• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Natedog's Vaterra ASCENDER

Thanks, you're using the hole closest to the front to mount the top of the shocks? That is the upper shock mount needs to com forward so that you can get the shock in close and parallel to the frame.
They used steel Traxxas link mount ball as upper shock mount in Shapeways pics.
Definitely need shorter rockers.

I'm a little confused because the shocks ARE parallel to the frame when everything is bolted up? Am I wrong?

Below is an incredibly technical diagram indicating which bolt the spring shock end is being mounted to per the shapeways pictures. "thumbsup"

8628ff20e5fbd0a8ad61a3abec0dea25.jpg

That appears to be the upper shock mount hole Shapeways shows to use. No instrunctions?

Viewed from the top, your shocks are not parallel to the frame, they spread out at the rear of the truck. Not good for smoothness.

That appears to be the upper shock mount hole Shapeways shows to use. No instrunctions?

Viewed from the top, your shocks are not parallel to the frame, they spread out at the rear of the truck. Not good for smoothness.

No instructions - either for cantilever kit or mount :(.

You may be right about the spread I thought you were talking about looking at the chassis from the side.

I'd consider leading the rear with the GCM stage 2 kit but they're sold out and so are the shock relocation kits. So it's either figure something acceptable out with what I have or play the waiting game for a while.

avgatbest

Not a long enough in-depth test. :oops: They are still great in sand and loose dirt, good width and kinda like paddles...or TSLs. :mrgreen:

I'll get more pics up later so you can see the tread is getting broken in, worked hard and shaved down, just not working out for me long-term.

Last edited:
1.9 Tire comparison
Duratrax Deepwoods CR after more testing (with CI DW for TSLXL), new set of Vaterra TSLs (CI DW foam for TSLXL with ribs trimmed off), my original set of Vaterra TSL (CI DW foam for Pitbull Rockbeast II) after much use.

Duratrax Deepwoods CR

I LOVE my vaterra tsl's. You seem to too. How do the duratrac's compare? Is the wear from climbing/spinning on rocks? They clean themselves out in the mud?
Ben

Yes, the Vaterra TSLs look and work great...love mine too. Duratrax are not up to the same level, they are not the worst tires I've used, but they are not great either. Hopefully Duratrax will change the compound so that it's stickier and the lugs have more support. The wear is from climbing/spinning on granite slabs. They cleaned out no problem in the light mud they encountered, didn't have any really sticky mud at the moment, but I think they will be ok with that based on the lug design and the lighter mud already encountered.

[QUOTE I'd consider leading the rear with the GCM stage 2 kit but they're sold out and so are the shock relocation kits. So it's either figure something acceptable out with what I have or play the waiting game for a while.
avgatbest[/QUOTE]

I do believe they are done with the stage 2 kit, I managed to get the Stage 3 kit about 3 weeks ago ... havnt done anything with it yet.

GCM Webstore Canada International - Stage 3 Ascender Leaf Spring Kit

I friggin love this truck Nate. It's my favorite after mine of course. So simple, stock looking but gets it done! Love the pictures and the scenery you have too. Keep it up man!! Run this truck FOREVER!! lol I wish you put some type of tracking evidently record how many hours and miles it's travelled. Wish I did on mine too.
Ben

I do believe they are done with the stage 2 kit, I managed to get the Stage 3 kit about 3 weeks ago ... havnt done anything with it yet.

GCM Webstore Canada International - Stage 3 Ascender Leaf Spring Kit

8) "thumbsup"

I friggin love this truck Nate. It's my favorite after mine of course. So simple, stock looking but gets it done! Love the pictures and the scenery you have too. Keep it up man!! Run this truck FOREVER!! lol I wish you put some type of tracking evidently record how many hours and miles it's travelled. Wish I did on mine too.
Ben

Thanks Ben, yours is a sweet Blazer too! Gotta find time to assemble my 2speed, still deciding on which Hitec mini servo. Yes, wish I had an engine hours meter or something like a real truck lol. :lmao:"thumbsup"

[QUOTE I'd consider leading the rear with the GCM stage 2 kit but they're sold out and so are the shock relocation kits. So it's either figure something acceptable out with what I have or play the waiting game for a while.

avgatbest

GCM Webstore Canada International - Stage 3 Ascender Leaf Spring Kit[/QUOTE]

Everything except the stage 1 kit is sold out.

8) "thumbsup"

Thanks Ben, yours is a sweet Blazer too! Gotta find time to assemble my 2speed, still deciding on which Hitec mini servo. Yes, wish I had an engine hours meter or something like a real truck lol. :lmao:"thumbsup"

I'm running the stock spektrum servo that the twin hammers uses. Got it new take off from rcrecycler on ebay. Works fine. Once I set it up, never had an issue. Only issue was like I posted about was the shift fork and sliding clutch binding just a bit but that's another topic.
Ben

Nice looking spot Nate! Where do you usually crawl and is there a local scene out near the Sac area? I have a buddy that's wants to get a crawler who lives in Sac. Trying to steer him into an Ascender or SCX10 II but it'd be nice if there was a local scene like we have out here in Sonoma County to learn and hang out with.

Back