• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Ultra Portal Axle Build Question

paintedgyp

Hi all,

As i finally embarked on my build last night, I encountered an issue that I didn't know if it was typical on all your builds, or just something on my end.

Everything was running smoothly (literally) until i got to about Step Bag A.4 and 5. After attaching the left portal to the knuckle, the transmission spun smoothly by hand via the 3rd member, through all the steering angles, until i got about 15-20 degrees before it hit the 'bump stop'. It got quite bind-y and rough. I did notice a little binding in the portal assembly itself, again spinning by hand, prior to attaching to the steering knuckle, seemed like the edge of the output gear was rubbing against the bearing above. Not sure if those are related. I did apply VP grease in all gear to gear locations.

Attaching the one pic I took of where i was at before my OCD told me to break down everything and try again, which I did, and i'll try again tonight to see if i missed anything along the way, and try to document with a few more pictures.

All I've heard about this transmission is its buttery smoothness, but perhaps it does have its limitations? Or maybe it was builder error/something wasn't seated correctly, or mis-installed bearing? Or perhaps this is typical and I should just truck along with the build and not worry.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Did you make sure the bearing in the chub pressed all the way in? The one that the cvd is going through? I had to fiddle with it a bit when I built mine. if you compare mine to yours, my cvd goes in further.
de5bfc4f984959b8763bf7e4a875ef5a.jpg

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Did you make sure the bearing in the chub pressed all the way in? The one that the cvd is going through? I had to fiddle with it a bit when I built mine. if you compare mine to yours, my cvd goes in further.
de5bfc4f984959b8763bf7e4a875ef5a.jpg

By golly @hezzdown, you may be on to something! Good eye! Let me rebuild the portal and report back! Cheers!

Vote for hezzdown... CVD is not properly mounted. The tolerance there are a bit tight.

Last edited:
Success! Made sure to seat the CVD in properly this time around and now it's much better. Very smooth, still an occasional bit of tightness when hand spinning at the extreme steering angles but maybe to be expected when the CVD is turned at more acute angles. Thanks for weighing in guys!

That is excellent news! Glad you were able to get it sorted out.

I was putting together a SCX10.2 VP portal last night. I wasnt paying attention and installed the bushings from the outside when they should be inserted from the inside. This locked up the steering.

I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Back