• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

JimrC's Early Bronco

JimrC

Pebble Pounder
Subscribed Member
I rarely post being a complete newbie to rc hobby :oops:

Anyways, it was the SCX10iii early Bronco that first caught my eye but I then opted for the scx24 Bronco just to see if this hobby was for me and keep costs down :lmao:

I was about to get another scx24 + upgrades but just happened to find the scx10iii early Bronco for sale back in mid November. So this is my first and only 1/10 rig "thumbsup":flipoff::lmao:"thumbsup"

Axial-SCX10III-Bronco---out-the-box.jpg

I haven't done much at all with it, other than first making a leather roof panel for it. Pigskin was used (1mm) and wet formed. Little bit of dye and saddle soap then attached in place.

Axial-SCX10III-Bronco---Leather-Roof-Panel-1.jpg
Axial-SCX10III-Bronco---Leather-Roof-Panel-3.jpg
Axial-SCX10III-Bronco---Leather-Roof-Panel-5.jpg

Next on the list was the stock esc and radio which was swapped out for the 1080 G2 and Flysky GT5 ... like a true newb ... I burnt the dig servo out purely because I didn't know the radio settings :lmao: Anyways, that was quickly replaced with a new one and now set just right for the GT5. No complaints so far with the esc/radio combo "thumbsup"

Axial-SCX10III-Bronco---Hobbywing-1080-ESC.jpg
Axial-SCX10III-Bronco---Spektrum-SX108-Micro-Servo-1.jpg

This is how it sits for now, not sure what will be done next :shock:

Axial-SCX10III-Bronco---Flysky-GT5.jpg

Don't ever feel like you're too new to post! That's what forums are about and this one can use all the activity it can get.

You have a nice ride with tasteful mods. No need to be embarrassed about that!

Don't ever feel like you're too new to post! That's what forums are about and this one can use all the activity it can get.

You have a nice ride with tasteful mods. No need to be embarrassed about that!

Much thanks "thumbsup" One of the only places I'll post on is here lol and I don't use social media, also find this place better for finding helpful info "thumbsup"

Shocks will be rebuilt tomorrow (hopefully) and determined to keep the stock 100mm shocks on this for now and make adjustments as the build progresses.

Beauty Bronco there Jim!! I can see you havin' lots of fun with it for sure!! "thumbsup"

That leather roof you made looks great and suits the rig quite nicely. :)

Nice rig! I did something similar to my top but I like yours better! I dropped the ride height down on mine with 90mm Trx4 shocks, truck looks more scale and less top heavy as well.

Nice idea on the pigskin bikini top. I'll have to keep that idea in mind for future projects.

Rig looks great Jim! Following along to see more!:)

Thanks folks, very much appreciated. Pennies are short at the mo ... thanks to dental fees :shock: so this project will on the slower side for now lol

I do know it will having a set of bumpers for sure from Scalerfab ... even though I find the cost outrageous in CAD :lmao:

Oh, does anyone know of a good source for scaled diamond plate?

Much thanks "thumbsup" One of the only places I'll post on is here lol and I don't use social media, also find this place better for finding helpful info "thumbsup"

Shocks will be rebuilt tomorrow (hopefully) and determined to keep the stock 100mm shocks on this for now and make adjustments as the build progresses.

You're welcome! "thumbsup" Looking forward to your updates.

Thanks folks, very much appreciated. Pennies are short at the mo ... thanks to dental fees :shock: so this project will on the slower side for now lol

I do know it will having a set of bumpers for sure from Scalerfab ... even though I find the cost outrageous in CAD :lmao:

Oh, does anyone know of a good source for scaled diamond plate?

https://www.amainhobbies.com/search?s=diamond+plate

Most is Aluminum, which requires it to be backed by Lexan if you want it to have any strength. For using as trim, this should be fine. I can't remember if I have the Yeah Racing or the Hot Racing stuff.

I rebuilt the shocks with an internal 8mm limiter all-round and filled with some 50w oil for now. Vast improvement over the stock set-up and good enough for me at the mo "thumbsup"

Couldn't get the green slime here you guys mention to use on the o-rings so I used some SRAM Butter which I think (and hope) will work just the same ... much cheaper than the green slime too :mrgreen: The limiters used are intended for anti-vibration that fitted perfectly on the shock shaft "thumbsup"

Axial-SCX10III-Bronco---8mm-Internal-Shock-Limiters-Fitted.jpg

Flex is still good I think, plenty for me anyways.

Axial-SCX10III-Bronco---8mm-Internal-Shock-Limiter---Front-Flex.jpg
Axial-SCX10III-Bronco---8mm-Internal-Shock-Limiter---Rear-Flex.jpg

I'll wait I think until I have extra sprung weight added and try to dial in the stance some more but it's getting close to where I want it to sit.

Axial-SCX10III-Bronco---8mm-Internal-Shock-Limiter---Stance.jpg

Will be out this weekend testing it out, hopefully get some pictures or video ... something I'm real bad at ... is remembering to pull out the phone while playing ... always too busy having fun to think of pics :lmao:

The stance looks good. Like many others thought also ours sat a little high too.

Last edited:
Most is Aluminum, which requires it to be backed by Lexan if you want it to have any strength. For using as trim, this should be fine. I can't remember if I have the Yeah Racing or the Hot Racing stuff.

Nice find on the diamond plate."thumbsup" I've often looked at my LHS without any luck. Didn't even think about looking at Amain!:roll:

I rebuilt the shocks with an internal 8mm limiter all-round and filled with some 50w oil for now. Vast improvement over the stock set-up and good enough for me at the mo "thumbsup"

Couldn't get the green slime here you guys mention to use on the o-rings so I used some SRAM Butter which I think (and hope) will work just the same ... much cheaper than the green slime too :mrgreen: The limiters used are intended for anti-vibration that fitted perfectly on the shock shaft "thumbsup"

Will be out this weekend testing it out, hopefully get some pictures or video ... something I'm real bad at ... is remembering to pull out the phone while playing ... always too busy having fun to think of pics :lmao:

Good call on the shock limiters. I've used nitro fuel line as limiters in my shocks and it works great to shorten shocks. Stance is much better lowered.

Don't feel bad about the pics and vids. I too forget to get my phone out sometimes when I'm out wheeling my rigs.

I used to use the AE Green Slime on all of my shocks. Then I switched to Noleen SF-3 a couple years ago. It was recommended by @soze which is a member here on RCC. The Noleen looks exactly like the Green Slime, but is much cheaper and works perfectly in our tiny sized shocks. This little jar will be a lifetime supply for shock building!:ror:

IMG_3906.jpg

I used to use the AE Green Slime on all of my shocks. Then I switched to Noleen SF-3 a couple years ago. It was recommended by @soze which is a member here on RCC. The Noleen looks exactly like the Green Slime, but is much cheaper and works perfectly in our tiny sized shocks. This little jar will be a lifetime supply for shock building!:ror:

View attachment 403681

:lmao: yeah the SRAM butter I got is only an ounce and way more than I'll ever need in my lifetime. Works really good and confident it'll do the same job "thumbsup"

Cheers for the heads-up about the Noleen SF-3 , much appreciated BMOW "thumbsup"

:lmao: yeah the SRAM butter I got is only an ounce and way more than I'll ever need in my lifetime. Works really good and confident it'll do the same job "thumbsup"

Cheers for the heads-up about the Noleen SF-3 , much appreciated BMOW "thumbsup"

No problem. I’m sure the SRAM butter is just as good if not better. It says it’s for shock seals, so you should be good.

Nothing like having a lifetime supply of anything![emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What color is that SRAM Butter?

Associated's Green Slime is really just Noleen SF3: https://www.noleenj6.com/noleen-greases

Tried to find the Noleen SF3 locally with no joy.

As for the SRAM, the Bronco had three batteries ran through it over the weekend ... shocks are still leak free so I'm not complaining "thumbsup"

Here's a pic Jato, no idea about the Noleen stuff but I would recommend this butter grease for sure "thumbsup" super slick stuff "thumbsup"

Axial-SCX10III-Bronco---SRAM-Butter---Colour.jpg

Tried to find the Noleen SF3 locally with no joy.

As for the SRAM, the Bronco had three batteries ran through it over the weekend ... shocks are still leak free so I'm not complaining "thumbsup"

Here's a pic Jato, no idea about the Noleen stuff but I would recommend this butter grease for sure "thumbsup" super slick stuff "thumbsup"

Local retailers don’t seem to want to stock anything anymore. I’d suggest a motorcycle shop to find Noleen products. Bike shops would be another option for other seal greases.

Thank you for the photo of the SRAM Butter. Looks similar to petroleum jelly.

There are tons of seal greases out there for bicycles, motorcycles, etc. I’m sure most would work fine for RC.

Back