• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Hobby got out of hand quickly - SCX24

ChilliBreath

Rock Stacker
First post here 8) Mid 30's guy from the Netherlands.

I used to drive 10th scale buggies in my late teens and early twenties, but these got mothballed since I mostly ride alone, and these really quick rigs are usually one curbside accident away from expensive repairs. Additionally, to me they would only remain interesting as long as I kept upgrading them - but this scale is relatively expensive and parts are (or were) hard to come by here.

Fast forward a decade, and enter the microcrawler. My first micro crawler was a Carisma MSA-1E Subaru Brat, which I still have and regularly drive. But I got my son an SCX24 (yellow Jeep Rubicon) a few weeks ago, and quickly pulled the trigger on one for Daddy as well :ror::ror: (grey C-10). These are really neat little things! Compared to the Carisma I really like how easily these modulate their speed, and the grippier tires in general. The Carisma seems to have better suspension and articulation, but is a bit jumpy on the throttle. Also, the SCX24 has a million different performance and cosmetic upgrades to choose from, and very cheaply to boot if you're willing to take a bit of risk and wait a bit longer...

So, my son and I can now regularly go to any nearby forest and find a hilly section, or a narrow trail, and go on a scale adventure together!

But... in rainy north-western Europe you really don't wanna be outside all the time. So, I made a 1x2m wooden structure on wheels (so it can be stored away easily), got some old cardboard boxes, some expanding foam and some plaster cloth and made a little crawler park as well:

(the lower left area will be a sand pit)

This is still an unfinished project. I plan to make it a rocky grey / brown landscape, and add some texture to it as well to improve traction (it's actually more difficult to navigate than I imagined :roll:). This will be my project over the Christmas break.

To be continued as I upgrade the SCX24's as well as the indoor course. 8) Both vehicles have brass wheel weights already, and the jeep has brass diff covers.

I've got some things planned to do over the coming months. These include getting better servo's (the stock servos are really, really weak!), getting better suspension (oil shocks with preload control), and probably doing some visual tweaks as well such as a roof rack for the jeep, or nicer lights, etc... but this is all longer term stuff.

I am really excited about this hobby, and my wife encouraged me to find a channel to vent this energy rather than boring her with it :lmao: She actually encouraged me to start an instagram channel, but I don't want to do social media anymore... but this place seems like an appropriate channel to find like-minded individuals :) So I decided to sign up.

Last edited:
Yeah, great story, mine is similar lol.. all kinds of 1/10 scale trophies as a 'child'.. then 30 years later here i am
32d7bac37896af37aa3760837c5bc210.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

I never was into rc. Had friends that were when we were young but it was mostly nitro…now I’m in my thirties with kids. I buy a couple Amazon electric deals for last Christmas and a Carisma brat for myself…quickly hooked. and then the scx24s came into my worldview. Quickly I went mad. I’m currently the proud owner of more scx24s than I will say..and a couple other micro rcs. I can’t get enough of the technical mods, the artistic potential, and the time spent doing something I want to learn more about not just sitting idle in life. My kids are enjoying it alongside me and the wife tolerates it. A win win win! Stoked to know I’m not insane!

Thanks all! I certainly will 8) Getting spray paint in the mail today, and I've already experimented a bit with getting texture on the surfaces.

So, I tried a few different ways to give texture to the plaster cloth using materials I had on hand. Mixtures of sand and glue, or just smearing glue and sprinkling sand... And eventually went with mixing latex paint and sand to get a gritty paste, and painted that over the entire crawler course. It gave me a pretty solid result, very gritty looking (and offering loads of traction so you can take all kinds of sketchy lines :) !):

So, very pleased with the result.

I will probably spray paint the course next Thursday. Got some paint in the mail today; mid gray ('basalt'), light gray ('meteorite') and sand colour. Will update again when finished.

I used the textured Rustoleum spray paint on my expanding foam course. It worked very well. Adds good color for a MOAB look. It also added a fairly good amount of traction.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

If you want to talk getting out of hand……I’ve never been into rc until last Christmas when I ordered some bezgar bashers of amazon for me and the kids…soon after I bought myself a carisma brat…I was hooked on micro crawling. I now own multiple scx24s and two carismas and and couple other micro rcs…I’ve got a rock wall built outside…a course in my basement..another built across the street…at the park….another in the woods…one at work…seriously the scale and modification possibilities make this hobby so versatile while relatively cheap and endlessly enjoyable. I’m glad to find I’m not alone…

you are in an accepting place with like-minded people [emoji23]

If you want to talk getting out of hand……I’ve never been into rc until last Christmas when I ordered some bezgar bashers of amazon for me and the kids…soon after I bought myself a carisma brat…I was hooked on micro crawling. I now own multiple scx24s and two carismas and and couple other micro rcs…I’ve got a rock wall built outside…a course in my basement..another built across the street…at the park….another in the woods…one at work…seriously the scale and modification possibilities make this hobby so versatile while relatively cheap and endlessly enjoyable. I’m glad to find I’m not alone…

Haha, so relatable. Although if I get more microcrawlers my wife might pack up her stuff and go :razz: But to an extent I like tinkering, and I think this will also teach my son some valuable lessons (for starters, going easy on certain toys rather than tossing them - but also some rudimentary vehicle control skills that will eventually translate to real driving).

Well allright then, but only one ;-)

I've almost got the whole thing covered in a basalt grey base, with a few areas sand coloured. Not sure where I am going with that - I am still winging it. But the idea is to add some mid gray highlights tomorrow, and I will place a light dusting of sand colour on the most obvious drive lines.

The area front right in this picture will be a sand pit, and I will probably add loose sand in more places still.

Also my wife had some small, dark grey gravel / pebbles (~5-8mm grain size) she had originally intended to go in a fairy garden, but she never got around to actually making a fairy garden so I may now use those.

So, still a work in progress. Stay tuned :)

When can i come over and run it! HAHA Looks awesome!

Thanks all!

When can i come over and run it! HAHA Looks awesome!
Well, PM me if you're in the Netherlands ;-)

So, I got detailing today. Took some improvisation, but I am very, very pleased with the result! 8)

Further detailing will be little rocks, sand, maybe some trees.

Back