• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.
Bummer on the rear axle, but I feel your pain. So many little things I want todo and there is just no time left.
On the MIP - could you not just cut the smooth shaft behind the threaded section and extend it?
Quick easy and cheap!

Re: Guido: Scale TTC Bronco 2012 NWSC Rebuild 49" IROKs(Paint and interior updates pg

Just in case anyone missed it in the previous post. I'm open to any ideas or suggestions to lengthen the MIP CVD for the rear driveshaft. If anyone has a technique that works I'd love to hear it.

I turned down the Male shaft (non splined area) to be a slight press fit into 1/4" Chromoly tube, cut a small groove in the tube at each end and brazed them together. Been running it in my C3/TTC truck for 3 years. I can make you an extended male end if you need and mail it to you or bring it with me or incase you need a spare.

Re: Guido: Scale TTC Bronco 2012 NWSC Rebuild 49" IROKs(Paint and interior updates pg

Are you saying he just doesn't measure up Dean?:lmao:

:lmao:Hey! Now you're going to get me in trouble here!

Just thought I'd offer up some of my time if he's running behind schedule. Guido must be in tip top shape for the most anticipated weekend of fun this year! "thumbsup"

What is the total length you need back there?
I'm not sure yet, I'll have to measure.
Guido's such a classic....Inspired my builds. Hell helped me decide to get back in the hobby.
I extended a junfac drive shaft by cutting a piece of the a female side off and brazed it on to the one I wanted to extend. I greased a male shaft (made sure not to get flux on it) used it to align it and a v-block to lay it in so it's all parallel. Worked pretty good. Not sure how a MIP would do, more splines to be sure to line up.
Just an idea.
Keep up the great work.
Thanks LuckyDevil. It's always great to hear that Guido inspires someone. "thumbsup"
Just awesome, is iit possible for this to not be anymore awesome?
:ror: Thanks Norm. It would be more awesome if I had time to do the rear axle. :ror:
Add a couple more screws to your axle C's, without splines they like to work loose at the worst possible time.

Other than that, absolutely awesome work. You are one of the last true builders in this hobby8)
Already covered that Casey. I have a set screw threaded into the knuckle that goes into a hole in the axle tube. Unless the set screw comes out it's not possible for the knuckle to spin. Thanks for the advice though. 8)

Great job Griz! New updates are awesome. I love the old school way of building. Its becoming a thing of the past with computers and CNC's.
Thanks Scott. Yup, just trying to keep the old ways alive a bit. 8)
Great updates can't wait to see this in 2weeks. I missed v. Whatever the last one was. Last I saw Guido was MSD 2008
Thanks Difuser. I didn't realize you weren't at Nats in 2010, can't wait to hang out and see that Pumpkin Widelux. "thumbsup"
Looking good Griz!! That front axle is quite the example of 10 of S in a 5 lb bucket! Nice work getting it all on there.

I have got to get to work on mine! I am finding the same problem with gears right now. I want to get gears that have the cross pin is my issue. I have some old standard style HD gears that I could go to in a pinch but I want that security of the cross pin...
Thanks Harley. Yeah, it was a ton of crap to get on there. :ror: RPP had a HD gear set last week and I forgot to order it. Now they are sold out. :x
Like difuser said both designs have their downsides, but I agree with you that the pin makes me feel better.
Grizz, use two female sides one each end, and cut the male spline off and attach to one of the female ends.
I did what XSRCdesigns was saying for the rear of my bug buggie works very well you can make a long driveshaft easily

Bummer on the rear axle, but I feel your pain. So many little things I want todo and there is just no time left.
On the MIP - could you not just cut the smooth shaft behind the threaded section and extend it?
Quick easy and cheap!

I turned down the Male shaft (non splined area) to be a slight press fit into 1/4" Chromoly tube, cut a small groove in the tube at each end and brazed them together. Been running it in my C3/TTC truck for 3 years. I can make you an extended male end if you need and mail it to you or bring it with me or incase you need a spare.

Great ideas guys! I can make one of them work. I'll order a Summit length spline shaft, and an extra AX-10 female spline tube and see which one works best for me.
Dean and doublej, that is exactly what I was thinking of doing. I was hoping someone would suggest that so I knew if it worked. I appreciate the offer Dean. "thumbsup" Lemme get this Summit one in and see if it solves the problem first.
Are you saying he just doesn't measure up Dean?:lmao:
Hey now.......Me and chino are both asian descent. :ror:

:lmao:Hey! Now you're going to get me in trouble here!

Just thought I'd offer up some of my time if he's running behind schedule. Guido must be in tip top shape for the most anticipated weekend of fun this year! "thumbsup"
Oh, I'm behind schedule for sure. :ror:
gotta be one of my favorite scale rigs of all time. "thumbsup"
Thanks badhoopty, I appreciate it. That makes us even cuz that little orange tuber of yours is still one of my all time favorites. "thumbsup"

I'm not sure yet, I'll have to measure.

Your Traxxas will hold up the one I got from Rodney is starting to twist only because I lengthen my WB a little. I left some male spine. Kinda weak if you leave only the Male open. You can cut a piece of the female to reinforce.

I was measuring a fully open MIP it's around 5.375.

So I was looking at the wraith kit. They say it's 5.5 but if you use two larger wraith ends I think you will be 5.75-6

mip-gen-11116.jpg

Last edited:
Ah crap, you mean you, Kila and I are related somehow? :shock:
For better or worse, yes we came from the same gene swamp. :afro:
Your Traxxas will hold up the one I got from Rodney is starting to twist only because I lengthen my WB a little. I left some male spine. Kinda weak if you leave only the Male open. You can cut a piece of the female to reinforce.

I was measuring a fully open MIP it's around 5.375.

So I was looking at the wraith kit. They say it's 5.5 but if you use two larger wraith ends I think you will be 5.75-6
I agree, I think the Maxx shafts will survive, at least for a while. But since I have this other MIP I figured I can use it and have the Maxx for a spare.

I think the easiest fix is if the Summit bone that Justin posted will work. it will put me at 6.3", although I'm not sure if that is long enough.

Last edited:

I agree, I think the Maxx shafts will survive, at least for a while. But since I have this other MIP I figured I can use it and have the Maxx for a spare.

I think the easiest fix is if the Summit bone that Justin posted will work.

Only problem is if the MIP becomes to long you might get stuck cutting off the spine.:x

Any who

here's the part

MIP Drive Hub 5mm Long Wraith

I just ordered two so I can get you the length in a few days. LIke you have a few :ror:

Last edited:

Got another package today. :twisted:
Man I wish someone had the HD gears in stock. I have an underdrive set for the rear but all I have are the stock ones for the front.

I have the HD Overdrives if you want them...the EXO can wait.

I have the HD Overdrives if you want them...the EXO can wait.
Thanks Juan, but I think OD front and UD rear would bee too much difference. With the power of the Pro4 I'm afraid of it causing breakage and excess heat. I remember watching Devlin run that gear combo at 2010 Scale Nats and he said it was only good for 1 course at a time because the motor would get hot fighting the bind.

The TTC courses are pretty long and I still want to run in KOL as well.

I appreciate the offer though "thumbsup" and many thanks for the Beef Tubes.

I had a Maxx shaft in the back of the LUX I twisted into a candy cane with the T8 I run in it. That Pro4 might not be as big but still could cause you some heartache.

I still remember the winch clinic you put on for the Finals course in '08, I think you had 3 trucks all tied up in line to get the angle at one point....

'09 was divorce year, 5k miles on my Harley certainly helped with perspective
'10 was kinda starting to build scalers again and a certain blonde....
'11 was back in force having fun again, the blonde is still around
'12 TTC, C3,2,1.... plan on having fun with friends and seeing some cool updates and builds. The blonde is my wife and Dan's again happy 8)

1:8.6 scale actually. :mrgreen:

Thanks DJ, I appreciate it. Now you really need to make it to an event so we can hang out again.

I apologize on putting Grizz in the wrong class Chris. It wont happen again.:mrgreen:. Dude some much has changed on this truck since the last time I held it in my hands. Its amazing how far along its transformed. Awesome work man.

I'll attend an event one day, I promise you that.

I had a Maxx shaft in the back of the LUX I twisted into a candy cane with the T8 I run in it. That Pro4 might not be as big but still could cause you some heartache.

'09 was divorce year, 5k miles on my Harley certainly helped with perspective
'10 was kinda starting to build scalers again and a certain blonde....
'11 was back in force having fun again, the blonde is still around
'12 TTC, C3,2,1.... plan on having fun with friends and seeing some cool updates and builds. The blonde is my wife and Dan's again happy 8)
I'm sorry about the divorce but the rest of the timeline is awesome. 8)

Back