• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Portal Axled Series III Land Rover - All Finished!

Okay, so here's where I'm at so far.

Boatsides/side body mounts painted up and reinstalled.

This is my first attempt at the traction bar. As you can see, it's mounted to the bottom of the pumpkin and then also mounted at the chassis just rear of the leaf mount. I suspect that I should weld a bar halfway up and then attach at the top of the pumpkin as well?

Also got all the electrics roughly placed in the boatsides and everything's sitting pretty. Have to finish up the interior, but I'm getting there. More seats are needed for the second row.

Got the rear seats finished and primed last night. Slowly but surely. Not a perfect rendition of John's replacement rear seats, but they'll look much better when painted.

Big update! I spent a good portion of last night, and all day today grinding out some stuff that needed doing. The interior has really come together. Still some stuff to do, but there's a lot of progress made. Pouring over the reference pix that John provided me were invaluable.

I managed to get this box done. Looks like a spare fuel tank/boot holder. :laugh:

The second row of seats are aftermarket and I did my best to replicate them. The front seats had one very cool zebra covers on them which I had a fun time duplicating.

I spent a lot of time on the exterior as well. The from grille and headlights got a lot of attention. John has obviously painted this rig a couple times, and at one point, it's been yellow, and blue under the maroon. Paid attention to where it's showing through on the 1:1.

I've got a lot of work to do, but it's getting there!

Did a little more work that I hadn't documented yet.

Got the spare tire together, just need to build the mount for it and strap it in.

I also built this control panel that Joh has mounted on the roof on the driver's side.

It's a bunch of switches and lights that controls who knows what. I put a clear piece of lexan behind the holes I drilled for the lights and painted a bunch of different colours for the lights to be seen with a backlight.

I lock-tited every bolt on the chassis tonight, and also made the CB radio. Yeah, I'm pretty proud of that little thing. You might also notice I swapped out the springs for the very cool chino springs sold through RPP. Much more scale and extremely functional. Swapped out the shocks for what Joh just bought as replacements. Got to be proper to scale!

Got some fenders done up by cutting some plastic Philly Dip containers. Hides everything really well.

Also got the diesel heater done and mounted. I'd never seen one of these before, but it looks pretty cool.

Homemade snorkel is done. I think John cut up a bunch of pipe and slapped it together. Works for me!

And here's the switch box and CB all mounted up. I painted up the roof to duplicate the interior of the 1:1. Looks like he pulled all the fabric upholstery headliner out and there was glue left behind.

Also started weathering the exterior, no pictures of that yet.

This thing is insane! You have awesome skills! Can't wait to see more "thumbsup"

Thanks very much. It's coming together!

Nice truck

I don't get it.

Something had been bugging me for some time. The rear windows are supposed to be square on a Series III. I decided that I couldn't continue until that was taken care of. I've been thinking a lot about how to do it, and I think I came up with the best idea.

First, test-fit the window that is supposed to mount on the outside, on the inside, and trim the mountings so they're flush with the mount holes on the outside.

Measure and cut a piece of styrene to fit in the recess where the window would normally go.

Cut that out so you've got a nice square window opening.

Glue it in place, then Putty. I'll need to see how much sanding I need to do, but I like this solution for more accuracy. The rear window in a Series is recessed anyway, so this works for me.

You might also notice some stickers are making they're way onto the truck. I grabbed them from my reference pics and adjusted them in Photoshop, then printed them on white, glossy, waterproof vinyl on my new colour laser printer. AWESOME!

I can see light at the end of the tunnel. Finally.

One side done, one side to go. Also added a few more bits from the 1:1.

Here's a shot of all the interior junk. Haven't found scale lei's yet. Still looking.

Here's the lei's.

And with that, this build is nearing completion. I got all the windows in and trim painted. Everything in the interior is done. The lights work and I took it for a tiny test drive in the basement. It's very smooth, quiet and crazy powerful on 3S. I'm in love. The only thing left to do is thread lock a few more bolts, add a few metal emblems, do a bit more weathering, and paint "LAND - ROVER" on the front.

Oh, and take some wicked pictures and make an awesome video or two.

Here's mini-fridge:

It's a Harry Potter action figure that I modified a bit so he could sit comfortably in his seat. Looks like a dead ringer for 1:1 fridge!

Also finally got the courage to paint "Land - Rover" on th front grille. Not bad!

Video's up!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/o_nAluKsFzU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

WOW!

I know of John as he's on the same LR forum I'm on as well as being in the same club. That is an absolutely amazing build "thumbsup""thumbsup"

Turned out great! Love the video! haha "thumbsup"

Thanks very much!

Fantastic work on your rig! "thumbsup"
Great vid, well done!

I appreciate it, thank you!

WOW!

I know of John as he's on the same LR forum I'm on as well as being in the same club. That is an absolutely amazing build "thumbsup""thumbsup"

Awesome! John's very happy with it. He joined Scale4x4 and SBG so he could follow along with the build. Great bloke, great rig!

Awesome vid man, love it! Rover looks great as well!

Thanks!

Here's some pix from the same location as the teaser vid:

My buddy Headquake did an awesome video on Friday. Check it!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bFS6rrKOzjY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back