• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

What hex drivers you using?

I just ordered above Arrowmax Philips and flat driver bits and above Traxxas driver bit set. So now I will have every option available for my DeWalt and be able to build even faster.

I recently ordered a bunch of the Protek hex drivers (and nut drivers) along with a Dewalt gyro screwdriver to use with my Team Associated hex bits.

I recently ordered a bunch of the Protek hex drivers (and nut drivers) along with a Dewalt gyro screwdriver to use with my Team Associated hex bits.

I found the rotating end cap on the ProTeks very lacking.

So what I did was run a bead of oil between the end cap and handle. Then I rotated the end cap. You could instantly feel it smooth out and require less resistance to turn.

While not as good as my Vanquish drivers it made a huge improvement.

So if your end caps are rough turning , give that a try.

So what I did was run a bead of oil between the end cap and handle. Then I rotated the end cap. You could instantly feel it smooth out and require less resistance to turn.

Thanks, yeah the end cap turning was the one thing I was slightly disappointed in when I got them in. I may end up just not using the end caps. Other than that they're extremely nice.

I have the MIP set and MIP speed tips for my MIlwaukee driver. Ball ends? Only use when nothing else will work. For sockets I use a Craftsmen 1/4 drive metric set with a handle or 1/4' speed tip adapter for my M12.

Last edited:
I dont like screwdriver type handles. Ive tried Wiha, bondhus, and a few others. Most have failed rather sooner than id hoped for. Some point after i got a set of 6" blank hex keys in 2.5, 2, 1.5mm and just drilled a hole into a 3/8%%c 1" long piece 9f steel and brazed it to look like a smaller t-handle wrench. Tip wears out, take it to the grinder for a second and youre off to a fresh start. I do want to get a set for my small power driver

I have a mix of tool brands... Associated hex drivers, HUDY hex drivers, Arrowmax reamers and hex drivers and some WIHA 1/4" extended bits for my powered driver. So far the HUDY and WIHA tools have been the best fit and quality.

This is the exact reason why I went with a different brand. I wanted replaceable tips. My 1.5 and 2.0 mm MIP driver tips got a little worn over the course of five years. Developed a little slop inside of the screw hex.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Ive heard many people say that they've had mip tools for 10, 20 years with next to new tips. So , im surprised to hear you say 5 years

I've been using a set of MIP/Thorp clear orange handled drivers for probably 15yrs. The machined hex tips are just as sharp now as they were when I got them. They honestly show no signs of ever being used except for scratches and dings in the handles.

I ended up buying the Protek drivers because they looked great and the rotating handles were a bonus. But I also had problems with gritty end caps that didn't want to spin freely. It's such a shame because they are otherwise well made. I think I am going to try some dry lube and see if that works.

I have used a few different driver sets over the years and I am finally happy with my current setup. At my bench I have MIP 1/4 drive bits for my Milwaukee M12 driver and metric MIP drivers (+ a 2mm ball end). And for trail use, I have one of the Team Associated drivers where all the bits fit inside the handle.

Other sets I have used:

Bought one of the cheapo Dynamite sets in the nylon case to use on the trail, but it was terrible and rounded off pretty quickly, destroying several screws.

Old Team Losi drivers were excellent, but I broke a tip and could not find a replacement from Losi.

Red aluminum handle Dynamite drivers are actually pretty good. Lasted me a few years of pretty heavy use before the tips started rounding off. I still use them in situations where a long handle is needed.

Kobalt were a fairly sloppy fit from the start and did not last long.

I ended up buying the Protek drivers because they looked great and the rotating handles were a bonus. But I also had problems with gritty end caps that didn't want to spin freely. It's such a shame because they are otherwise well made. I think I am going to try some dry lube and see if that works.

I agree. They look awesome and feel good in the hand. I only have their nut drivers.

My buddy has everything ProTek. I told him about the lube trick and it worked for him.

Can’t hurt to try.

As I'm getting back in to RC I purchased the TRX sport kit and the local hobby shop recommended the Dynamite set which I really like and have lasted with no degradation. Also, bought a cheap set of drivers for my battery powdered screw driver.

As I'm getting back in to RC I purchased the TRX sport kit and the local hobby shop recommended the Dynamite set which I really like and have lasted with no degradation. Also, bought a cheap set of drivers for my battery powdered screw driver.

Some Dynamite stuff is hardened and the quality is fine. The drives with the black handles and red spinner tops are junk. They aren't hardened so they don't last long as hex drivers. The nut drivers are fine.

Replaced my MIPs with Vanquish after 2 tips snapped. The Vanquish are the cat’s ass. Still using my Losi NUT drivers which are awesome!

I got this slick setup that says Savox. It stores then bits in the handle. BUT just like their servos they work great at first but then they start to suck.

It won't hold the bits tight anymore and the "lid" that keeps the other bits in is loose, turns and the bits fall out.

I like the feel of my MIP hexes. This vintage style is tried and tested. They hold well, even with greasy hands, they lock the screws every single time, and most importantly they are comfortable even after repeated use. I gradually bought the 1.5, 2 and 2.5mm ones. I would have bought the whole set straight away if I knew.

I got this slick setup that says Savox. It stores then bits in the handle. BUT just like their servos they work great at first but then they start to suck.

It won't hold the bits tight anymore and the "lid" that keeps the other bits in is loose, turns and the bits fall out.

That is the one with the orange handle and several bits that you can store in the handle?

I have that same one. Only use it to take with me on the trials. Nice and compact. For everyday building I rely on my full MIP set.

Back