• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

What is the best RTR crawler for under $600 in 2022?

I think this thread has led me in the direction of getting a Phoenix portal kit and just putting all my brushed electronics I have laying around in it. Amain says it requires a 540 size motor, is that because a 550 won’t fit?

Do some reading here:

Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech - Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin at RCCrawler.com

Or here:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vanquish-products-vs4-10-origin/629929-new-vanquish-vs4-10-phoenix-straight-axle.html

The VFD transmission is one of the few I have not built - I think if you swap in longer aluminum tube spacers you can install a bigger can motor, I believe someone discusses it in a thread somewhere - try searching 550 in that sub-forum.

EDIT: well, I tried a quick search and it seems that it may be more trouble than it's worth - doesn't mean that someone won't find a way around it in the near future - here's the search parameter:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/search.php?searchid=11521011

Last edited:
I think this thread has led me in the direction of getting a Phoenix portal kit and just putting all my brushed electronics I have laying around in it. Amain says it requires a 540 size motor, is that because a 550 won’t fit?

I believe I read on here that a 550 Crawlmaster sport will fit, if you install it while building the trans, but I’ve not verified myself.

Phoenix kit is a good choice imo. If you go that route and start getting wild ideas of brushless motors, monster servos and high-zoot wheels, just post up and we’ll all yell at you to keep it simple [emoji23]

The VFD transmission is one of the few I have not built - I think if you swap in longer aluminum tube spacers you can install a bigger can motor, I believe someone discusses it in a thread somewhere - try searching 550 in that sub-forum.

EDIT: well, I tried a quick search and it seems that it may be more trouble than it's worth - doesn't mean that someone won't find a way around it in the near future

Ya I sorta figured if it took too much modding I would just drop the $20 on a 540 size. My whole mindset going into this build is for it to be my casual fun crawler. Once I dive into the mods too heavy it’s a slippery slope.

Thanks for the links! Just spent way too much time clicking through the photo dump thread haha. It can get addicting.

Phoenix kit is a good choice imo. If you go that route and start getting wild ideas of brushless motors, monster servos and high-zoot wheels, just post up and we’ll all yell at you to keep it simple [emoji23]

The only thing right now that would go in it that may be considered monster is the Savox 1210sg, but that’s purely because I have it laying around. May have to order a receiver bypass adapter for it and unsolder the external BEC off of my HW1080, but still have to research if that’ll work with the 1210. It just looks so much cleaner.

Meanwhile I took my Phoenix chassis and body, put ar45’s, stealth x, hw 1080 and a Crawlmaster sport in and it’s probably my favorite truck to drive. i have about $500 invested in it.

I’m contemplating my next rig, and torn between a 10.3 gladiator or building a Phoenix with straight axle front, portal rear and a stealth x.

Would you suggest the Crawlmaster or the Trailmaster on the Phoenix kit? And what turn count? Originally I was going to grab a 27t 540 Trailmaster, but didn’t even consider the 21t 540 Crawlmaster.

Would you suggest the Crawlmaster or the Trailmaster on the Phoenix kit? And what turn count? Originally I was going to grab a 27t 540 Trailmaster, but didn’t even consider the 21t 540 Crawlmaster.

I’ve not run a trailmaster before. I always go Crawlmaster since it’s 5-pole, and I like the best low speed control I can get. And I would get a 13t, very good low end and sufficient wheel speed for a $15 motor.

I believe the 13t 5-pole is equivalent to a 21t or 27t 3-pole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve not run a trailmaster before. I always go Crawlmaster since it’s 5-pole, and I like the best low speed control I can get. And I would get a 13t, very good low end and sufficient wheel speed for a $15 motor.

I believe the 13t 5-pole is equivalent to a 21t or 27t 3-pole.

Thanks for the advice. Order has been placed and I’ll have my VS4-10 Portal kit and HH 13t Crawlmaster this Wednesday.

Funny how the thread started with looking for an RTR and ended with buying a Vanquish kit. However, I will say, the kit and motor were $400 and that’s pretty dam good.

I always feel bad not driving to my local shop for stuff but this time around the kit was consistently $100 more at every shop I called.

Phoenix with a 1080 and a reedy radon motor and a receiver to bind to whatever existing radio you use. Slap a chingchong 35kg servo in it and party.

I like the 10.3 but I haven't seen anyone running them that hasn't snapped a panhard mount clean off the front housing at least once.

10.2 re-release kits are out there, buddy just picked one up cheap.

The Phoenix Portal is top tier. I set mine up with a Copperhead and Puller Pro, man it's the dream! The HW1080 Crawlmaster Sport as Twade suggested is also a smooth setup.

I also love my Enduro rigs, its just such a fun platform. Element has done well in releasing modular parts for their various presentations of it. Can't go wrong building one. I wouldn't surprise me to see them release a portal rig before too long. Given their M.O. they will likely even come sitting under a body that traditionally rocked portals... (unlike some other companies:ror:)

The TRX4 sport kit is also great. Stout as a bull.

Id like to bump this thread, not a newbie, been out of the know since having kids. I have a fully built axial sc10 I still use and love. Was thinking about buying one of the best RTR made today to compare it too and have a spare for the neighbor and kids to play with. Strictly for rocks. What are the top 3 with good aftermarket?

Vanquish phoenix for sure, ive got a few phoenix based rigs. The scx10.3 basecamp seems to be really popular as well. Theres the trx4 as well. The sport jas locked diffs n single speed trans, whereas the others have locking/unlocking diffs n 2 speed trans

Vanquish Phoenix would be my pick. Out of the box is damn near unbeatable IMO. For the price and what’s included is hard to beat.

The Element Ecto with minor upgrades is great too. I have many Element rigs and they are a pleasure to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting, I was unaware associated had ventured into crawlers. I always had associated models back in my on/offroad racing days. The vanquish looks very interesting, perhaps a little overcomplicated for what I really need. I am surprised they didn't aim to shift the transmission with micro servo's, adding 2 extra full size servo's that high in the chassis is a decent CG weight penalty I would think. The traxxas to me is neither here nor there, I have owned plenty of traxxas in my career. They make a good model, maybe not as tunable as others? The one thing that crossed my mind as I was looking around was why would I buy an RTR, I love to build, but don't want to dump a grand into this like I know I will building a kit:ror:

Last edited:
1. Vanquish
2. TRX-4 Sport
3. Element.

Unless you can get a motor flip for the Element or put the new transmission in the Enduro for the motor flip spot, you'll be at a weight distribution disadvantage when compared to the other 2 listed. I have the Basecamp as well, and it suffers from the same motor position issue. I'm actually not a big fan of the Basecamp. It's ok, but my TRX-4 does everything better.

s

Why cant they offer a RTR KIT version for those of us that want to build it:lmao: Or can one of you teach me how to build cheaper?:mrgreen:

1. Vanquish
2. TRX-4 Sport
3. Element.

Unless you can get a motor flip for the Element or put the new transmission in the Enduro for the motor flip spot, you'll be at a weight distribution disadvantage when compared to the other 2 listed. I have the Basecamp as well, and it suffers from the same motor position issue. I'm actually not a big fan of the Basecamp. It's ok, but my TRX-4 does everything better.

s
The new se and utron both have the new motor location

And it's not a disadvantage at all if you place the batter correctly and don't use a giant pack. The weight distribution matter is pretty much the same unless you use a rather small pack on the first 2.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Why cant they offer a RTR KIT version for those of us that want to build it:lmao: Or can one of you teach me how to build cheaper?:mrgreen:
Tr4 chassis kit sounds like your jam. Includes all electronics and radio, you just need to supply the body.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

The new se and utron both have the new motor location

And it's not a disadvantage at all if you place the batter correctly and don't use a giant pack. The weight distribution matter is pretty much the same unless you use a rather small pack on the first 2.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

I'm gonna go with a big "no" on that one. it's a serious disadvantage. Motor position is highly important in that it's a considerable source of sprung weight on the chassis. It's exactly why Element moved their motor in the two new offerings you listed. If it didn't matter, they would not have changed it. Wanna guess where Axial placed the motor in their new "comp" crawler? This isn't really a debatable topic; weight forward, weight low, less sprung weight the better.

Utron is not a crawler, but the new SE is a good choice if you want an Element. TRX-4 is going to outperform in on the trail and on technical rock. VQ has them both beat on quality.

We run 450 3s packs right next to the servo, and with the motor mounted forward, we just about nail 60/40 weight split on every crawler in the fleet. There are a few crawlers where we are forced to mount the motor in the middle, and in those situations we run the Holmes team spec outrunner 2250's to shave as much weight as possible. And we still hit 60/40.

I'm gonna have to say...
The Axial SCX6 Trail Honcho is the best RTR I've ever owned !
Being big isn't its best quality.
I'd have to say it's the motor and its 2 speed transmission that really shines.
That and it's 4s capable straight out of the RTR box. 8)

Back