• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Making a Rock Rey a rock bouncer

I'm looking at a new esc after putting it into thermal shutdown which is a real shame I thought I had that in the bag .

But after reading the specs carefully and slowly realising it would be stressing both motor and esc with my driving style ( aggressive) .

So I'm looking for advice , Iv decided I'm definitely going for the mamba monster x and looking at the 1515 sensored as I love the smoothness ,of the sensored motors ,
Would this be a good choice ?
The rig is exactly 7.5 lbs and I will be putting maybe another small battery pack in for the lights .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went Mamba X w/ the Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro 540XL 3500kv in my Baja Rey and it's a fantastic sensored combo.

Had the Mamba X w/ a Castle 1410 3800kv in my Yeti and it seemed slightly underpowered, so def get the bigger Castle motors like the 1515 you mentioned if you prefer to stick w/ Castle.

I went Mamba X w/ the Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro 540XL 3500kv in my Baja Rey and it's a fantastic sensored combo.

Had the Mamba X w/ a Castle 1410 3800kv in my Yeti and it seemed slightly underpowered, so def get the bigger Castle motors like the 1515 you mentioned if you prefer to stick w/ Castle.

Thanks dbdynasty ,

Hopefully they'll replace it under warranty but I'm not holding my breath [emoji106]

You might have to do some dremel work to the motor cover, depending on the pinion you choose, with the 1515.

Im going to be installing a MMX and Holmes PP 540XL 3500kv with 10T pinion, on 3s. Should be uncontrollable, lol.

You might have to do some dremel work to the motor cover, depending on the pinion you choose, with the 1515.

Im going to be installing a MMX and Holmes PP 540XL 3500kv with 10T pinion, on 3s. Should be uncontrollable, lol.

Yeah man that sounds like it's going to be a good combo , I'll do anything to get this thing back on the rocks it was amazing for about 30 minutes lol

Hopefully it won't need much as the 1410 is clear by roughly 10mm and the 1515 is only 6 mm larger so should still have some clearance [emoji106]

Yeah your right there's only about 3 mm spare under the van so some dremell work is most definitely needed , there plenty of room still length wise though [emoji106]
And man that thing is definitely fast hopefully plenty of torque to boot !! Should be perfect for my needs :)
Had a very positive response from castle so hopefully they'll be able to sort something out for me
[emoji106]

Yeah your right there's only about 3 mm spare under the van so some dremell work is most definitely needed , there plenty of room still length wise though [emoji106]
And man that thing is definitely fast hopefully plenty of torque to boot !! Should be perfect for my needs :)
Had a very positive response from castle so hopefully they'll be able to sort something out for me
[emoji106]

I don't know if you're gonna have enough room lengthwise. Check this out:

20170630_234706_zpsat569vnm.jpg

Only about 7-8mm behind the HH 540XL and it's 63mm long. Gonna be really tight.

(I had posted this earlier but it disappeared for some reason)

Last edited:
Your right it would be too tight I'm getting mixed up thought the 1515 was the same size can as the 1512 or very close and just checked the specs and the 1512 fits and the 1515 is too big thanks for pointing that out man could of been another disaster [emoji15]
Ps I can't see the pic just a photo bucket banner telling me I need to update my account ! [emoji106]thanks again man

Your right it would be too tight I'm getting mixed up thought the 1515 was the same size can as the 1512 or very close and just checked the specs and the 1512 fits and the 1515 is too big thanks for pointing that out man could of been another disaster [emoji15]
Ps I can't see the pic just a photo bucket banner telling me I need to update my account ! [emoji106]thanks again man

How about now? :) Photobucket sucks...I much preferred ImageShack, but they went premium.

Ya, now the picture works.

PB is done now, they want $400 a year for 3rd party hosting and obviously no one will pay that.

What did you burn out?

I've been thinking more about sensored as if it crawled slowly it kind of would be the perfect truck. The HW 140A sensored ESC is really affordable and with say the 3660 motor probability a real powerhouse. Not waterproof but my servo isn't and I'm less keen getting an expensive sensored rig wet.

The stock setup is definitely really powerful and doesn't even get hot even if you run a whole lipo doing rock bashing up hills flat out so I'd want something with a decent thermal envelope. I don't think I could justify $500AUD for the Castle gear when I can get the HW setup for about $285.

yea sensored would be a dream rig TBH man. I'm going to burn thru the stocker setup, see how long it lasts. Can you imagine ripping full throttle on speed runs and then hitting some gnarly U4 terrain? Man!

I have a Mamba X and HH PP 3800 sensored setup on the Wraith but that is more my trail rig. It is fantastic on 3s.

Last edited:
Yeah lol theres not much room even for a rizla paper lol all jokes aside do you think there would be heat issues running into the servo and getting that hot , I have no or very little electrical understanding lol you may have already gathered that tho but I am learning thanks to this hobby [emoji23]

That was my first thought but that motor is super overkill and I doubt you'll get it hot enough to transfer the heat.

What kv 1515 are you looking at and what cell battery will you run?

Back