• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

How-To:Cutting with thread

Has anyone tried piano wire or guitar string to do this?
That is how I use to cut windshields out of cars when I was a kid working at the Junkyard.

Theres a kiosk in the Mall where these ladies from Indonesia shape eyebrows with thread.
And yes, I tried it. Hurt like a bugger, but my wife was pleased with the results.
If Mama aint happy, aint nobody happy.

Great how to! I have cut PVC/ABS/CPVC?PEX pipe with thread. I'd also imagine waxed floss would work better? Has a lubricant on it? And I usually us a thread for upholstry. I did moderately well with the exacto by keeeping the blade hot over a candle. And make may passes and it practically falls out.

Guitar string is a good idea, but...

I am a guitar player, so that suggestion caught my interest, but I would be concerned that the wound strings (like the top E string, not the smooth bottom E string) would have a tendancy to cause Lexan to crack unless you had some kind of backing (wood board to clamp it down on) to both the part you are saving and the part you are discarding. I believe it would simply be to coarse of a string to cut it, like trying to use a chain saw to cut a dowel rod... However I think it might be ideal for thick stuff like the PVC mentioned earlier in this thread (ha! thread... :lmao:).

Sweet tutorial, by the way. I would love to see a video example of an actual wheel well being done. I imagine it would be significantly more difficult that a straight line, but well worth the effort if it results in a smooth, perfectly curved cut.

Nice tip

I would think for doing curves and the like, that scoring it first maybe the way to go. Add many of the tips together...draw, hot exacto (to score), thread to cut.
Then again I may have know idea what I'm talking about...lol
Love the thread...hehe

thread about thread

Great tip! I will be testing this out on the weekend to see how long it takes to make a cut so I can cut the doors of the jeep

sweet

never seen that be four have too try that on next body i do, thanks four the tip. "thumbsup"

glad i looked at this

this is probably the most useful thread I have read yet, thank you.

Back