• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Out of the SMOG - A Twin Hammers

smog

Slow is the new Fast
Subscribed Member
Since getting back into the hobby a few years ago I have collected a fair number of RC's. There are currently two Twin Hammers in my garage, one is a stock RTR and the other, this one, is the kit version. After having so much fun with original RTR, I had a hard time resisting the kit. Needless to say not many trips to the LHS passed before it fell into my cart.

In light of the incredible build threads on this site, I hesitate to cast this page in the same light. I am putting this down as more of a record of what I have done to this rig to make it my own and be a refinement of Vaterra's stock offering.

Where it's at:

Electronics/Motor : Tekin Redline 17.5T Brushless Sensored Motor w/ RS Gen 2 ESC
Spektrum S6030 High Torque, metal gear servo

Suspension/Steering : Stock coilovers in rear
GCM front shock tower plate
Axial aluminum front shocks (Icon branded w/faux reservoir)
Vanquish aluminum Steering Knuckles and Caster Blocks
Sr.Irie Bell Crank Steering
Vanquish Trailing Arms
Vanquish Titanium rear upper links
Rear Axle Truss

Wheels and Tires : Stock Super Swamper Tires
Proline Denali Wheels

Here it is by appearance:
smog-71996-albums4083-57393.jpg

Far and away my favorite difference from the RTR has been the electronics. I am running the 2nd Gen. Tekin Redline Brushless Sensored System. The motor is the 17.5 Turn. I am currently on a 24T pinion, but am planning to bump it up a few teeth.

smog-71996-albums4083-57705.jpg

smog-71996-albums4083-57704.jpg

The front suspension has been modified using the GCM front shock tower plate. I swapped in the Axial Icon shocks with the faux remote reservoir to complete the mod.

smog-71996-albums4083-59443.jpg

smog-71996-albums4083-59447.jpg

Next I picked up Sr.Irie's bell crank steering kit to tighten the front end. Awesome!

The front steering knuckles and Caster blocks as well as rear trailing arms were upgraded with Vanquish aluminum parts.

The rear upper links were replaced with Vanquish titanium. I also added a rear axle truss to help temper the buggy's torque twist

smog-71996-albums4083-59444.jpg

The exo cage was modified with GCM's buggy roof.

smog-71996-albums4083-57394.jpg

The final touches were the Rasta inspired paint job and most importantly the coolest driver in the history of 80's television. B.A.Baracus(MR.T)

smog-71996-albums4083-59442.jpg

Well I guess that's all for now. I likely forgot something, but I can always add it in later.

:mrgreen:

Last edited:
Nice common sense build, looks like a fun drive!

Thread revival:ror:!

It is a fun rig, thanks Nate. Without a blistering top end, I tend to keep it away from wide open spaces. It makes a great little trail blazer though. It's compact chassis runs nicely through relatively technical terrain.

Back