• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Hail the King of Trails from the Land of SSD

Love reading your thread. I'm waiting for my Trail King to arrive and will definitely be referring to your thread for guidance during the build. Thank you. And it just so happens I will be using a Jeep Cherokee body on it as well.

ATTENTION!

Lords, remove your hats!

Ladies, stand quietly behind your husbands!

All rise for his majesty!

The King of Trails!

qMzeNq0l.jpg

Yes peasants, the King has returned to the land of SVT's garage to undergo a minor procedure. The stresses of a King are many and sometimes you just have to get away for a reset. Q and Snake are getting right to work because much like doctors that have to perform surgery on Russian leaders, it is easy to come down with a sudden case of "being horribly murdered" if things don't go as planned with a VIP.

First we tend to the tires.

ojELuM7l.jpg

While the King has not had as many adventures as hoped, I noticed the tires were looking a little off. 3 of the 4 were pretty flat so I figured it had been left sitting on the tires a little too long. Turned out the foams were fine but only 1 of the 4 had been vented so when the cooler temps of the fall kicked in, they turned into perm-flats.

This situation will be blamed solely on the shoddy work of an inexperienced builder who will be punished swiftly and severely. Though as ruler of this domain, I am above the law and a peasant was drawn and quartered in my place. Penance was served and order restored.

I guess an organ transplant isn't really considered a "minor procedure" but we can pretend.

cesQoZvl.jpg

The Holmes SHV500 originally installed was stolen for my Capra. As the King is packing a Mamba X, it didn't need the direct battery powered servo nearly as much so a donation was graciously agreed upon. The new servo is a Xpert AS8601 that I picked up on Black Friday last year. It has all the standard good servo stuff: brushless motor, aluminum case, blah blah. The only real important part is 500 oz of torque at 8V should keep the bearings of the King true.

An important lesson that a wise king must learn is to be self aware and seek improvement. One must never get over the drive to be better.

HrtIlidl.jpg

Admit it, you missed this amazingly witty wordplay.

The SSD overdrive gears were something I planned on picking up as soon as I knew they were going to be a thing. Originally, the plan was to install these in my Capra but the mesh in the Capra housings was notchier than an unoiled torture rack.

The locker was installed and things were ready to be bolted in.

ACqKMXWl.jpg

A great deal of intellectual laziness is going on right now because these pics were originally taken for my Capra thread. Isn't it fun to peek behind the curtain and see how the sausage is made? Almost as fun as smashing together metaphors.

Installing the OD gears in the King's axles was a night and day difference from the Capra housings. They turn as smooth as the stock gears in this application which much more aligned with my expectations than the initial Capra based impressions.

While installing the gears and servo, there was an area of maintenance concern on the front end even after only a short time of driving. The screws holding the drag link and tie rod on the knuckles had loosened. The passenger side was especially bad after backing off enough the screw was only held on by the upper steering arm. As this seems to happen to many of my trucks, longer screws and locknuts were used to retain the knuckle screws and prevent future loosening.

h8d1bLYl.jpg

With that final bit, the King is better than new and ready to embark on adventures anew!

We have reached the point of the thread where I say I'm going to go drive said truck then like 3 months pass and that doesn't happen so we are skipping that part today. I respect your intellect as a reader so you won't be fed the typical BS we both know I don't follow through on anyway. Man, I am the worst.

May you all have a blessed season of corrupted Pagan traditions!

Thanks for the update, We thought maybe the Kingdom was overthrown and the King captured. Glad to hear that wasn't so!!! "thumbsup"
Ernie

Thanks for the update, We thought maybe the Kingdom was overthrown and the King captured. Glad to hear that wasn't so!!! "thumbsup"
Ernie

All is well and good on that front. "thumbsup"

I have this (possibly good, likely bad) habit of constantly switching projects that are being worked on. Having 6 trucks that are 20% done really doesn't make for compelling forum content in any single thread. At some point, there will be many interesting threads of functioning trucks though. :mrgreen:

Seasons greetings to all, my SSD compatriots!

I trust the holiday time has been bountiful as we prepare to celebrate the 9th night of Yule.

Splendid.

The King and I (great name for when I convert this thread into a novel) took advantage of the not so frigid 70* late December weather afforded to us and set off on a trek.

yt1slCxl.jpg

Yes fine sirs, the King has ventured! Any who wish to protest the use of the masculine pronoun in the proceeding sentence must provide visual evidence of women actually reading this thread. Also, you will be sentenced to death for allowing women to read.

The King was accompanied on the journey by Sir TRX-4, who was only allowed after receiving these excellent SSD 2.2 steel wheels adorned with Axial KO2s which is still the best looking 1.9 tire stretch of all time.

BHvCDrAl.jpg

You can pick up a set of these wheels for yourself never as they have long been discontinued. At least you will always have this picture.

But enough of the much less important member of the party and back to the King.

gZt7SXIl.jpg

The King is not quite as sure footed as other trucks but that is entirely due to these Axial BFG Krawlers being nowhere close to broken in. Based on current projected driving trends, I expect them to really come to life sometime around July 2023. They look great though so they stay at the cost of performance. I have other trucks that can be broken out when its time to pretend to be a comp bro and live my life 10 gates at a time.

5jPykAAl.jpg

There was supposed to be a witty driving observation to go with this pic but really I just like it. This line was repeated 3 or 4 times because I'm still not sure how it works with the dumpster on top.

xwWa19Yl.jpg

Moss, sand, and puddles on your rocks are less than ideal but the King largely handled it all like a champ.

9boGsLDl.jpg

Also, sometimes you get cool river shots in the background making generally lame driving pics much better.

These ledges are fairly scale and were pretty cool to see the OD gears really working.

ARVFTDQl.jpg

The video would be better if there was video and usually when I do have video, it rots on the memory card. If only there was something to do with RC videos.... (this is where the thinking emoji would go but we don't have one so you will have to mentally insert it).

And now, we all watch with glorious admiration as the King sets off on his journey home.

aoz5bgIl.jpg

It had probably been close to 2 hours of driving at this point, my kids were hungry and complaining as we were past lunchtime. Nothing really sets in your focus on running those tough lines like "DADDY, I'm hungry! Can we go? I want lunch! Do we have any yogurt?" The joys of parenthood are never ending.

I will sum up the Trail King driving experience with a dirty little secret: all the popular scale trucks drive really well. The bounty of great trucks spoils us all and there really are no bad choices. So remember, if anyone tells you their (insert scale truck brand) is way better than (insert another brand) and they win all the comps while pulling lines no one else can because they drive (insert scale truck brand), know they are either full of crap or only comp against a group of inbred chimps with toes for fingers.

And so, the King has returned to commiserate with his peers until the next adventure.

CP1WDXsl.jpg

I'm sure there is a thread somewhere about a year ago where I declared projects will get completed in 2019 and here I am making the same declaration for 2020. Things never change and never will I.

Farewell.

Did your SCX10 II Cherokee body drop right onto the TK? The holes in my body don't lineup with the TK body mounts front or rear.

Did your SCX10 II Cherokee body drop right onto the TK? The holes in my body don't lineup with the TK body mounts front or rear.

Pretty much.

The rear was no problem but the front was a little off from the shock towers not sitting perfectly vertical. I used a large adjustable wrench to give the chassis a little twist to get the shock towers up to vertical and the front posts lined up.

Back