• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

--- The Crawler Innovations Water Skippin' FOFFer Build ---

Ever held a spinning bike wheel by the axle and tried to turn it?

I imagine the gyroscopic effect at the wheel speed you are seeing is keeping that relatively weak servo from doing the steering duties. Also the saver is surely compressing.

I bet a stronger servo and deleting the saver would give you on water steering.

I finally had the opportunity and the parts to rebuild this little rig this weekend. New servo and new esc programming. It was outstanding fun for a few minutes in the sleeting rain.
eveha3e2.jpg

asunyqy2.jpg

Fun ended when the front axle pinion bearings broke:
by2y2utu.jpg

Sent from the lab @ the CI compound

Hey Nova, are you still using the hitech waterproof servo?

Yes. I like the water proof version a lot better than the 5645MG or 645MG. It handles 7.4Volts which the others do not. This is my second water proof servo in this vehicle. The first WP servo was annihilated after an attempt to cross moving water drifted the vehicle into a boulder at Crawlapalooza.

Yes. I like the water proof version a lot better than the 5645MG or 645MG. It handles 7.4Volts which the others do not. This is my second water proof servo in this vehicle. The first WP servo was annihilated after an attempt to cross moving water drifted the vehicle into a boulder at Crawlapalooza.

We did test the waterproofness at the pond before crawlapalooza. Good times! :ror:

Thanks Nova! I stripped my Hitech WP servo today crossing some water on my whiplash. I was looking into a steel gear servo like the savox sw 1210 sg. I have the 4600 kv castle motor in it now and it seems to be ok for short distances. I think ill order a 5700 kv as you did and give it a try. This thing is a blast crossing open water as the lakes lose the ice.

Thanks Nova! I stripped my Hitech WP servo today crossing some water on my whiplash. I was looking into a steel gear servo like the savox sw 1210 sg. I have the 4600 kv castle motor in it now and it seems to be ok for short distances. I think ill order a 5700 kv as you did and give it a try. This thing is a blast crossing open water as the lakes lose the ice.

The WP hitec uses the same gears as a 645 or 5645 from Hitec. The output gear is not the same though. The WP version has a taller output.

I don't use Savox because they are not programmable. Good quality for the cost, but I prefer and use Hitec.

If you use the stock transmission in your FOFF, the 5700 kV is critical for the extra bit of wheel speed. The front bearing in my 5700 went out and I installed a 4700 PRO4 instead and don't like it. Not enough wheel speed. I'm contemplating tearing the truck down to install new gearing and a different transmission.

...Sent from the car headed home from the RECON G6 in St Louis...

I had been pondering how to modify an EXO trans into my FOFF truck for quite some time now. The AX transmission seemed to no longer be needed. I was looking for more wheel speed at the tire for better control on the water. I finally had the time and parts last month and I came up with this:

14311081833_1827d4eafc_o.jpg

It's made up from;
Vanquish Products EXO aluminum housing
Traxxas E Revo 6mm Spool
Traxxas E Maxx 6mm Yokes
Modified EXO Spur Gear

a Traxxial creation from CI :ror:
14104269740_5135a87307_o.jpg

Last edited:
Old trans set up:
14290894235_77bbdb2743_o.jpg

The 4700 Pro4 did not have enough wheel speed with the trans to make a full pull on water. I was using the Pro4 to bash in the yard. The Castle 5700 4 Pole with AX trans was the water crossing combo, but the bearings in the 5700 finally went out two months ago prompting the progression of this build.

Mocking up the traxxial exo trans:
14290379374_e420e32e86_o.jpg

14104268620_120517defe_o.jpg

Tight fit:
14311079703_f43d092589_o.jpg

Some quick iphone videos of our first outing testing the new set up.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/deptUEXL1Ak" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9cz6aeeZGII" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FtFpqSTHf58" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8behotiH0_Y" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Nice new transmission setup ya got there, eh.

Thank you sir.

Nice setup man. Did you use a fishing pole to retrieve it or just swim out?

Thanks. The body is full of foam & with paddles tires it floats back to shore. One of my older youtube videos shows it at work.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4Bxd-Ar6mts" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

If you mounted the gear on the other side of the spool flange could you eliminate the spacers?

No. The length of the traxxas spool requires the use of the spacers.

Last set of videos from that test day:

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SKrm2JRexfY" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WayXm0PKlPA" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qHOJSQ6CbLw" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/I9onEsOmt14" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

I'll post some pics of the truck used in the videos later. The Tekin 3300Kv Pro4 did not run after the last pass. The magnets came off the rotor. The trans change required the jump up to 4S from 3S. I'll try to post an update soon.

Our local club ETXRCC had a Get Together @ Barnwell Mountain ORV Park in Gilmer, Texas last weekend. It was an evening get together. We decided to stay the night ahead of time in order to test and record the following morning. Here is a collection of footage from that test and tune. We brought the FOFFer with us. This time the FOFF truck is using a New Holmes Hobbies 540 Sensored Revolver Outrunner Motor. "thumbsup"

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MClsIrOREyo" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Back