• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Servo decisions

ok, this is probably a crazy question because it should make total sense, but has anyone tried the Amazon red servos? They seem to be all over Amazon under different brands and they are dirt cheap but have pretty good specs. They are called DS3218 20kg servos

I only ask because I use one of them and have been for almost a year with 0 issues. I was wondering how much better a HH servo can really be? I'm wondering if anyone has tried one of the cheap ones off amazon and then switched to a "name brand" and noticed a big difference?

I notices a massive difference in my SCX10ii from stock to the DS3218

A lot of people on here have used them at one time or another. I've got one in an Associated CR12 right now and it's great for that little rig. I've also had one in TF2 but it was just "meh/ okay". As for my 1/10 TRX4's... they're simply adequate and nothing more.

They're great for a budget choice and they do hold up well but no way that I could even begin to compare the torque to my HH shv500v2 servos nor the 3Bros G13... not even close to being on the same playing field. When you switch from a DS3218 to something with gobs of torque and precision centering performance, you immediately realize why some people are willing to drop over $100 on a higher-end servo. Honestly... no comparison.

A ds3218 compared to a hhv3 is like comparing a Corolla to a Hellcat. It’s not even close. They’ll both get you from point a to b but that’s where the similarities end. The power and speed of the hhv3 makes the ds3218 feel like a micro servo. The DS is okay for a budget build or casual basher but if a hhv3 is an option and you’re looking for performance then it is the way to go.

HHv3 have been my go to lately. My only gripe is that they’re louder than their predecessor, especially on 4S. But the performance and reliability is top notch.

If there was a time that I couldn’t get a hhv3 and needed a servo I’d look at agfrc or the nsdrc rebranded servo. I also have a mks bls550 servo, it’s decent. A little noisy too and not as strong as the Holmes but not bad.

A ds3218 compared to a hhv3 is like comparing a Corolla to a Hellcat. It’s not even close. They’ll both get you from point a to b but that’s where the similarities end. The power and speed of the hhv3 makes the ds3218 feel like a micro servo. The DS is okay for a budget build or casual basher but if a hhv3 is an option and you’re looking for performance then it is the way to go.

Haha! Ain’t that the truth. I’ve been running Savox servos but with my latest build you guys have convinced me to run the HHv3. I’ll be on 3s with a castle micro x crawler, I’m just hoping it will support it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha! Ain’t that the truth. I’ve been running Savox servos but with my latest build you guys have convinced me to run the HHv3. I’ll be on 3s with a castle micro x crawler, I’m just hoping it will support it

"thumbsup"

Both my gspeed and my Sherpa are 3s rigs with a micro x, snubnose revolver, and hhv3. it’s a solid set up.

"thumbsup"

Both my gspeed and my Sherpa are 3s rigs with a micro x, snubnose revolver, and hhv3. it’s a solid set up.

Thanks TB, I’m running a 2850kv slate right now but think I’m going to a puller pro v2 stubby 1800kv.

Some body is working on producing a 1200oz quiet servo right now. One of those brands you trust. Just incase you needed more ways to rip your steering and drivetrain apart.

Some body is working on producing a 1200oz quiet servo right now. One of those brands you trust. Just incase you needed more ways to rip your steering and drivetrain apart.

Overkill? Yes. Needed? No. Never lol. But who doesn’t love ripping panhard mounts off??

I’m going to guess that Reefs RC is doing that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I’m using the red Amazon Special, it’s been in 2 trucks both turning 5”+ tires, it’s fast, quiet, and holding up so far.

I was on the fence for a while on what servo to get, I was looking at the reefs triple 4 or 5. It would be replacing an amazon special that's in my 10.3 JLU.

Today I finally pulled the trigger on a Savox 2290 black edition. even if it doesn't have the power the specs show, at 970 oz/in it should still pull well over 500. Plus the place I order from had a New Years day special so I got it for about the price of a reefs triple 4 would have been.

We shall see how it works out once it shows up and I can get it mounted.

I was on the fence for a while on what servo to get, I was looking at the reefs triple 4 or 5. It would be replacing an amazon special that's in my 10.3 JLU.

Today I finally pulled the trigger on a Savox 2290 black edition. even if it doesn't have the power the specs show, at 970 oz/in it should still pull well over 500. Plus the place I order from had a New Years day special so I got it for about the price of a reefs triple 4 would have been.

We shall see how it works out once it shows up and I can get it mounted.

I really don’t care what Francis and his machine say. My 2290 is the strongest I’ve ever run on my 2.2 pig Opie. It’s still quite and quick.Yeah..... really

Hang up and Drive

I really don’t care what Francis and his machine say. My 2290 is the strongest I’ve ever run on my 2.2 pig Opie. It’s still quite and quick.Yeah..... really

Hang up and Drive

Assuming Francis is the guys name from rc review?

Still undecided, still researching every time a new servo is mentioned. Thanks guys

I wouldn't call the 2290 quiet, but its got power and hasn't broken. The only other servo I haven't broken yet is the shv500 v3, also not quite. But a 1200oz servo that's also quiet. Unfortunately I think I'm going to need one of them too...

Assuming Francis is the guys name from rc review?

Still undecided, still researching every time a new servo is mentioned. Thanks guys

Yes, Francis is from RC Review.

Don't overthink it, just go to Amain and look at some servos and their specs. Just stay away from Savox! Just kidding, your rig your choice, but Ive had bad experiences with Savox. I've said it once and ill say it again, l stand behind the EcoPower servos. Yeah Yeah, some may say its a rebrand this, rebrand that, blah blah blah, but Its a servo that i personally know works great and now its my go-to.

Last edited:
Thought I should point out that O.P. likely toasted the first DS servo by running it at 7.4v.

They max out at 6.8v. I have 4 of them, all of which are problem free, but I do not exceed 6.8v on any of them. I know they don't really compare to the listed high end servos, but they are great for the price and I find them to be pretty tough. I went off a bit of a jump with my ascender a month or so ago, caught about 3-4' of air and landed nose first on a large sharp rock coming out of the ground, right on the servo horn. The horn bent badly and tore the rod end and screw right off, yet the servo was fine.

They are awesome ...I have one in my Rock bouncer "thumbsup"
bktlz3ov.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

dragging up old threads :shock:

Is this servo still holding up in your bouncer? I have one ready to go inmy new class2 build.

GO DIRECT POWER

I have run a few different Savox with BECs and powered the right way. They fade out after continues usage. I will never buy another Savox.

I have The Holmes V2 and it works great.

I have had a G11 and it worked great, not as much power but for the price nothing else comes close

I have a G13 and it works great.

GO DIRECT POWER

Whatever you do I would ONLY consider a direct power servo. Why bother with being underpowered or dealing with a BEC when you don't have to.

GO DIRECT POWER

The exception may be if I have an ESC such as a MambaX that provides not only the necessary voltage but also the needed AMPERAGE to properly power a higher power servo. Many ESC may provide the necessary voltage but very few provide the necessary AMPERAGE to properly power higher the better servos.

GO DIRECT POWER

GO DIREDT POWER

GO DIRECT POWER

Back