• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

--- The Crawler Innovations Water Skippin' FOFFer Build ---

After watching a few DVD's of the Tough Truck Challenge, my son and I decided to make our own TTC Tank Trap. Using a rototiller and shovels, we created a soupy mix. The C.I. FOFFer could not drive through it, but it could drive on top of it until the spur gear stripped. Big Blue lost the ESC, and the Clodbuster Basher lost the front motor. It made for an afternoon of fun."thumbsup"

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3os7VadR2XU" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

That water looks like predator blood. :ror:

Poor Blue, it was painful to watch that rig struggle in that muck. :shock:

Now you have rigs to rebuild, good times! "thumbsup"

This rig hasn't run since the last video. It stripped the spur gear & got shelved. The outrunner was removed to install in Big Blue since the 412 was drawing to many amps for crawling duty.

We have been experiencing great weather in East Texas lately, so I dusted this rig off from sitting and began upgrading.

First up: Blue Monkey 5mm Long spool for the Exo / Yeti. Great quality and strength. I'm very happy with this set up over the old 6mm ERevo spool.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414355704.171727.jpg

Next up was a new Holmes sensored outrunner is a new smaller size:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414355732.274160.jpg

The new motor did not last long. Roughly 30 seconds in the yard before it caught fire. Thankfully it did not melt down the delrin chassis. The motor is being sent back to Mr Holmes for inspection. The 30 seconds that it did run were glorious on 3S with plenty of torque and speed from a small motor.

..Uploaded from the lab @ the C.I. Compound...

Since the outrunner didn't work out and I had the 412 sitting around, I installed it in this rig. Geared 52/20 on 3S draws a lot of amps, but it is decent for power. Not water cross able, but good for bash fun. It was good enough to explode the rear axle pinion bearings: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414356285.875406.jpg

Time for even more upgrades:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414356343.224071.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414356374.528047.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414356414.767026.jpg

Hmm that brown stuff is bad for the health lol.

Yeah, it's pretty old grease with lots of pond scum mixed in :mrgreen:. When I assemble the axles, I cover and fill everything with automotive wheel bearing grease until it's pushing out of them as the axle cases are assembled.

The fall weather is wonderful this time of year in East Texas. One of the local parks had a big pile of wood chips sitting out for park upgrades. CI took advantage of the opportunity to play with the FOFF truck and the AR60 axled Monster Truck. Mr CI drove the FOFF truck while Mrs. CI drove the Monster Truck.

Both vehicles are using heavily modified drive train parts, use sensored brushless motors, 3S lipo batteries (12volts), and Crawler Innovations Deuce's Wild Foams.

The FOFF truck is using a proto type set of Deuce's Wild Single Stage Foams that are designed to fit and stretch 2.2 Paddle tires & 1:10 buggy rear tires. The brand of tires are Panther.

The monster truck is using Crawler Innovations 6 Bolt Wheels, Deuce's Wild 2.2 Standard Foams, & Axial R35 compound Maxxis Trepadors.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QQbWz53yI3o?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" height="315" width="560" frameborder="0"></iframe>

You may have stumbled on a new bashing material with the wood chips!

"thumbsup" I'm sure you have access to plenty:ror:

You know me, I'm always on the hunt looking for new spots to crawl, scale or bash:mrgreen:

That is terrible about the outrunner. I really want to try one of those.

It is, but it's also better that it happened to a Team Driver for Holmes Hobbies like myself. We (team drivers) R&D electronics for Holmes Hobbies and we understand the risks involved. In order to make advancements, testing has to be done. Holmes will get it figured out and we'll have several different versions of outrunners to choose from"thumbsup"

In this case I think it was error from Holmes. It was a proto and I forgot to label it ABC for Eddie. There is a combination where they seem to run great, but amp draws are about double until near full speed and then it pulls like a shorted motor. Seems to drive fine, but they go up in smoke pretty fast. My bad! I'll be sure we get them labeled next time!

In this case I think it was error from Holmes. It was a proto and I forgot to label it ABC for Eddie. There is a combination where they seem to run great, but amp draws are about double until near full speed and then it pulls like a shorted motor. Seems to drive fine, but they go up in smoke pretty fast. My bad! I'll be sure we get them labeled next time!

That's a great description of how this motor acted John. :oops:

Upgrades:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414936868.888659.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414936881.794852.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414936893.309259.jpg

Before weight total with aluminum wheels:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414936907.420940.jpg

After weight with 6 Bolt Wide Track wheels and 850 SLW hubs:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414936977.018556.jpg

I had removed the roc 412 motor from Big Blue to install a Holmes sensored outrunner. This rig needed a motor so I installed it in this. It's fun on 3s and 4s in the yard. It will still cross water, but with not as much torque or power as a outrunner. I'm waiting for the next outrunner before I do any more videos of long water crossings. Here are a couple pics of it currently:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419861347.187344.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419861368.364016.jpg

It's time for a changing of the guard:

9ady9ahu.jpg

Sent from the Lab @ da C.I. Compound

What body is the one on the left?

And it sure is a god chassis and a cool built :)

Last edited:
love this build and thinking i should have a go at this myself, quick question do you think proline sand paws would work for water crossing? they have bigger paddles than the panthers but ther not full width and offset, only reason i ask as i have a set and wondering if its worth mounting them to try or go for it and order a set of panthers

What body is the one on the left?

And it sure is a good chassis and a cool built :)

The body on the left is lexan and was acquired in a customer trade. Thanks for the kind words.

love this build and thinking i should have a go at this myself, quick question do you think proline sand paws would work for water crossing? they have bigger paddles than the panthers but ther not full width and offset, only reason i ask as i have a set and wondering if its worth mounting them to try or go for it and order a set of panthers

1. Thank you.

2. I don't know. I think you need full width paddles though. I am going to try the Proline sling shot tires to see if it makes a difference. They have a scooped full paddle, but it is shorter and narrower than the Panther paddle.

Shhhhh, I'm sure its a styrene dynamic concepts body, so get in line with the rest of us. Lmao.

Negative, it's a lexan body that a previous RCC vendor made years ago.

Upgrades:
New Aluminum Servo Saver

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428680787.729405.jpg

I'm going to test a different size paddle tire.
Proline Sling Shots
1.50" 6 Bolt Wheels
Custom Deuce's Wild Foams

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428680805.559537.jpg

Size comparison to the previous Panther Paddle I ran:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428680965.604339.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428680980.925273.jpg

The time has come for progression and the BWD whiplash chassis has already been sold.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449151461.526350.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449151478.111212.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449151498.421764.jpg

The new chassis and the axles are currently in mock up and waiting for longer VP titanium links to arrive. I'm excited for what's next.

Back