• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

High-ish speeds: brushed or brushless?

I feel battery weight is just as important as its voltage or c-rating. Heavy packs make for more rollovers. I've found that 2200 40c Gens Ace are plenty of pack for anything less than a full out WOT all the time basher. You can turn up the punch control thru castle link to lower maximum amperage draw and keep from overstressing the smaller-than-castles-reccomended batteries.

The 2200's are small and light enough to carry spares in your pocket, are fairly cheap, and fit most crawlers.

I would not consider anything less than 1500mah when paired with a healthy brushless.

I'm not really worried about weight since it's going to be a heavy hardbody scaler.

Good to know I can do that, because I would like to be able to run my 25C 2S's
I would opt for #2, I really like the idea of a two + hour run time. On amazon you can find some good deals.

Yeah, that's where I'm at too. Amazon has good deals, but I have to go to eBay since Amazon won't ship them. eBay has good deals too.

I'll second the small batteries. Makes a big difference in handling. I run 1600mah 4s hv drone batteries in my rigs now. Love the light weight of it. One of the more noticeable improvements.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I'll second the small batteries. Makes a big difference in handling. I run 1600mah 4s hv drone batteries in my rigs now. Love the light weight of it. One of the more noticeable improvements.

What kind of run time are you looking at? I don’t want to sacrifice run time just to get it a little lighter.

79 F150 SCX10 ii
TRXWalker

I’m still going back n forth on the whole 2S vs 3S thing lol. I’ve seen multiple people say the 3800kv is very fast, almost uncontrollable on 3S, and when they run 2S it calms it down. I’m not sure if this is true for my situation though because the Trail King has more reduction than the TRX4, so maybe that will slow it down enough? Idk lol, I can’t decide[emoji1787][emoji1787]

I can grab 6 Goldbat 2S for the same price as 4 eBay special 3S. And free shipping[emoji16]
cfec86c199ecda83b6f3429638df88ae.jpg

79 F150 SCX10 ii
TRXWalker

I own 3 mamba x's they're solid esc's but for what you're doing I wouldn't spend the extra scratch on one.

I'd get a trackstar 150a and a brushless motor in the 2500-3500 kv range. You can gear it down if it's too quick and motors in that range will run 3 or 4s no problem of you move up later.

I have a 150a, actually I've had it for like 6 years and it's been rock solid the whole time. For the cash you just can't beat it, it's basically a rip off of an rx8 but it's smoother. I've ran them side by side and I'll take that 150a every time.

You're looking at batteries a bit off too. No way I'd use anything bigger than a 3000 mah, the majority of my packs for trail and general fun duty are 2200 3 or 4s. Huge packs are a huge waste. You rarely run them down and they're big and heavy so the performance suffers.

Buy a pile of these and enjoy the benefit of 3s without a giant heavy pack.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/rhino-2200mah-3s-25c-lipo-battery-pack-w-xt60.html

Last edited:
I own 3 mamba x's they're solid esc's but for what you're doing I wouldn't spend the extra scratch on one.

I'd get a trackstar 150a and a brushless motor in the 2500-3500 kv range. You can gear it down if it's too quick and motors in that range will run 3 or 4s no problem of you move up later.

I have a 150a, actually I've had it for like 6 years and it's been rock solid the whole time. For the cash you just can't beat it, it's basically a rip off of an rx8 but it's smoother. I've ran them side by side and I'll take that 150a every time.

You're looking at batteries a bit off too. No way I'd use anything bigger than a 3000 mah, the majority of my packs for trail and general fun duty are 2200 3 or 4s. Huge packs are a huge waste. You rarely run them down and they're big and heavy so the performance suffers.

Buy a pile of these and enjoy the benefit of 3s without a giant heavy pack.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/rhino-2200mah-3s-25c-lipo-battery-pack-w-xt60.html

Thank you for your input, it is greatly appreciated. I’ll take a look at that motor and ESC [emoji1303]

Why do you say the Mamba X isn’t right for what I’m doing?

What kind of run time do you think I’m looking at with one of those batteries? I don’t care for performance over runtime. The main reason I’m against smaller batteries is because I’m going to be running a hardbody and taking it off/on is going to be a pain.

79 F150 SCX10 ii
TRXWalker

Thank you for your input, it is greatly appreciated. I’ll take a look at that motor and ESC

Why do you say the Mamba X isn’t right for what I’m doing?

What kind of run time do you think I’m looking at with one of those batteries? I don’t care for performance over runtime. The main reason I’m against smaller batteries is because I’m going to be running a hardbody and taking it off/on is going to be a pain.

Mamba x is a fine esc, it's just double the money of the trackstar and it's not nearly double the esc.

You haven't built the rig yet, don't make the body hard to remove. #duh Keep in mind that the hard body is going to get trail raped when it rolls over due to that heavy pack and then it'll have that weight on it while doing so.

I get a good 30-40 minutes out of them, I trail all my gaylers and the only rig that runs anything over a 2200 is a trx4 trail basher because I do t care about that rig. :ror:

Mamba x is a fine esc, it's just double the money of the trackstar and it's not nearly double the esc.

You haven't built the rig yet, don't make the body hard to remove. #duh Keep in mind that the hard body is going to get trail raped when it rolls over due to that heavy pack and then it'll have that weight on it while doing so.

I get a good 30-40 minutes out of them, I trail all my gaylers and the only rig that runs anything over a 2200 is a trx4 trail basher because I do t care about that rig. :ror:

Ah yeah it’s definitely double the price.

I feel I’d rather get longer than 30 mins out of one battery, but I’ve got plenty of time to decide since the TK still isn’t in stock yet.

I don’t plan on bashing this truck hard at all. Definitely not the same driving style of my 10ii. Not trying to scale vertical walls, no crazy crawling. Just trailing, very light crawling and trailer pulling. Scale driving if you will.

Thank you again man, now you’ve got me doing more research lol.

79 F150 SCX10 ii
TRXWalker

What kind of run time are you looking at? I don’t want to sacrifice run time just to get it a little lighter.

79 F150 SCX10 ii
TRXWalker
Jeez sorry for the late reply.
So I get about 45 to 60 min out of it doing mostly slow crawling, but in the winter I gear it up 3 teeth on the pinion and bash it hard in the snow and can drain it in under 20 minutes.
What did you buy?

Most of the people I know that run hard bodies mount them with grub screws, so you just flex the body to get them over the stub and the pop right off.

When I recommended higher voltage I meant for that to be accompanied with a smaller pinion, just increasing the voltage can make a faster motor hard to control for sure.

To clarify its not only that the 2s battery itself was the cause for burning up a motor, but in using a 2s battery to reduce the speed of the vehicle you keep a higher gear ratio.
The higher gear ratio is a big part of the problem as well. IMO stock gear ratios are much too high for doing any sort of slow crawling. The higher ratio is adding more resistance to the motor turning and that increases amp draw, which creates heat.

having a 4s system geared 100:1 vs a 2s system geared 50:1 with he same motor. The 4s system will be much cooler hand have more punch and torque and slow crawl better by far, but they will be the same top speed.

Most of the people I know that run hard bodies mount them with grub screws, so you just flex the body to get them over the stub and the pop right off.

When I recommended higher voltage I meant for that to be accompanied with a smaller pinion, just increasing the voltage can make a faster motor hard to control for sure.

To clarify its not only that the 2s battery itself was the cause for burning up a motor, but in using a 2s battery to reduce the speed of the vehicle you keep a higher gear ratio.
The higher gear ratio is a big part of the problem as well. IMO stock gear ratios are much too high for doing any sort of slow crawling. The higher ratio is adding more resistance to the motor turning and that increases amp draw, which creates heat.

having a 4s system geared 100:1 vs a 2s system geared 50:1 with he same motor. The 4s system will be much cooler hand have more punch and torque and slow crawl better by far, but they will be the same top speed.
And have much better drag brake too

Back