• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.
re: Guido: Scale TTC Bronco 2012 NWSC Rebuild 49" IROKS(Paint and interior updates pg53)

Well keep up the great work cant wait to see action shots of guido with the iroks being tested

Look at you cheating with all your fancy equipment. Axles are looking good(you way over complicated the bearing seat process), looks like you got your work cut out for you with the ole clock ticking. Keep it up and I'm sure you'll get it all lined out and impress once again. Oh, and grab you some foams from Eddie, you won't regret the new style and he will match them to your rigs weight for install and go.

Carter Fab & Machine: Hand Made Customs

re: Guido: Scale TTC Bronco 2012 NWSC Rebuild 49" IROKS(Paint and interior updates pg53)

Yup yup, the planning sucks because as your well aware of. Plans dont go without a hitch.
So true. :ror:
Well keep up the great work cant wait to see action shots of guido with the iroks being tested
"thumbsup"
Look at you cheating with all your fancy equipment. Axles are looking good(you way over complicated the bearing seat process), looks like you got your work cut out for you with the ole clock ticking. Keep it up and I'm sure you'll get it all lined out and impress once again. Oh, and grab you some foams from Eddie, you won't regret the new style and he will match them to your rigs weight for install and go.

Next time I might build a set without a bearing in the end of the tube. With universals or VVDs you really don't need it. I wanted to play it safe and make the bearing seat though. What do you mean I overcomplicated it? I thought it was a pretty simple way to do it. :???: Or is that proprietary info. :ror: After I got the setup dialed in on the first one the other 3 took no time at all.
I am strongly considering Eddies foams for sure and thanks, somehow I'll get this all done. Normally I don't even start working until 3 weeks before the event. :ror:
I say plans are like promises, meant to be broken. Lol, wife hates that.

:ror:

Easiest to cut them while in the lathe and your already setup. No extra programming, machines, or tooling needed. Programming, what's that? Haha
I put bearing seats in my steering axles also for added insurance.

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose

Holy shit grizz. The axles are sick!!!!!"thumbsup"
:ror: Thanks Bananaclip. "thumbsup"
Easiest to cut them while in the lathe and your already setup. No extra programming, machines, or tooling needed. Programming, what's that? Haha
I put bearing seats in my steering axles also for added insurance.

Ah. The axle tubes were never in the lathe though. The tubes were cut on the bandsaw.
Plus we don't have a tool for the lathe that will fit inside this size tube. Juan was making his own beef tubes for his sporty and ran into the same issue, so he came up with the technique to do it on the the mill.

Looks great Grizz! I like the width you went with "thumbsup"

I have a feeling some of Eddies foams would really make the difference on this rig, especially with those big tires. For the money, they're one of the best parts I have (on all of my rigs). "thumbsup"

Looking purdy - I sneek down to our metal shop here now and then. Between the sheer and the brake, life is so much easier.

Where did you get the tubing from for the axles.?

:ror: Thanks Bananaclip. "thumbsup"

Ah. The axle tubes were never in the lathe though. The tubes were cut on the bandsaw.
Plus we don't have a tool for the lathe that will fit inside this size tube. Juan was making his own beef tubes for his sporty and ran into the same issue, so he came up with the technique to do it on the the mill.

Killing me man. With this you can make any tool for any job just about. Big or small job(really small)ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346100383.046492.jpg

Killing me man. With this you can make any tool for any job just about. Big or small job(really small)View attachment 207553

:ror: We have one of those tools, but only one. I wasn't sure I should turn the company's only one into a tool for my rc car axles. :ror: Besides, our mill is in much better shape and more accurate than the lathe.

I promise, it didn't take any longer to do on the mill than the lathe. :mrgreen:

Looks great Grizz! I like the width you went with "thumbsup"

I have a feeling some of Eddies foams would really make the difference on this rig, especially with those big tires. For the money, they're one of the best parts I have (on all of my rigs). "thumbsup"
Yup, good chance I will get some of Eddies foams. Thanks man. 8)
Looking purdy - I sneek down to our metal shop here now and then. Between the sheer and the brake, life is so much easier.

Where did you get the tubing from for the axles.?
The tube is just HREW 1/2" steel from Ace hardware. I love using the sheet metal break and shear, so much fun. "thumbsup" Thanks.

The tube is just HREW 1/2" steel from Ace hardware. I love using the sheet metal break and shear, so much fun. "thumbsup" Thanks.

Your kidding me - all the hunting and digging I have been doing and 1/2 HREW is the right size? I think I was over complicating things as soon as I picked up the caliper.

Your kidding me - all the hunting and digging I have been doing and 1/2 HREW is the right size? I think I was over complicating things as soon as I picked up the caliper.
Well, it's almost the right size. The knuckles are a little bit loose, that's why I put the brass spacers on the tube.

A piece of K&S 17/32" OD x .503" ID x .014" wall tube from the hobby store slides over the 1/2" steel tube.

The brass has an OD of .531" which was a bit too much for the Vanquish knuckles so I put the axle tube with the brass on it in the lathe and filed/sanded it down to .526" diameter and the knuckles slip on nice an tight.

You can start with .625" bar and machine it all out, but I thought the brass sleeve way was easier. "thumbsup"

Well Thank You Sir! You just laid it all out for me. Your first beer is on me at nationals.
I have looked at solid rod but It just adds work. The simpler I can make something the better. I just need to check a few things since I want todo this with a plastic centers.
Thanks again mate.

Well Thank You Sir! You just laid it all out for me. Your first beer is on me at nationals.
I have looked at solid rod but It just adds work. The simpler I can make something the better. I just need to check a few things since I want todo this with a plastic centers.
Thanks again mate.
No problem. 8)
I tend to find the simplest way for me to do stuff, not always the most elegant or beautiful CNC stuff, but I like making stuff with my hands and simple tools.

Gizzy thanks for the motivation.. I was thinking about selling my TCC FJ for wraith. But I'm keeping it and keep plugging away at it. I'm caving in building wraith axles for it.

I don't think 6 million is gonna cover Guido's re-re-re-rebuild. Might have to Obama-size the budget!:shock:

:ror:

Axles are looking sexy as hell!"thumbsup"

your skill humbles me...

seriously.

Going to be really sad missing this one this year :cry:

Back