• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

RC4WD Tacoma SCX10II

TorchBenny

I gave it too many beans...
Subscribed Member
I guess my first post here might as well be of my first custom build I've ever done that I completed a couple months back. Like many, I've lusted after a full scale taco to tear into and build. But, alas, living in SF makes it a bit difficult in terms of parking, garage access, and the ever present "I know what I've got, my 24yr old truck is worth $14k" sellers. All that making it a difficult acquisition, a 1/10th scale would have to do.

But, where to start? I'd never build an RC truck before and caught the bug when a friend took me out crawling over new years in Bend, OR this winter. A lot of this truck was inspired by the RC4WD Tacoma thread here and Goro Majima's build thread(big help with the motor/servo ideas) as well as a full scale SAS build I've been nerding out to. There's still things I want to tweak in time, cause is an RC truck ever finished? Turns out no, haha

So I present to you, the fine folks of rccralwer.com, my RC4WD Safety Meeting Taco!

Parts List:

Chassis:
Axial SCX10ii C rails
Rock Pirates front and rear shock towers
No name aluminum Amazon skid plate(on the swap list for something that slides better)
Team Brood/LCX cross members and rear bumper mounts
Rock Pirates servo tray
Scalerfab front and rear bumpers and rock sliders with Warn fairlead
Rock pirates battery tray
No name Amazon "carbon" battery tray for rear of truck
Amazon fuel cell receiver box
Magnetic body mounts for more scale look(feeling kinda meh on this decision, tbh. They don't hold in a rollover. Maybe if I can find some stronger ones?)

Drivetrain/Suspension:
Vanquish transmission, 13t pinion, driveshafts and links
HYBDX axles(also on the swap list for the future, maybe Supershafty or Vanquish?)
RC4WD 90mm King shocks with 1 white and 1 stock spring from the spring kit and Team Factory 50wt oil. I wanted the scale look despite the leaking complaints I read about. Mine seem to be ok with the 50wt, very slight seep, nothing too bad imo. They perform well once tuned, and don't seem to unload in bad places. This truck is also heavier which might help. I think on a lighter truck I could maybe see them being a little wonky?

Wheels/Tires:
SSD 1.9 Steel Trail
BFG KM3 4.19(wanted to stay close to full scale look on 40's)
SL3D Squid Inserts

Electronics:
1Tenth BMF695 servo
Reefs Micro Winch with NSDRC Micro Servo Winch Adapter Plate from DLUX
Team Brood Riot S 1050KV motor
Holmes Hobby Crawlmaster V3
Radiolink R6FG receiver
Radiolink RC4GS V2 transmitter
GensAce Adventure 3600 3S battery
My Trick RC Dragon light controller(with reverse light setup) with Attack spot lights and Attack halogen headlights on the front, 2 - 2" Attack light bars as rock lights, various 3mm and 5mm led for rear lights.(the wiring definitely got away from me đź« )

IMG_2039.jpgIMG_2040.jpgIMG_2041.jpgIMG_2042.jpgIMG_1827.jpgIMG_1334.jpgIMG_1336.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2038.jpg
    IMG_2038.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 3
I bet all those "alloy bits" make this rig a bit less bouncy and act more like a 1:1.

Cool build, and welcome to the forum!

Great bumper/rock slider-to-body scale matchup... (y)

Pretty sweet lookin first gen. You got fine resolution on those scenic pics. Very niiiice

Thanks all! Believe it or not, I shot all of these on an iPhone 14 Pro, haha. I do have a proper SLR and DSLR I should shoot come cool photos with at some point.

First off, I appreciate that shout out! It's definitely cool to hear I was a part of your inspiration for a build and it looks nicely done. And nice of you to join RCC bro.

Secondly, you're in SF! I'm a few hours north of you. Have you gone to any spots in your area like Mt. Diablo?

I have a group going to Rock City at Mt. Diablo next month if you're interested. DM if interested bro.

Very very nice! The Taco was my first custom build as well. What front and rear bumpers are you running that match so we’ll are they custom from scalerfab?

@surfishjoe Yo! The front bumper was the SCX10II UMG10. I had to bust out the dremel and do a little bit of additional fabrication on my end for clearance and could probs hack it down a touch more TBH. I also had to drill a pair of mounting holes to lower the bumper a touch and match with the rear for how the body was sitting. I basically wanted the body sitting parallel off the rock sliders a touch and resting on the front/rear bumper. Then I just mocked up the front bumper to align with the front of the body after trimming off the stock bumper mounting points and marked and drilled the holes.

The rear was the SCX10II XJ. The cool thing about ScalerFab is you can select a custom widths for things. If I remember correctly, I think I did 170mm wide front and rear. If I had to do it again, I would've maybe gone a tiny bit wider on the bumpers. Maybe like 1-2mm I did full custom measurements on the Double Bar rock sliders also.
IMG_2346.jpg

Back