• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

JimrC's Early Bronco

Local retailers don’t seem to want to stock anything anymore. I’d suggest a motorcycle shop to find Noleen products. Bike shops would be another option for other seal greases.

Thank you for the photo of the SRAM Butter. Looks similar to petroleum jelly.

There are tons of seal greases out there for bicycles, motorcycles, etc. I’m sure most would work fine for RC.

Yer welcome J and this was recommended by a friend that owns one of the local bike shops "thumbsup" ... they also rc (bashers) "thumbsup"

Yer welcome J and this was recommended by a friend that owns one of the local bike shops "thumbsup" ... they also rc (bashers) "thumbsup"

Good recommendation then. I am sure our little RCs don't test this seal lube as much as bicycles.

Hey Jim, I bought my Noleen directly from the Noleen website if you ever want to check it out.

Noleen SF3.jpg

Good recommendation then. I am sure our little RCs don't test this seal lube as much as bicycles.

lol I'm under no illusion that the shocks will remain leak free for too long lol but yes, it was more than good for me to hear that from him

Quick update on the stock 100mm shocks ... still using them 8) but I've now swapped the stock 70mm springs out for some 60mm from Injora. Currently testing the "1mm white - 2.25lb/in.?" springs which has transformed the ride to be honest (preload - F @ 2mm / R @ 2.5mm). Really surprised at how much these shorter springs are helping.
Also got some 9mm hex hubs on order to try out.

ps: some pictures next time out ... hopefully :oops: :ror:

Last edited:
Ran another battery through the rig and must say what a difference using these "white" Injora springs with the stock shocks and pretty much stock weight at the moment. I think the shorter 60mm springs make all the difference, with a better spring rate choice "thumbsup"

Along with the 8mm internal limiter, it drives like a different truck with just this done so far.

As it sits right now ...

Axial-SCX10III-Bronco---Injora-60x15-Shock-Springs---White.jpg

... really need to get a figure or two and some scale accessories to add a bit more sprung weight.

Anyway, back to the springs. As Injora didn't mention spring rates for their springs ... I used a calculator and these below should be close enough "thumbsup"

Black (0.9mm) - 0.253 N/mm or 1.34 lb/in

White (1.0mm) - 0.394 N/mm or 2.25 lb/in

Yellow (1.1mm) - 0.530 N/mm or 3.03 lb/in

Blue (1.1mm) - 0.589 N/mm or 3.37 lb/in

Red (1.2mm) - 0.853 N/mm or 4.88 lb/in

note - stock Axial 70 mm springs (Yellow) - 2.0 lb/in

Last edited:
I thought I'd give a quick update to the few days worth of testing ... wife says I've just been playing :)

At the start of the week, I suffered my first bit of minor body damage and yes ... all my fault :mrgreen: Anyway, that needs to be fixed shortly :roll:

Axial-SCX10III-Bronco---First-Body-Damage.jpg

Thinking of some window screen repair tape and then using liquid electrical tape? I'm sure this will bond with the Lexan?

Updates on the rig ... added a set of 9 mm hex hubs, didn't want to go any wider until I tried these out. Nice and subtle and does add a bit extra stability (or so i'm telling myself).

Axial-SCX10III-Bronco---9mm-Hex-Hub-Extension.jpg

No tire rub and still decent flex. Sadly, you can't use the spinning lockers so looks like I need to find a set of rims now ... poor me :lmao:

Axial-SCX10III-Bronco---9mm-Hex-Hub-Extension-7.jpg

The last thing I've done this week is move the bottom shock mounts outboard by 3 mm on the axle. With the minor changes made this last week it drives like a different rig now "thumbsup"

Axial-SCX10III-Bronco---Rear-Shock-Geometry---3mm-Outboard-on-Axle.jpg

Last edited:
I've got that same body damage on my Bronco in both front corners almost exactly like yours. I think it could be prevented with a stiffer bumper, so I am going steel tube bumpers front and rear.

I already made my rear bumper last week and waiting on a ScalerFab pre-runner style bumper for the front. Will likely make my own front at some point too. Just too cold to paint them right now.

I have used E6000 and a small piece of lexan on a different body crack and it is still holding, but it was in a more open easy to access flat area.

The window netting is a good idea in that corner though.

Late to the party about the grease but all the seal greases are pretty much just Slickoleum (Slickoleum.com). Came about in the bicycle world in the mid-90's but was probably co-opted from some other industry.

Also really big in the paintball gun world.

I've got that same body damage on my Bronco in both front corners almost exactly like yours. I think it could be prevented with a stiffer bumper, so I am going steel tube bumpers front and rear.

I already made my rear bumper last week and waiting on a ScalerFab pre-runner style bumper for the front. Will likely make my own front at some point too. Just too cold to paint them right now.

I impaled a branch head-on like a dafty :ror: so counted myself lucky that's all it was. Metal bumpers are on my to-do list, just not sure what ones yet :roll:

There's not even a lot of choices for the Bronco, shouldn't be this hard to decide :lmao:

I'm going to be the little red devil on your shoulder and encourage you to go down the rabbit hole.:twisted:

If they don't make what you want, then make 'em yourself!

Stainless steel 3/16" brake line, a cheapo small tubing bender, hacksaw, 3/16" diameter file, Propane/MAPP gas torch, some silver brazing rod and flux and away you go.

Built, not bought. right?:)

You figured out a way easier way to make a bikini top for your bronco than I did so it seems you have the inclination.

Oh yeah, time. That's probably the most important thing you need and of which many do not have enough.

When I figure out posting pics, I will post up some of my trucks and stuff.

Look forward to seeing yer Bronco, don't seem to be too many around lol

Hey Jim, back in the day when I raced indoor 1/10 touring cars on carpet we used to reinforce the inside of our lexan bodies with mesh drywall tape and shoe goo. This held up pretty good to impacts with the hard track barriers and made our bodies last a lot longer than they would have otherwise.

Hey Jim, back in the day when I raced indoor 1/10 touring cars on carpet we used to reinforce the inside of our lexan bodies with mesh drywall tape and shoe goo. This held up pretty good to impacts with the hard track barriers and made our bodies last a lot longer than they would have otherwise.
Not sure if it was the cold temps that were to blame for the spits or just a weak point in those areas. Will need to make a repair sometime soon. Thanks for the info "thumbsup"

I was doing this still, all the way up to last year on my Short Course bodies. Makes a world of difference for minimal weight gain.

Makes a world of difference for minimal weight gain.

I was wondering how much weight was gained from doing this to the average body. Good to know it's minimum, thanks "thumbsup"

Last edited:
Well, it's only taken a few months to grab a few outdoor pics but I finally did it :lmao:

One section of a local trail with a twisted tree that grabbed my attention. I wasn't sure if I'd manage over the first log to be honest but the Bronco made light work of it.

Axial-SCX10-III-Early-Bronco---16-3-24-----1.jpg

The first tree root to climb over took a couple of attempts to gain traction but the tires did their job.

Axial-SCX10-III-Early-Bronco---16-3-24-----2.jpg

Made it to the top, time to see what's on the other side.

Axial-SCX10-III-Early-Bronco---16-3-24-----3.jpg
Axial-SCX10-III-Early-Bronco---16-3-24-----4.jpg

This obstacle required the use of dig to plant the rear end and worked a charm.

Axial-SCX10-III-Early-Bronco---16-3-24-----5.jpg

One last pose before hitting the rest of the trail system.

Axial-SCX10-III-Early-Bronco---16-3-24-----6.jpg
Axial-SCX10-III-Early-Bronco---16-3-24-----8.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, clean white paint job. I noticed you colored the Ford logo on the grill too, it looks great.

Those Falken Wildpeaks are great tires. If I hadn't wanted a shorter tire height I would have kept mine on. They're on a different crawler now, as I'm reluctant to sell them.

Nice Jim!! Looks like a great time out on the trails for sure. Great pics and the Bronco is lookin' good too!! "thumbsup"

Nice, clean white paint job. I noticed you colored the Ford logo on the grill too, it looks great.

Those Falken Wildpeaks are great tires. If I hadn't wanted a shorter tire height I would have kept mine on. They're on a different crawler now, as I'm reluctant to sell them.

I had thought of the smaller tires at the start but on reflection, the Falkens perform good enough so I'll spend the pennies on something else lol

Thanks, planning to cut the vents into the grill sometime soon "thumbsup"

Back