go to rig. Even with the Electronics needed I was well below the OP $600 mark and if patience is something one has you could get the kit and all needed parts for less than an rtr vehicle from Axial.

The Gatekeeper is a bit more top heavy with the cage layout but its been a tank in terms of durability. The Ecto would be a little better in that regard

Even with the Electronics needed I was well below the OP $600 mark and if patience is something one has you could get the kit and all needed parts for less than an rtr vehicle from Axial.

I think my problem is, if I get a kit and start building it out, I’m going to continually buy the higher powered comp stuff and end up spending like $1000. This is exactly what happened with my last SCX10II kit that went from a brushed 550 and HW1080 to a full blown brushless gspeed in a matter of a month.

But maybe I just need to practice some restraint. Easier said than done when it comes to RC crawlers.

Get a kit and stick to a 1080 and 550 Holmes brushed motor and cheap Amazon Servo. Then upgrade/replace if/when/where needed

Or if it helps if you want to spend big money on good electronics get a Vanquish kit to help "justify" it. Id still slap a 1080 and Holmes Trailmaster 550 motor in that kit. Those components are just that good.

Brushless is great bit for general crawling use I cant see the need for it. A Bomber/Ryft Type rig sure, thats something that will see some speed but for a basic trail rig/ crawler I dont think it is a necessity. Your mileage may vary though...

I think my problem is, if I get a kit and start building it out, I’m going to continually buy the higher powered comp stuff and end up spending like $1000. This is exactly what happened with my last SCX10II kit that went from a brushed 550 and HW1080 to a full blown brushless gspeed in a matter of a month.

But maybe I just need to practice some restraint. Easier said than done when it comes to RC crawlers.

I’m keeping an eye on this thread because I find myself in a similar situation. I have 3 $1000+ rigs, two of which started simple enough but developed into long term/expensive projects which I’ve yet to drive [emoji2359]

Meanwhile I took my Phoenix chassis and body, put ar45’s, stealth x, hw 1080 and a Crawlmaster sport in and it’s probably my favorite truck to drive. i have about $500 invested in it.

I’m contemplating my next rig, and torn between a 10.3 gladiator or building a Phoenix with straight axle front, portal rear and a stealth x.

I’m keeping an eye on this thread because I find myself in a similar situation. I have 3 $1000+ rigs, two of which started simple enough but developed into long term/expensive projects which I’ve yet to drive [emoji2359]

Meanwhile I took my Phoenix chassis and body, put ar45’s, stealth x, hw 1080 and a Crawlmaster sport in and it’s probably my favorite truck to drive. i have about $500 invested in it.

I’m contemplating my next rig, and torn between a 10.3 gladiator or building a Phoenix with straight axle front, portal rear and a stealth x.

If you dont have a long wheel base rig I would recommend you get the Gladiator, the longer wheel base certainly changes the driving experience.

The 1080/crawlmaster is a killer combo for the budget. I’ve driven [mention]twade984 [/mention] ar45 Phoenix truck and it’s a blast to drive and buttery smooth. I have the same problem though.. all my rigs except my tf2 is over $1,000 easy some quite a bit more. I bought a gladiator.. mamba x slate Combo shift rc s2.0 servo, hardcore links vp wheels and tires etc later….. smh

I think this thread has led me in the direction of getting a Phoenix portal kit and just putting all my brushed electronics I have laying around in it. Amain says it requires a 540 size motor, is that because a 550 won’t fit?

Get a kit and stick to a 1080 and 550 Holmes brushed motor and cheap Amazon Servo. Then upgrade/replace if/when/where needed

Or if it helps if you want to spend big money on good electronics get a Vanquish kit to help "justify" it. Id still slap a 1080 and Holmes Trailmaster 550 motor in that kit. Those components are just that good.

Brushless is great bit for general crawling use I cant see the need for it. A Bomber/Ryft Type rig sure, thats something that will see some speed but for a basic trail rig/ crawler I dont think it is a necessity. Your mileage may vary though...

100% in agreement here - my Bomber was my first crawler purchase, an OG kit bought right after they were first released - took me 2 YEARS to finish the build, total moneypit...:shock:

Ended up buying an RTR Chevy K10 Ascender (again, right when it was released) just to have something to drive while building the Bomber!

Everything I bought after the Bomber is either currently running stock electronics while I decide on exactly what I want to put in it or a HW1080 ESC and HH 550 can brushed motor - and as soon as the stock servo craps out or just shows that it has no huevos, it gets a DS3218 or better Amazon replacement.

The Bomber is running a Mamba X/Revolver v1/HV500 v1 setup and I really don't feel the need for that in anything running wheels smaller than 2.2".

I have many more vehicles to finish building/upgrading/tweaking, and some I did buy brushless for - but since the electronics are still NIB, I may end up selling them off just in favor of the simplicity and peace of mind that brushed setups bring to the table.

My apartment is like a small hobbyshop - so much NIB crap it's frankly ridiculous. I need to do inventory to make sure I don't buy something twice!

Back