• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Hacked up Newbright TJ (first rig and post!)

Updates

Began dovetailing the ole TEEJAY....well it's pretty much done... just have some patching up to do. what do you guys think about wheel wells? should i just build my own out of styrene?

Also, finally got around to building a (proper) 4 link truss for it. Front one isn't started yet. (need to make new links (unbent) and braze servo and panhard tabs on the chassis first).

AND, i found out that you CAN braze with propane rather efficiently. This joint was made using harris 56 and a propane torch. The tubes were at a 90* angle and i tried pulling them apart with vise grips to test the strength. The tubing failed before the joint did... so... propane = success!

Getting ready to build a cage for it tonight.

INSPIRATION:
(i apologize if you see your rig on here. I would give credit where it's due but I forget whose pictures i nabbed...)

There was another one that i'll probably straight up copy but i forget where i found the image... it'll probably be a mixture of the 2nd and 3rd pics.

what do you guys think?

more updates

Well i finally got around to building a damn cage for this thing!
got the back half 90% done today. Just need to braze a support from the very back end to the plate holding the the rear of the body together.

Things are a teeny bit crooked because i don't have a tube bender, but i'm happy with how it came out so far.

The cage will be done as soon as i pick up another stick of brakeline. :twisted:

does anyone have any ideas as to how to go about mounting the front part of the cage to the body? i thought about brazing small tabs and then jamming them between the doors and dash and running a bolt through it... how do people normally mount it ? does anyone have any detail pics they'd like to share? hrrmm?;-)

All I did in that area (dash) was to flatten the tube (brakeline) and drill though it for a 3mm bolt. I did use a washer with the nut on the body side. It has held up great so far. Here is a crappy pic<, it was hard to aim at where the bolt is with everything assembled.

IMG_1751.jpg

All I did in that area (dash) was to flatten the tube (brakeline) and drill though it for a 3mm bolt. I did use a washer with the nut on the body side. It has held up great so far. Here is a crappy pic<, it was hard to aim at where the bolt is with everything assembled.

That's a good idea!

Boggers arrived!

Well after impatiently waiting for 1 month, my boggers finally came in!

testing out some larger pictures...

Now i have to stretch the wheelbase a little bit... front tires rub the fenders and the rear of the wells. hopefully straight links will fix that "thumbsup"

rig looks great!! i had the same 1:1 inspiration

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279903

haha! holy shit! yeah yours is the one i was actually talking about copying! i just couldn't remember who built it. i was gonna do the cage the same as you did by the seats too, except i started my dovetail right at the doors, so i had to wrap the cage around the seats and mount it in the middle. I think i'm gonna leave my windshield on mine though. yeah yours looked sick, i saved your images on my comp to use as a reference when i was dovetailing mine!

Back