• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Spiike's SCX10 Jeep 4 Door (Caution Picture Heavy)

Spiike

Rock Crawler
*edit* WARNING THIS THREAD CONTAINS LOTS OF PICTURES. seriously.. I warned you lol

Finally got to start the thread, its pissing rain out, and I just finished installing my lights. How wonderful! LOL.

So here it is. Some parts curtousy and thanks to crawlhog

SCX10 Honcho kit.
Axial 27t
Axial AE-1 ESC *****->upgraded to Novak Super Rooster for $20 at LPS (pawn)
Axial AX-1 Transmitter
Axial AR-1 Receiver
3x 1000mah ni-cd next tech batteries. (on the TODO upgrade list.) *****->upgrade 4500mah high energy 8.4v
ND1003 Exceed RC Servo (broken teeth) ******-> upgraded to hitec 645MG
Steering balls replaced with Traxxis Rod end steel balls.

*oldedit* Upgrades.
4 link using servo plate Home Made links with threaded rod and aluminum tubing, using Traxxis Rod ends for only front, to make up the 13" required for body and interior sitting above transmission spur. Still stock 3 link in rear.

*edit*
Updated July 1st 2011
Spec list
Waterproofed Novak Super rooster reversible ESC
Stock Spur 87t
Axial 27Turn with 21,25 tooth pinion, RC4WD 35turn 14,15tooth pinion
Hitec 645MG
Waterproofed rx Axial Ax-1 Ar-1 2ch
#8 threaded rod, traxxis rod ends, aluminum tubing 4 link with bent back and traxxis metal balls.
Spike's custom 29 LED system Fog lights, Brake lights (doesn't dim), reverse lights (attatched to esc), Light bar, running turn lights (no blink)
Mickey Thomsons Baja Claws 1.9 @ 120mm tall (14mm taller than flat irons)
3racing winch @ 8.4v nimh
Electricfly 3800mah 8.4v nimh
High Energy 4600 mah 8.4v nimh
Steel transmission output upgrade.
2 ounce weights back
1 ounce front/spare
Spike's towropes, bungee cords.
stock scx10 shocks

*oldedit*
Mods.
-Home made LED kit with resisters, and blue ground effects
-moved esc/receiver to back of chassis.
-Mounted battery on high upwards angle to fit inside dashboard of interior.
-Drilled holes in front bumper to extend farther out.
-Drilled holes in body mounts to raise front end up 2mm
-Using aluminum plate with velcro to mount body on chassis. Using velcro so the body slides on impact, or falls off... thanks to RCC for most of the upgrades i've done so far.
-Using spare parts from kit, I drilled holes in chassis and made mount farther back to sit perfectly with aluminum plate and velcro. (see pictures on 2nd page for better understanding)
-cut SUV body mounts to sit inside back seats to prevent body from sliding back and forth and the spur gear grinding the front seat.
-added 16mm aluminum plates to lower front shocks, and removed 3/4 of all bumpstops. Also did this upgrade because steering link was hitting chassis. and servo horn was hitting mount, which i removed.
-added 3 connectors, 1 for rear and front lights of body for removal of body. another for reverse lights which wire directly to the ESC. and the last is for the hardtop body break light

and much much much more.

Building Chassis, building kit.

Getting everything mounted.

I seen a thread with velcro, I copied that idea. mounted my body (Thanks to whom I seen this idea.)

Made a rear plate for the parralel batteries, and distributing weight.

Cleaned up wires

Body is mounted, Removed side step to fit rock sliders

Better pics in sun with rear tire mounted, and rear brake light mounted in body.

Here I'm mounting wires for LEDs, mounted rear brake lights, fog lights

Light switch on the right, and connector for lights (computer fans connection)

Got lights working!

Still got to:

-buy and install 6mm spacers to make up the 13" wheel base required for jeep body (ordered)
-install RC4WD 35T motor (shipped and on its way)
-paint body red (keeping hardtop/flairs black)
-build jerry can holder and mount out of aluminum
-paint interior
-buy new servo gears or new servo.
-4 link the rear. purchase links and truss (half decided whether i want to make my own links or buy the upper arms)
-purchase 5000mah Sub C or C batteries to make own or buy good mah battery

Thats all for now guys, any input is appreciated, any opinions too, what you guys think??? Budget build, this cost only 308 kit with tax. electronics $30 and batteries were for my old New Bright Jeep they were only $10 each, so $30 for a grand total of $360. 7.5 hours to build chassis and mount everything including Jeep Body. 3 hours to install and wire lights. and 1 second of rain to ruin my fun

Last edited:
good job man"thumbsup" I guess the New Bright is retiring???

Yes, my 2 door new bright jeep was dismantled last week, motor tab broke, off of a 280 motor from jameco.com and my gears also stripped, I was upset, because my fiance spent $80 on it and I broke it 50 times.....

and thank you! :)

I haven't installed spacers yet, so the scx10 kit sits stock at 12.4" and the wheel base on the body is 13" and I ordered spacers at my lhs for $5 to extend the wheel base to fit better... my tires rub on the flairs a little.

Added Crawling Ground effects.

FrontMiddleBack

Back Shot in darkFront

Also took halfs of the top of CD holsters the 50 packs, and made wheel wells, would like to paint black and clear coat to protect paint but just their to keep mud/dirt flying at motors and more scale look when finished, I hope *crosses fingers*

Last edited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv5dSrei3zQ

Will have to post pictures later, I installed wheel wells, a rear splash guard, waterproofed my motor with baloons, and waterproofed the ESC with a baloon. I also found liquid Plastic at walmart too. for when I get my Novak Super Rooster ESC. that way I can make sure its fully waterproof.

lookin good spike, but 7.5 hrs to build it , what took so long:shock:. but seriously your gonna enjoy the 10 alot more"thumbsup"

2 kids and a pregnant wife LOL and yes, I stopped chewing my nails I love this thing so much !

oh yeah! oh and I painted it yesterday, and finishing painting up door handles and stuff with brush by hand. puttin stickers on and mounting lights etc..

I removed 3/4 of the bumpstop too. but realize my 3 link limits me. so 4 link is coming soon

I will post pictures I have on facebook

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.10150554841725608.648264.871475607&l=4299cfe071

I apologize, I use postimage.org very simple to upload. that sucks you can't view them. :( anyways here you go

I try tinypic.com cause the pictures show up bigger on the forum.

Here is a good picture

vmzkhe.jpg

i know, i shocked myself too once i got the clear coat on it, you have to really get like 12" away to see the inperfections because I am not a painter LOL but I've been reading lots and learning lots, hardest part is clumps, drips, and i'm not good at waiting lol however took me 2 days prep, trim, clean, sand, stickers, and found that nail polish is not good for plastic. makes it soft. hand painted the black with brush. took time to get the door handles, and window wipers, and i saw a couple jeeps out the past few days driving with a silver bumper in the back and chrome gas caps, for more scale like appearance. now its time to go scratch it! removed 3/4 of the bumpstop for more articulation as well. need a few more ounces of weight

bought a high energy 4500mah 8.4v battery and ac/dc charger
waiting on rc4wd for a 35t motor they are slow....

relocated receiver.
lowered battery mount.

anyways pics soon!

Here is my Brother in Law's truck which I ave him my honcho body because he gave me the 4dr jeep. we both happy. Hes got 2.2s and running mostly stock dingo trail ready scx10 with 2.2s wheel extensions in front, 645mg servo, 2.4ghz radio, ae-1 esc, and 3300mah and 5100 mah batteries.
SAM_0794.jpg

Articulation after bump stops were cut.
SAM_0782.jpg

Relocated everything, receiver and ESC with 3 ounces of sticky weights on axle in back. and large 4500 mah high energy battery in front, also removed 1/4 inch off battery posts to lower CoG so that the servo doesn't hit the plate. tried putting it as low as i could.
SAM_0781.jpg

SAM_0780.jpg

SAM_0779.jpg

SAM_0778.jpg

Waterproofed my ESC with Lepage Flexible waterproof plastic adhesive from walmart (can't find liquid tape or plastic dip stuff)
SAM_0776.jpg

SAM_0775.jpg

SAM_0774.jpg

SAM_0773.jpg

SAM_0772.jpg

SAM_0771.jpg

SAM_0769.jpg

SAM_0768.jpg

Installed Rear backup lights on my truck with the super rooster's LED wires putting out 5.6v I need different resisters to wire them properly.
SAM_0801.jpg

SAM_0802.jpg

Checked out the interior. and the transmission is the only thing that is stopping the interior from fitting. I think when I get the spacers, I will only install them in the front of the truck to move the hole body forward, so that the transmission fits between the sites of the interior. we shall see how it works out when i get the spacers
SAM_0797.jpg

SAM_0796.jpg

I tried fixing the drive shaft I broke with a m4 3/4 inch screw and nut and few lock nuts and thread lock, the drive shaft unscrewed itself. even after 12 hours for the lock tight to do its job. need new drive shaft, and got my LHS to order MIP c-line drive shafts for the ax10. hope they fit on scx10 ok.
SAM_0803.jpg

I broke the drive shaft because I was trying to pop wheely with 9.6v battery, and finally gave way and broke it good. :(

Here is a video testing the rear backup lights

Lookin really good!

Thanks!

Heres the update, I put washers under the aluminum plates that hold the velcro, so i'm not reaching in the body to push the aluminum plates up to touch the other velcro on the body, i hope that makes sense. anyways, body is easy to put on now.

I cut the wheel wells and finally installed the front wheel wells. this time I raised them higher than the rear because of steering throw or whatever you call it lol. I'm thinking of getting the super swamper tsl 1.9 the length on it is 9mm larger than the flat irons and would fit on the stock rims.

SAM_0812.jpg

SAM_0811.jpg

Test fitting home made roof rack, I bought this metal mesh from dollarama for $2 and cut it up, using a 2x4 I folded the edges an in deep. and cut a small size off for test. using a tube bender, i bent up a few 90 degree angles on 5/32 aluminum tubing i believe, bent the edges of the top of the mesh over the tubing, maybe one day paint it flat black to match jeep's black. Found a mounting bracket from axial tree set (I knew there was a reason i wanted to keep that stuff)

You can also notice that I have the light brackets out there on the hood, I found a good peice from the tree set that I can shave up good with the dremel and paint later with the roof rack, and mount the light brackets on it I hope to get the drill bit straight enough to mount them perfectly such as aluminum tubing maybe, undecided. either way painted black, any advice?

SAM_0804.jpg

SAM_0805.jpg

SAM_0806.jpg

SAM_0807.jpg

SAM_0808.jpg

SAM_0809.jpg

SAM_0810.jpg

Test fitting hard top roof racks (later can be removed, meaning the whole rear rooftop can be taken off when I install interior.) can be used for multiple things, boats, another roof rack

SAM_0815.jpg

SAM_0814.jpg

SAM_0816.jpg

what do you guys think? really? i won't get upset... i'm lookin to be like the real 1:1 version, minus my poor paint ability lol

I'm sort of trying to imitate these 4dr jeeps. I'm not a 100% jeep fan, but I do like these 4 door jeeps and wouldn't mind owning one 1 day. However I don't know whether my 4 door is the sport, wrangler evolution, or rubicon?

NewJeep.jpg

2007-Jeep-Unlimited-Rubicon-4-Door-with-Hard-Top-Offroading-in-the-Mountains-Red-Rock-Crystal-Coat-lfvr.jpg

IMG_0953_Small_.JPG

Back