• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Phoenix straight axle build questions

Derwood

Started assembling the straight axle kit but have not chosen a motor yet. I really like the reviews on the HW Fusion but see conflicting reports on fitting up to the transmission. Some say just grind the little tab away and others say motor can is too long. Can anyone verify fitment? Also, any other brushless motors that would offer similar performance for the price?
I'm guessing the motor install needs to be before the transmission build. Can motors be swapped without tearing down the bell housing first? Many thanks and will start posting images once we get to body details.

DH

Old-skool, no longer available Fusion does not fit. The Fusion Pro fits without issue, I'm running three of them in VFD Twins. The new Fusion SE is the same footprint as the Pro, so it will fit as well.
You can build the gearbox without the motor in place, there is enough room to "tip it in." it is easier to build it all at once, and if you have the transmission installed in the rig, you 100% have to take it out to get a motor in or out.

Here's my marathon build of the Twin for my straight axle Phoenix-- which folks have told me is a pretty good "playing in the background" helper: https://youtu.be/ecYtyQmPlQg

Thanks for the help guys....Currently looking at the Fusion Pro 2300kv and would like input on similar priced (read: cheaper if possible) motor combinations. The pro seems to have great modulation but I am a noob with sensored systems in cars.

DH

Last edited:
Back