• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Scx10ii with Land Rover D90 body

Oustanding work on the bumpers and mounts. That body will be the coolest one on the rock.

It may not seem like a big leap to anyone else, but this feels like a major acheivement to me - I have working STEEL hinges on the bonnet!! (thats a 'hood' to you)
These have been a pain in the ass to design, get 3d printed (yes, in steel!) and then to get to fit right. Now, they work beautifully. The hopeless plastic original ones in the Raffee kit lasted about 20 seconds. I printed new steel hinges and mirror mounts, since i could see these not lasting in plastic either. I'll make these available to buy on Shapeways in due course. Surely anyone with a driven Raffee Defender is going to want them sooner or later!

Attachments

• IMG_1563.jpg
    IMG_1563.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,254
  • IMG_0309.JPG
    IMG_0309.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,246
Last edited:
A small step today. The plan is to build a Land rover Defender Wolf 90 - this is the military spec D90:
One of the many parts I'll need for this is the stubby intake baffles. I think these were originally fitted instead of a snorkel, but I think desert spec ones got a snorkel fitted too. I've knocked one up in CAD and have just sent it out for printing. I think these'll look great. I've now got all the paints waiting to go, and am getting excited by the idea of getting some colour on there too.... but I must be patient - theres still some big areas to sort out first.

Attachments

• IMG_1570.JPG
    IMG_1570.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,277
  • IMG_1573.jpg
    IMG_1573.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,310
Last edited:
Baby steps again..
I've marked and cut the wheel arches to maximise the possible wheel travel.
Marked out:

I started cutting with thread, but got impatient and reached for the trusty coping saw:

With the wheel arch cover fitted:

I also cut the roof back to 'Wolf' spec (still some work to do there):

On the 3D printing front, i modelled up the wolf rear cage and released it for printing:

Nice cage, winder if it will fit the 4 door version

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice cage, winder if it will fit the 4 door version

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Send me a picture and the measurements front to back and width. I could do a shorter or longer version easily enough. It's an expensive print though!

This week has seen progress in the form of a load of printed parts turning up.
The cage:
Rear bumper (replacing the aluminium one) and updated shock hoops.
And finally, the Wolf intake baffles.

Theres not much excuse now for not cracking on with some paintwork.

Attachments

• IMG_1587.jpg
    IMG_1587.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 1,217
  • IMG_1590.jpg
    IMG_1590.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,212
  • IMG_1591.jpg
    IMG_1591.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 1,208
Last edited:
Almost forgot, we also got the jerry can and steel mounting rack:
I'm really impressed wth the Shapeways steel parts. The finish and definition are really good, and pricing is not outrageous, especially when you consider the process you are paying for.
I'm really pleased with the jerry can and rack. I originally made the noob mistake of trying a 1/10 scale part - but noticing it looked wrong, i measured up and found the body is 1/8.5 scale. I made the jerry can to this scale, and it looks way better.

Attachments

• IMG_0308.JPG
    IMG_0308.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 1,184
  • IMG_0312.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,180
Last edited:
Started some of the painting. I'm using a adhesion promoter first to try and avoid paint flaking when in use.

I was about to start painting the body, but think i'm going to make some slotted style door handles and a forward position fuel filler first:

The doors of perception

Slotted door handles came in.
I cut the holes out using the thread method. Worked really well - a satisfying little job really.
A bit of filler, a bit of paint, makes things look like wot they aint.
Very pleased with the result!

Attachments

• IMG_1634.jpg
    IMG_1634.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,181
  • IMG_1629.jpg
    IMG_1629.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 1,175
  • IMG_1627.jpg
    IMG_1627.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 1,181
Last edited:
Intake baffle looking good, and Wolf fuel filler coming along too. The cap is a working screw fit. The old filler recess now blanked off.

Attachments

• IMG_1632.jpg
    IMG_1632.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,163
  • IMG_1630.jpg
    IMG_1630.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,163
  • IMG_1594.jpg
    IMG_1594.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 1,158
Last edited:
Finished doors:

Attachments

• IMG_1645.jpg
    IMG_1645.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 1,154
Last edited:
It's all starting to come together. Unfortunately the paint on the body doesn't match (the same) paint used on doors. I'll have to blow them all over with yet another can. I reckon the paint will have cost more than the Raffee body before i'm done. It's all just a dry fit at this stage.

I'm stalled on my decision over fitting a winch. I'm leaning towards the ssd ox. Just not sure i really need to do it for the sort of use this rig will see most of the time.

Attachments

• IMG_1657.jpg
    IMG_1657.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 1,153
Last edited:
Yes, the hoops fit great. The pick-up bed sits flat down on the frame rails.

I know you have traxxas 2661 shocks, which are 93mm. The body is going to sit quite high over the axles with those, but if your tyres are more than 95-100mm dia, you'll maybe need this anyway. You could internally limit them to tweak ride height.

I have 2660 shocks (83mm), 14x60mm 1.3lb/in springs and 94mm dia tyres. These just slightly rub the arches at full articulation, and have about 30% sag.

The beast is really close now... even had a short run around the garden. I'm gonna cry when it first goes over on rocks!
The wheels finally turned up after waiting for 2 months. Shop website said "in stock, 2-3 days delivery". Mmmmm. They're gmade sr02 wheels. These are usefully heavy wheels and i'm really happy with them. Nice bolts.
I still have lights and light lenses to colour an fit. Any tips on doing this are welcome. Painting is not my strong point. The dashboard needs some attention to make something out of its potential too.
Still waiting on my headlight grills that are being printed in steel. The front end should be a pretty good replica with these. With sharp eyes you will see i've already made some mods the get the front end much closer to a wolf compared to the stock raffee body.

Attachments

• IMG_1670.jpg
    IMG_1670.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 1,144
  • IMG_1669.jpg
    IMG_1669.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 1,124
  • IMG_1667.jpg
    IMG_1667.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 1,413
  • IMG_1664.jpg
    IMG_1664.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 1,218
Last edited:
Wow! outstanding good sir, over the top. Your truck should be on display at the Smithsonian Institution "thumbsup" "thumbsup" "thumbsup" "thumbsup" "thumbsup"

~D

Some accessories for the hood are next for modelling. I'm thinking Shapeways metal for the shovel blade and pick head.

Back