• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Just joined the Ascender family!

skinnyj

Pebble Pounder
After waffling for the last 2 weeks between a SCX-10 ii and an Ascender, I pulled the trigger on an Ascender kit last night. I bought this as a winter project that I will add the other stuff to as finances allow. I went with a kit because I have read RTR electronics are generally lacking and end up being replaced, so I figure "Get it right the first time". I also enjoy building and knowing how the vehicle goes together.

Here is what I am thinking of adding:

RC4WD 35T brushed motor
Hobbywing QuicRun 1080 ESC
FlySky GT-3C Transmitter
Savox SW-0231MG servo
Castle BEC (just in case)
Gens Ace 4600mAh 7.4V 60C 2S (short pack) battery
Wraith Sway Bar

I just need a recommendation on a decent budget AC/DC charger, as that's one thing I can't wrap my head around...

I use this one for my 4000mAh Shorty 2S (and my 4300mAh 3s full-size) LiPo packs:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/dynamite-passport-ultra-ac-dc-charger-6s-10a-100w-dync3000/p415850

Congrats on the Ascender, and welcome to the organization! Someone will be by shortly to show you our secret handshake and give you a decoder ring... ;-)

Is that a single port charger? You can get nice dual-port chargers for under $100.

I would recommend one of these three:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...utlet/advatage-one-duo-ac-dc-charger-ori30243

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGWYX&P=ML

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFLVA&P=ML

That hitec x2 will pretty much cover your growth in the hobby for a while. Mine keeps up with the needs of my xmaxx and it's big batteries no problem. "thumbsup"

I agree with rockhugger, hitec all the way. And I didn't see Codyboy axle upgrades on your list. :cry: ;-)
Ernie

That hitec x2 will pretty much cover your growth in the hobby for a while. Mine keeps up with the needs of my xmaxx and it's big batteries no problem. "thumbsup"
Sorry to hijack a thread but it seems relevant while you guys are talking about chargers. What do you think about this? I have a traxxas slash that came with the dual ez peak charger and some batteries. I am picking up my ascender this weekend and was thinking about staying with that charger and getting a few 2s or 3s shorty lipos and installing traxxas ends. This way I wouldn't need but only one charger. Do you recommend doing this

-Tyler

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Active using Tapatalk

Sorry to hijack a thread but it seems relevant while you guys are talking about chargers. What do you think about this? I have a traxxas slash that came with the dual ez peak charger and some batteries. I am picking up my ascender this weekend and was thinking about staying with that charger and getting a few 2s or 3s shorty lipos and installing traxxas ends. This way I wouldn't need but only one charger. Do you recommend doing this

-Tyler

No sorries. Just don't hijack a thread.

The ascender is a great platform!

The array of chargers is mind-boggling...'
My LHS recommended this one and it's been fantastic. 8ah covers all but the largest batteries at 1C, and you can set bal-charge point high enough for 90% capacity on the LIHV's. Easy to manage and not a huge investment.

I have yet to run out the REaction 4K mah battery on my RTR - long walks in the park, 2-3 miles, it's still going!

Kinexsis-KX80-80W-AC-DC-Charger.jpg

Browneye, might have to meet up with you for a crawl, i just remembered all of the awesome rc stuff at mile square park... at least there was in the 80s.

Ahem, anyway! Yeah i got the venom charger, it does one 3s, or two 2s. Price was right and its ac/dc.

Im still working on the handshake, and the decoder rings just tell you to drink your ovaltine. However i will give you my welcome, uh... shpeel?

Welcome to one of the best rc groups on these forums! We are very helpful and we like cats. Also we consider ourselves "ascenderholics" and we randomly say...

ASCENDERS, ASSEMBLE!!!!

and yes, do consider codyboy axles. They are worth it!

Browneye, might have to meet up with you for a crawl, i just remembered all of the awesome rc stuff at mile square park... at least there was in the 80s.

Ahem, anyway! Yeah i got the venom charger, it does one 3s, or two 2s. Price was right and its ac/dc.

Im still working on the handshake, and the decoder rings just tell you to drink your ovaltine. However i will give you my welcome, uh... shpeel?

Welcome to one of the best rc groups on these forums! We are very helpful and we like cats. Also we consider ourselves "ascenderholics" and we randomly say...

ASCENDERS, ASSEMBLE!!!!

and yes, do consider codyboy axles. They are worth it!

If you come up here we’ll meet you there - my crawler buddy lives in Huntington Beach as well. We have not been there.
I flew RC planes there when the flying field was still there.

-Tyler

You can solder new ends or use adapters - cheap on ebay.
The stock esc on the vaterra wont likely hold up on 3s - my second rig i went kit form so i could pick my electronics - everything is deans and works fine.

3s power with a 35t and 16t pinion seems to be exactly what i was looking for - good crawl and trail speed - much faster than the RTR and still crawls.

The stock esc on the vaterra wont likely hold up on 3s - my second rig i went kit form so i could pick my electronics - everything is deans and works fine.

3s power with a 35t and 16t pinion seems to be exactly what i was looking for - good crawl and trail speed - much faster than the RTR and still crawls.

Thanks for the input for motor and gearing. What do you recommend for esc upgrade if running 3s? I'll more than likely run stock esc on 3s until it goes out, or should I just go ahead and upgrade to avoid causing harm to other electronics?

I did find a battery tray replacement from another thread. This will allow for use of regular lipos and not investing in shortys
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-ascender/589521-ummm.html

http://www.bpcustomchassis.com/webs...-Relocation-Tray/p/46223083/category=11952176

I'm leaning this route and staying with one charger & battery type for my slash, scx10ii, and vaterra. This way, if nothing else I just need to get new ends.

-Tyler

There's also this Battery relocator version from the same guys:

Webstore - Bp Custom Chassis

Frankly, I could have gone this route as I ended up rotating my servo to match the images anyway. Gives you a nice little spot for a winch, or location other electronics...

BTW - you can see the OP of the thread went with the HobbyWing 1080...

There's also this Battery relocator version from the same guys:

Webstore - Bp Custom Chassis

Frankly, I could have gone this route as I ended up rotating my servo to match the images anyway. Gives you a nice little spot for a winch, or location other electronics...

BTW - you can see the OP of the thread went with the HobbyWing 1080...

Ah yeah. I saw that and wasn't sure what it was. For some reason was thinking it was something to do with the motor and failed to look it up. Thanks for clarifying. I'm getting a lot of information and learning a thing or two now as I follow some threads and ask questions. I really appreciate your help and input. Means a lot coming from veterans of the hobby

-Tyler

Hw ftw 8)

It's funny - 2017 is the year HobbyWing definitely went FTW in the rock crawler community.

If you search these forums, they've been around for a long time - but that product is, simply put, a giant killer...

Seriously, if you look around you can sometimes find it for $40 - and it's waterproof, programmable (with NO need for a computer), small footprint, has a strong built-in switching-mode BEC, comes with a future-proof XT60 connector, and seems to have decent factory warranty support through a US website.

Nice piece of kit, as the Brits say...

As some have noted, now's a good time for fairly-priced electronics. 8)

And... (edit) the OP also went with another winner in the 2017 best-product-for-your-money list, the FlySky GT3C transmitter/receiver set. For less than $50 including the transmitter's LiPo battery, what a bargain.

Last edited:

Vaterra RTR ESC is fine on 3S, I've got a couple. For me stock 14/87 gears on 3S have been good, but a little 550 21T motor will make it even better. "thumbsup"

I'd keep running the ESC on 3s as I haven't seen any negatives to doing so and it's just the $5 RX you're risking, but if/when you do upgrade, for $40 the Hobbywing wp-1080 is the popular choice ATM:

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/hwi30112750.htm

Got a couple of them too, even smoother than stock esc. "thumbsup"

It's funny - 2017 is the year HobbyWing definitely went FTW in the rock crawler community.

If you search these forums, they've been around for a long time - but that product is, simply put, a giant killer...

Seriously, if you look around you can sometimes find it for $40 - and it's waterproof, programmable (with NO need for a computer), small footprint, has a strong built-in switching-mode BEC, comes with a future-proof XT60 connector, and seems to have decent factory warranty support through a US website.

Nice piece of kit, as the Brits say...

As some have noted, now's a good time for fairly-priced electronics. 8)

"thumbsup"

I'll have to try 3 s on the RTR then - I figured it was rated for 7.4V and would fry it on 12v. I see the built in bec is just 5V - wow!

Those 3800mah 3s LIHV shorties aren't cheap.

Back