• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Exceed Mad Torque - Extensive Review and build thread

"As I was saying above, the lower links need to be better triangulated. I will be ordering material to make links very soon, and will make a new skid plate that will allow better triangulation to keep the axle in control.

Lastly, I will extend the wheelbase out to 17.5 so that at full compression the wheelbase will be at the USRCCA legal maximum 18."

Can you go into greater detail on how you made the wheelbase longer

This project has been sitting on the shelf for quite awhile, and is in no condition to run. I have a new chassis for it, and some new links, but still need to do a lot of work before this can get moving again. (Tires, links, body panels, skid plate, electronics mounting, etc)

As far as extending the wheelbase, I am just making longer, larger links. I am using 1/2" Delrin rod cut to the right length, chamfered on the ends, with large rod ends and M5 set screws.

As far as coming to see it, send me a PM with your contact info, and we can find some time to meet up. I'm in school full time and work 40 hours, so free time is at a minimum, but don't mind helping out.

Am thinking of an exceed for my first crawler and then upgrade to super bully's when the exceeds break and new wheels tires and motors

Great write-up. Hope you can get some time for another update with pics and video. I have had my MT for 2 years and want some cheap mods to out crawl my bro-in-laws MT.

GREAT review!! Helped a bunch. I just dropped the hammer and purchased a Mad Torque, no dreams of competition, just tooling around the back yard and wife's flower beds. Thanks again for the very detailed review.

Basically the local (and national) super class died out, and this is sitting on a shelf in my spare room. Really, with no motivation to finish it, it will probably stay like that for a while.

I recently received my Mad Torque artr. I have two different radios; Airtronics MT-4 and a Spektrum DX4C. I had a four channel receiver on hand for the DX4C radio so I decided to use that one. As I have received this second hand, it seems to be entirely stock. I have been trying to research what needs to be done and what parts I need to convert this crawler to 4ws. Initially, I heard that I needed a Y harness, additional servo and the 4ws linkage conversion kit. I have all that on hand now. However, after searching for a video on YouTube, I heard about a servo reversing harness as well.

Do I need the servo reversing harness? Especially, if I have a 4 channel receiver for my DX4C radio? I also saw another video where the truck had different steering modes (i.e. 4w coordinated and crab steering). What is required to accomplish this? Can the steering modes be selectable from 2ws, 4ws (coordinated steering) and Crab steering?

I need some help from one of you crawler experts :)

I recently received my Mad Torque artr. I have two different radios; Airtronics MT-4 and a Spektrum DX4C. I had a four channel receiver on hand for the DX4C radio so I decided to use that one. As I have received this second hand, it seems to be entirely stock. I have been trying to research what needs to be done and what parts I need to convert this crawler to 4ws. Initially, I heard that I needed a Y harness, additional servo and the 4ws linkage conversion kit. I have all that on hand now. However, after searching for a video on YouTube, I heard about a servo reversing harness as well.

Do I need the servo reversing harness? Especially, if I have a 4 channel receiver for my DX4C radio? I also saw another video where the truck had different steering modes (i.e. 4w coordinated and crab steering). What is required to accomplish this? Can the steering modes be selectable from 2ws, 4ws (coordinated steering) and Crab steering?

I need some help from one of you crawler experts :)

With the 4 channel, you won't need the Y-harness. You would plug the rear servo into one of the other channels. People using a y-harness are using a 2 or 3 channel radio and aren't able to control the rear steering independent of the front. So with your set-up, you will be able to have independent control of the rear steering to do the modes you saw (2ws, 4ws, crab).
I am not familiar with setting up either of those radios, but there are plenty of people on this forum with that experience that could help.

With the 4 channel, you won't need the Y-harness. You would plug the rear servo into one of the other channels. People using a y-harness are using a 2 or 3 channel radio and aren't able to control the rear steering independent of the front. So with your set-up, you will be able to have independent control of the rear steering to do the modes you saw (2ws, 4ws, crab).
I am not familiar with setting up either of those radios, but there are plenty of people on this forum with that experience that could help.

Thanks...

So, it sounds like I have more than enough parts to make this modification. Now, I just got to get the technical info of how to pull it all off.

I've thought about trying to figure out how to shorten the wheel base, so I could run a blazer body with MOA axles. Would deff have to fab a new chassis as well.

Silly question, but does the mad torque actually have durable metal gears installed from the factory? I am just confirming like from somebody that owns a mad torque

Silly question, but does the mad torque actually have durable metal gears installed from the factory? I am just confirming like from somebody that owns a mad torque
Yes metal gears and look quite beefy. Idk about under holmes power but stock motors wouldn't break them I dont believe

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

i couldn't keep the middle gear from breaking at the pin hole. i read somewhere about this issue and don't know how they solved the problem. i've been modifying the gear with my own shaft and it seems to be holding up fine. the other gears are holding up with no issues.

the only thing left of my mad torque are the transmissions, but this is what i wanted,

Back