• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

R.E.C.O.N. Crawlers Iced Out Winter Series rnd 2 Wingfield Park Reno, NV

STOP THE PRESSES! STOP THE PRESSES! R.E.C.O.N. Iced Out Winter Series round 2 lived up to the hype. What hype, you ask? Well, if you are new to the r/c comp scene, this is a fair question and that will be answered as you live this recap and read about one of the most impressive driving performances of 2011. As the saying goes, do as I say, not as I do; so listen up, kick off those slippers, turn the volume ALL the way up, and push play on this link,
Steve Aoki & Laidback Luke ft. Lil Jon - Turbulence - YouTube
and prepare for the RECON Iced Out Winter Series round 2….TURBULENCE!!!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Living up to its name, Iced Out, delivered with frigid temps and the glimmering sheen of ice on some of the rocks. I arrived before sun up and embraced <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Kayak</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Park</st1:placeType></st1:place> like an old friend, since it has been almost 2.5 years since we have comped here. Yes, that is correct and I don’t hide the fact that living in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Reno</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">NV</st1:State></st1:place> has been a true blessing. There is more rock around here to comp on that I could host comps every weekend of the year and a driver would never see the same area! It sucks to be me.
<o:p></o:p>
<st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Kayak</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Park</st1:placeType></st1:place> has played a big part of local comp history and it offers up the one thing that I can never get enough of; clear dirt. Clear dirt is a great equalizer and will exploit the weakness in the most seasoned vet’s game if they have never comped with wet tires. Yes, I said wet, as in water or as erotic as I can say it, “clear dirt”. Water is just as much as a mind game as a challenge, because it makes a simple dry tire line, difficult.
Turbulence best describes the day. Lines that shook drivers to their very core with fear, okay, maybe most of them were cold, but your eyes never lie. I saw fear on more than one drivers face as the reality of round 2 materialized. The multi-lap course was an ass kicker and I enjoyed driving every minute of it. The extended course showcased the driving talents of our National Champion, Brian “Burbo” Lorenz, as he progressed to gate 9 of the extended course. This is huge when you consider the next closest driver cleared gate 3 of the C-2 extended course and most 2.2 pros found themselves dealing with an unlucky gate 7 of C-2. The Progression Bonus Course played phenomenal. Drivers had to choose wisely the bonus gates that they wanted to attempt, because the course gates had several drivers hitting turbulence. Hell, some just flat out stalled in their tracks.
For good measure and proper driver melt down, a standard course of some gnarly rip rap with tire sucking holes and loose dirt was pure fun with John Hall, 1:1 comp driving phenom, laid down a perfect run. Simply amazing to watch a line visionary make the impossible, possible. Quickly becoming every drivers favorite course, the Area 5150 course, where the government still won’t tell us where the reverse penalties went and to add to the ground shaking turbulence, all gates were one directional. Imagine that, a gate that a driver had to drive through and continue in a forward. Yup, no berg skirt wearing crawlers here, progress the gate and keep going. There was crazy turbulence on this course that sent drivers reeling into a tailspin of r/c crawling conspiracy.
The control tower just radioed in; the driver that caused the most turbulence of round 2 was Jacob Henline, a BYBRCC Driver and still getting his comp cherry busted on Parker Courses. Jacob and his dad, Robert, made this a family outing and bookended the top ten. Congratulations to this father and son duo that flipped the script at <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Kayak</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Park</st1:placeType></st1:place>. Jacob drove C-3 with controlled aggression. He saw his line and drove it. The BYBRCC are producing some of the best r/c crawlers in the Nor-Cal area and it is becoming very apparent that the RECON Satellite Club is living up to the mission statement. I could not be more proud to say, “Great Job, Jacob, George, and the rest of the BYBRCC Crew”.
Turbulence was felt by everybody all day long. The cold weather caught all of us off guard with rig set up and it showed as drivers struggled with cold lipos, stiff foams, and numb fingers. I was warmed by seeing Tim and Cass, old friends with a passion for r/c crawling. I was stoked to see another old friend, Daniel, who took a break from crawling, to put in a 4<SUP>th</SUP> place finish, very impressive for a driver who has never driven the new course formats. A big shout out to Raul Velasco for a top five finish. Raul has really honed his driving skills and is becoming a podium threat.
A big “THANK YOU” to the judges, Chasinbaja, Spucknit, Unibomber, and Willy D and George Z for relieving Spucknit. One huger thank you, for a little lady, Sha-no-no, for all she does. From scorekeeping to driving, she does it all well.
Before the results, we had some driver turbulence that has to be dealt with. I am guilty of providing drivers with an experience that transcends the normal and you have a better chance to pass a solid gold turd before I change that. A “Parker Course” has many levels to the lay out so that every driver, regardless of skill level, is challenged on his or her road to being a better driver. It is what I do and I do it for the Drivers that get it. If you have a problem, come see me, I’m a problem solver. I don’t ask volunteers to stand out in 30 degree weather for drivers that get butt hurt or throw a temper tantrum because you don’t want to listen to veteran’s advice. Leave your piss poor attitudes at home and bring your sense of adventure and you’ll leave a better driver.
Thank you to all the Drivers and without further delay, here is the RECON Iced Out Winter Series rnd 2 results:

Attachments

• Iced Out rnd 2 PRO.JPG
    Iced Out rnd 2 PRO.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 250
What a great day!!! I love seeing old faces again. The weather could have been a bit warmer but it is the "iced out" series!

The best part of the day for me was judging Parker on my course. It's not very often that I get to correct him on the rules but when it happens I love it!!! If anybody remembers gate #9 they know it was a "little off camber drop" onto the beach. When Parker drove it he hit the bottom and flopped onto his lid into the "clear dirt" aka WATER!!! He says "judge, I will take a 5 point roll over!" but he had forgotten that in a ribboned off section it is a 10 point touch/repo!!!! Ha ha ha!!! That made my day!!!"thumbsup"

Gate 9 was sketchy. I was stoked when I was able to avoid the "cleaered dirt". It was funny, Parker was walking around "talking" about "cleared dirt" and I was thinking...What's "cleared dirt". Silly me. Thanks to everyone who made this comp possible. You guys rule. "thumbsup""thumbsup"

RECON Crawlers Iced Out Winter Series rnd 2 Sport Class Recap/Results
A long, long, time ago, there wasn’t a class for new drivers of r/c crawling to hone their skills in, so R.E.C.O.N. Crawlers introduced the 2.2 Novice Class for those drivers. The Novice Class has evolved with the times and seen a name change to the Sport Class, but the foundation remains the same; give drivers new to the sport a place to flourish before jumping into the 2.2 Pro Class. This class truly is comprised of sport drivers, not pro drivers masquerading as sport drivers.

The R.E.C.O.N. Iced Out Winter Series Sport Class is beginning to heat up and after rnd 2 this is any driver’s championship to win. Round 1 at Pyramid Lake, NV saw Jason Perrine, aka Losi Jay, dominate the field and claim a rnd 1 win. Round 2 held at KayakPark in downtown Reno, NV was dominated by an Action Jackson.

Young Luke Jackson spanked C-4 and C-5 and stayed consistent on the rest of the courses to grab a decisive win in the Sport Class. Luke is trying to follow in big brother’s footsteps and become the next Action Jackson to be crowned the Overall Sport Champion. Nick Jackson earned the title last year and is currently in a tight Pro Rookie points race.

Securing second place on the podium is 9 year old driving phenom Zack Clark. Zack’s Dad is a nationally ranked 2.2 and 1.9 driver and graduated PMP with a doctorate of driving. Zack pilots an AX-10 and this is his second season since Dad has cut the comp leash on young Zack to run his own courses.

James Stewart, the slower, lighter version, battled all day with rnd 1 winner Losi Jay and when the shaved ice had thawed; James found himself frozen in the third place position of the podium just 3 points ahead of Losi Jay. This was James first time back on the rocks since his r/c crawling training with the Himalayan Pebble Levitator Alliance, allegedly. Welcome back James.

Congratulations to all the drivers in the Sport Class and we are all watching intently as the drama unfolds during the next several rounds of exciting r/c rock crawling like only RECON Crawlers can deliver!

Here are the RECON Crawlers Iced Out Winter Series rnd 2 results;

Attachments

• Iced out rnd 2 sport.JPG
    Iced out rnd 2 sport.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 187
Back