• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Humboldt County Crawlers

Wow! Looks like a lot of amazing crawling spots. It’s like that here on the island, but I haven’t even gotten a chance to take it out places other than next door dirt field since we’ve been here! 3 months of the same driving sucks![emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hopefully you can get out soon.

I have a spot to crawl in my backyard and to keep things interesting I re-stack the rocks. Maybe you can do something to freshen up your dirt crawl spot.

Hopefully you can get out soon.

I have a spot to crawl in my backyard and to keep things interesting I re-stack the rocks. Maybe you can do something to freshen up your dirt crawl spot.

Yeah, I found a new spot the other day about a 1/2 mile down the road in the neighborhood park I really enjoy. The thing about Hawaii is, you are either going up or down[emoji1787][emoji1787]. But seriously, there is A LOT of rock hills and loose dirt everywhere. It’s very challenging, but fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I concur with the smoke. I have been out working in it for 3 days and I won't go out if the air quality sucks. But if it clears out I am totally game. On the plus side if it is still all smokey is I have a spot I think has potential and it would give me the time to go do a little recon. I will have next Saturday and Sunday off so maybe we could plan something with all of us...

Last edited:
Greetings all.

Been a busy couple of weeks. I had to make a trip to Tahoe on business but brought the TRX-4 with me. I managed to get some trail time in up on Donner summit. The summit is made up of glacial granite. It was a really fun session mobbing around the massive rock formations. I really need to figure out a way to get video when I am by myself. It also highlighted a couple more of the trucks shortcomings. I know, at it's best, it will always be a medium duty crawler. It also still has room for improvement.

Steering servo needs to be upgraded (but I kinda already knew that...). The biggest turd in the punch bowl was the seriously weak tire foam. The sidewall were near collapse under just eh weight of the truck. 10deg side hilling the sidewalls would just failed and folded up like a cheap lawn chair.
On my way home, I ran across a hobby shop in Redding and grabbed a set of Pro-Line dual stage foams and hope that will support all that weight a little better.

I am taking the next 3 days off and just chill. I am really hoping that some of us can get together this weekend and get some wheel time in. I am down with going anywhere. In fact, would really enjoy something different. I am going to go out tomorrow and look around at a couple of places that might bear fruit.

Attachments

• IMG-4325.jpg
    IMG-4325.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
This weekend is looking a bit better smoke wise. I'm open to heading out Saturday or Sunday, Shawn mentioned he's interested too.

oh and you passed the test "thumbsup"

Passed the test?

i saw your post that said Test, probably before you edited it.

Donner looks pretty awesome!

Oh and regarding foams I'm a big fan of Crawler innovations foams, they have various kinds and sizes and when compared to Proline's 1 offering well they just have better options. The proline foams are probably a okay fit for the Hyrax though since those are 4.75"
https://crawlerinnovations.com/
Amian, RPP and a number of other distributors carry these

Last edited:
Oh that.... lol. I am still hesitant to spend 30 minutes typing out a post only to have something go wrong. I post a "test" and if it populates immediately, then I edit in the content...

So I'm open to Saturday or Sunday. David said Sunday works best for him.

What about everyone else?

EDIT: I'm thinking Sequoia park might be the most convenient place just in case the smoke gets bad or something. But I'm open to other suggestions. I think if we head up to Trinidad we'd want to plan on getting there kind of early because its been packed and parking is backed up a 1/2 mile down the road (where we crawl isn't packed though).

Last edited:
Its looking like Sunday At Sequoia Park, David, Shawn and I are all on board. 1:00 is the typical time we meet up near the playground.

Count me in for sure. I talked to Nick and he is having a moment. His mom is in the hospital and chaos at home with the yard stuff. I will see if his brother is available...

Donner looks pretty awesome!

Oh and regarding foams I'm a big fan of Crawler innovations foams, they have various kinds and sizes and when compared to Proline's 1 offering well they just have better options. The proline foams are probably a okay fit for the Hyrax though since those are 4.75"
https://crawlerinnovations.com/
Amian, RPP and a number of other distributors carry these

I will see how the Pro-Lines work and look into the other options. I had to hire a gorilla to help be get them mounted! I checked a couple of possible sites today and came up empty handed. I ended up at the park. The stiffer foam appears to be working much better but it was hard to tell on the first run with them.

Everything was wet and it made finding traction on some of the roots challenging. Over all, I think they are an improvement from the marshmallows I had in there before. I think I need to soften the springs a bit since I don't need to compensate for mushy side walls...

Ok so it appears the south side of the park is way cooler than the far north hill we met on. Today was outstanding! I know the truck has limits but the more I drive it, the better I can run it. (The new foams are doing better than I had expected.) You all have some very cool and capable rigs. I enjoyed all of it. I am looking forward to the next run. I will work on Nick and his brother. 6 of us would very cool!

I wish I got more pics... I won't make that mistake again...

Last edited:
Trying to hit up College CovE this weekend,not feeling the mosquitos at Sequoia this time hopefully the wind cooperates,I might be bringing a new guy with me too,hopefully see you all there.

Ok so it appears the south side of the park is way cooler than the far north hill we met on. Today was outstanding! I know the truck has limits but the more I drive it, the better I can run it. (The new foams are doing better than I had expected.) You all have some very cool and capable rigs. I enjoyed all of it. I am looking forward to the next run. I will work on Nick and his brother. 6 of us would very cool!

I wish I got more pics... I won't make that mistake again...

Yeah that was a fun run! I almost always have my GoPro so I can film but its so easy to just drive and ignore the filming

8sAQY5T.jpg

Trying to hit up College CovE this weekend,not feeling the mosquitos at Sequoia this time hopefully the wind cooperates,I might be bringing a new guy with me too,hopefully see you all there.

I'm up for that. I think the ideal time to show up would be 11:00 or earlier because parking is a bit crazy and I dont want to be parking a 1/2 mile down the road. If we do show up this early bringing a lunch or eating early would be ideal because we're not gonna want to leave once we're there.

Back