• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Tamiya Bullhead body build on Honcho chassis

I made a new bed and came up with a new mounting system. The velcro worked but wasn't great.

I thought the original bed was a little small so I made a slightly larger one.

To mount it I got some big washers and some rare earth magnets which are each supposed to be 5lb hold. I glued 2 washers to the bed mounting spot on the truck and then 2 more to the bed itself. The magnets sit in between the washers when the bed is mounted. This way the bed mounts securely but is also easily removable. It is easier to make adjustments than the velcro so getting the bed lined up is easier also.

I can also make different style beds if I want to and easily swap between them, I just need to glue two washers to the bottom of each bed.

Here is how the washer and magnet setup looks.
IMG_1520_zps2355eylv.jpg

Here is the new larger bed mounted using the magnets and washers show above.
IMG_1521_zpss1y2w82q.jpg

Last edited:
I saw the post about the lowes truck tool boxes for gift cards and had to get one. I like tractor supply so I got one of theirs, actually I got 4 of them. They are $3 a piece, are metal, and have opening lids so you can put stuff in them if you want to.

FullSizeRender_zps09mder0e.jpg

IMG_1524_zpsiwjcthug.jpg

Im digging your work! not sure how i feel about the bed and how it sits back from the cab but it is a great start. keep it up

Im digging your work! not sure how i feel about the bed and how it sits back from the cab but it is a great start. keep it up

Thanks. I was originally going to cut the cab to make the bed sit flush up against it but it's much easier to take the cab on and off this way. The very back of the cab has two lips that are a snug fit on the rails it sits on. Just the pressure from the plastic lips fitting over the wood rails is plenty to hold the cab on nice and tight.

It's really easy to take the cab on and off this way and there is no special mount needed. Cutting closer to the cab would have made the build overall more difficult.

Filling the holes in the body where the air cleaners are supposed to mount also didn't turn out so great.

For a first build that didn't come with instructions I'm happy with the end result even with the imperfections.

Last edited:

I thought about the gap between the cab and the bed some more.

I think when I make another bed for it I can notch the bed around the part of the cab that sticks out and get the bed to sit up against the cab better. I really don't want to do anymore cutting on the cab.

Then I can use another one of the toolboxes I bought and cut a notch in the back of it to hide the notch cut in the bed.

It's getting busy with the holidays coming so I'm not sure when I'll get the time to try this.

Back