• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Land Rover Series 1

cooper_xl

Rock Crawler
I was reading a magazine dedicated to the first Land Rover and those ugly Series 1 began to seduce me. Learned that the Willys is related to the origin of the Land Rover and the 80" shares the same wheelbase
And I have a Rochobby Willys 1:6...how cool will be swap the body for a 1:6 Series 1? There's not many scale Series 1 being made

So:
3E6OyGf.jpg

I'm modeling the truck(tractor? ) and the plan is to 3D print the most complex parts and scratchbuilt the big, straight ones out of styrene. I'm aiming for the very first ones, with the lights behind the grille

Hopefully, fitting the chassis with no modifications. Don't know the length but it is 250mm wide and the tires are tucked in like the 1:1

I'll post some substance so you don't think that's one more project from that guy who never finishes them:

Machined headlights and lenses

jffIGGWh.jpg

Mesh for the grille

cewkyaDh.jpg

Door hinges

tRel8jmh.jpg

The hood...pardon.. the bonnet:

8jnUpyLh.jpg

a0l7nydh.jpg

I'm digging where this is going. *subscribed* :popcorn:

"thumbsup""thumbsup"

Well. my plan is to make a direct chassis swap on the RocHobby so I can use the Willys again without much trouble but...making axle crossed my mind. For now is just the body but in the future, who knows? a chassis and axles with leaf springs could be a nice side project to make after this

By the way, designed the rear to have a "3D template" to cut the pieces in styrene
j7IBOvoh.jpg

One thing I've wanted to do on this build is scratchbuilding with styrene.. I've only done it with PVC sheet...Styrene is way better. Easy to cut and less messy overall . 3D printing is great but I hate the long printing times and sanding afterwards( and I'm ignoring redoing parts...)

This is the rear section, in 2mm sheet, bonded with Tamiya cement

APUIhDeh.jpg

Dnjo0uEh.jpg

ax30FfHh.jpg

Beautiful, I was just considering the possibility of printing with a cf infused filament this morning. Nice to see you mixing in some styrene work as well. This will be enjoyable to watch unfold. Thanks for sharing it

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk

Beautiful, I was just considering the possibility of printing with a cf infused filament this morning. Nice to see you mixing in some styrene work as well. This will be enjoyable to watch unfold. Thanks for sharing it

I'm using PETG-CF from GST and,considering I've never had much luck with regular PETG, this is like printing with PLA(with the proper settings). The finish is a bit rough but sands nicely . Even supports come out clean

looks like a awesome project

Thank you! I'm in a standstill at the moment because the plan of putting this on the RocHobby chassis is no more...hits in some places and I don't want to make compromises and look bad(like lift the body....)

Thank you! I'm in a standstill at the moment because the plan of putting this on the RocHobby chassis is no more...hits in some places and I don't want to make compromises and look bad(like lift the body....)

Keep in mind, if "Scale" is the goal, specific vehicles even running moderate off road tires (a great example would be a 1996-2001 Toyota 4Runner) require a 1.5-2" Body lift to clear 33" tall by 10-12" wide tires And even then some light body work is required (we call it hammering the pinch weld, which is the body line of the cab to door pillar transition in the front wheel well, needs to be hammered flat against the cab).

So a bit of space (think sub 5mm) would be equal to a 1.5-2" body lift at 1/10th scale. 8)

Keep in mind, if "Scale" is the goal, specific vehicles even running moderate off road tires (a great example would be a 1996-2001 Toyota 4Runner) require a 1.5-2" Body lift to clear 33" tall by 10-12" wide tires And even then some light body work is required (we call it hammering the pinch weld, which is the body line of the cab to door pillar transition in the front wheel well, needs to be hammered flat against the cab).

So a bit of space (think sub 5mm) would be equal to a 1.5-2" body lift at 1/10th scale. 8)

Thanks for the tip! I scaled the blueprints and it shows a 120mm tire. My plan is to run a narrow 120mm but that don't exist . I'm making cut and shut tires

Another small thing:

LlaLpMph.jpg

hDE1KiFh.jpg

On the 1:1, this half of the hinge is welded to the bulkhead so I've made them thicker with a shape that matches a cut in the bulkhead and assembled with glue + screw that will be covered . That solves the problems of parts' position and alignment. The pin is a 1mm steel nail

So cool! I need to get off of my lazy ace and get both my printers running and use my cad skills for something

So cool! I need to get off of my lazy ace and get both my printers running and use my cad skills for something
Printers are such good tools for RC....I've made parts that aren't possible otherwise...servo mounts, axles...

Progress is slow. Spent quite a bit of time researching tires for the Land Rover. Basically, I need something around 120mm, narrow and with an realistic thread pattern . Couldn't find nothing - 120mm tires are always wide

But I have a set of RC4WD Trail Busters that I've got second hand. One of my favorite tires (on looks)

They could suit the Land Rover but they are 104mm, a bit small.

So I've risked doing cut-n-shut for the first time.

Kx54dHEh.jpg

gD00k6yh.jpg

Some things could be improved but it is the very first time. I'm waiting for a new pair to arrive to do the other tires. This one could be left for the spare tire

Thanks for the tip! I scaled the blueprints and it shows a 120mm tire. My plan is to run a narrow 120mm but that don't exist . I'm making cut and shut tires
have you looked at the rock hobby Jimny wheels there vary narrow and about 5 inch tall maybe just a hair over1000002962.jpg4

Last edited:
Back