• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

ECX Barrage, FTX Outback, RGT Bowler axle shafts and spools

StomperCrawler

RCC Addict
It seems like a lot of folks are breaking their plastic spools and steel(?) axle shafts. There are at least two different front axle shaft designs. Unfortunately, one type of axle (the newer, I believe) is out of stock until mid-June, probably due to being bought up by all the peeps whose axles busted. This is really hurting the viability of these great little 250mm-wheelbase rigs.

So my question to all of you who would like to pay $150 for your next rig instead of double or triple that for the competition is: what can we do about this?

My ideas are as follows:

1) Wait for Horizon to get more stock and pay $40 for another set of junk axles to break,

2) Figure out how to modify a different, readily-available axle shaft (ex. Scx10 universals) to fit (my preference), or

3) Let these models go the way of the dinosaur.

Now, regarding the spool, which is also out of stock almost everywhere, I see 4 similar options:

1) Wait for Horizon to get more stock and pay $20 for another plastic spool to break,

2) Upgrade to aluminum spools which are also difficult to find and $20 apiece,

3) Ask a vendor with a lathe and drill press to start making some metal spools (like the one below, again my preference), or

4) Let these models go the way of the dinosaur.

Please share your ideas and thoughts. Here are some part numbers and pics:

Upgraded aluminum spool/connect-box:
Redcat/HSP: 680010

ECX Barrage v1 = model ecx01009:
Front CVD axle: ecx212025
Plastic spool/connect-box: ecx212009

ECX Barrage v2/Doomsday = model ecx01011/10:
Front CVD axle: ecx222002
Plastic spool/connect-box: ecx212009

FTX Outback v1 = model ftx????:
Front dogbone axle: ftx8161
Plastic spool/connect-box: (probably) ftx8134

FTX Outback v2 = model ftx5584:
Front CVD axle: ftx8267
Plastic spool/connect-box: ftx8134

RGT Bowler v3 = model 137300:
Front CVD axle: 68215
Plastic spool/connect-box: 68009

b3f21aeca70e846ed20cfb168017d0f8.jpg
c0ddf2b9b1a33a3d98b60ad827d647f1.jpg
3bb7ba9c9ff2ee5979cdbdb58eab7dc7.jpg

c4ac5f9a701bac3091ada231bd9508c6.jpg
a38f4a92ff0747de5bbc26373bf6e943.jpg
b2ecf02bc0847c4105842e3aaac4ee81.jpg

Steel locker made by nicodrive01 six years ago for a Losi MRC: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/losi-mini-rock-crawler/380270-danis-chaotic-1-9-pro-2.html
... and a pic:
8f2ff8613e800ab33ee445a1e66de804.jpg

Last edited:
Dravtech was also making metal spools for ecx ring gear that he was using in mrcs.

Now the axle shaft problem easy fix but probably the most money option is to xr mod the axles with aftermarket parts for mrc.

Front adaptor for xr mod
https://www.shapeways.com/product/7TNJS7H4M/wrapter-for-losi-mini-rock-crawler?optionId=42685668

Rear adaptor for xr mod
https://www.shapeways.com/product/N...-rear-axle?optionId=42672385&li=related-items

Personally this is the best and strongest option in getting things up to snuff if they work and survive 1.9 class comp rigs I don't see why they won't on a scale rig, but this is my opinion.

Maybe if you can find mrc cvd axle shafts since the mrc pro knuckle fit. Be sides that haven't experimented with axles much.

Maybe if you can find mrc cvd axle shafts since the mrc pro knuckle fit. Be sides that haven't experimented with axles much.
Have you broken any? Which Barrage version do you have? Are you running the stock motor, gearing, tires, and nimh battery? How many hours do you have on your rig?

Have you broken any? Which Barrage version do you have? Are you running the stock motor, gearing, tires, and nimh battery? How many hours do you have on your rig?

No haven't broken any, I have a rgt rock cruiser, stock motor burnt have 3 hrs of use, stock gearing (60t spur/16t pinion), I ran 2 sets the stock flat iron clone at 4.2" and rtr trepodors on plastic axial glue on wheels (4.6"). 900 meh stock battery.

I sold my rgt axles to someone else on the board. He had bent a rear axle After a bad tumble and couldnt find axle shafts. Before I sold them I got Everest 10 axles and started my baroncho.

Last edited:
No haven't broken any, I have a rgt rock cruiser, stock motor burnt have 3 hrs of use, stock gearing (60t spur/16t pinion), I ran 2 sets the stock flat iron clone at 4.2" and rtr trepodors on plastic axial glue on wheels (4.6"). 900 meh stock battery.

I sold my rgt axles to someone else on the board. He had bent a rear axle After a bad tumble and couldnt find axle shafts. Before I sold them I got Everest 10 axles and started my baroncho.
Shouldn't it be called "Everuiser", "Evuiser", "Cruirest", or "Cruiverest" rather than "Baroncho"? Admittedly, "Baroncho" sounds better; I can see why you went with it. :)

I'm trying to get a guy here in Melbourne Australia to make me some spools but he seems to be very busy. I just wish I had the skills. I've got a contact in china also that might be able to make these.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

In for a solution to the spool/axles. Just bought a Gen2 and saw the aluminum spools are still hard to find. I was a little leary about buying a rig with not as much aftermarket or parts availability as say an scx10 but I'm definitely impressed for $180. Hopefully we can find some sort of option.

In for a solution to the spool/axles. Just bought a Gen2 and saw the aluminum spools are still hard to find. I was a little leary about buying a rig with not as much aftermarket or parts availability as say an scx10 but I'm definitely impressed for $180. Hopefully we can find some sort of option.

There are aftermarket parts that fit and work might not have the barrage name on them but there is an aftermarket if you know where to look.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-scale-talk/595660-hillbillys-barrage-upgrade-bible.html

Just letting everybody know, on hillbilly's tip in his Bible, the aluminum spools are back in stock on redcats site. Bought up a couple at $14.49 apiece. Looked liked they were in stock on Amazon too but they were $25 each.

Thanks for the link hillbilly. Actually yea I said that wrong it's really not the true redcat site. But the link to where i bought them are in the above link. Sorry if I confused anybody.

Alright just checked the site again and it says they're out of stock now. Don't know if they really sold out already or it was a mistake on the website and it let my order through. When I bought them last night it said there was 980 some in stock. Guess I'll see what happens.

Alright so just a little update. I got an email at the beginning of the week saying that my spools would be delayed in shipping until Friday (today). Got an email this morning saying my order was shipped. So I guess I got lucky and put my order in while there was still stock left. I checked the site again 5 minutes ago and it now says they're on backorder. Sucks cuz you never know when they'll be in stock again.

Hi,

I just got back into crawlers after a 7 year hiatus (life stuff.) I purchased an ECX Barrage and have managed to strip out the plastic spool in the rear axle. I've been looking everywhere (Redcat, RGT, etc. etc.) for metal replacements, but haven't found anything. Does anyone know who's currently stocking them or is there anyone on here that wants to sell a set?

Thanks!

Thanks for the response. I'd hate to sell my Barrage off due to this, but that seems to be the direction I'm headed. :cry:

You could always swap in a different set of axles. A lot more people are doing it. The barrage is a pretty versatile and take mods well. Don't let a lack of aluminum spools be the reason to sell it.

Which axles are the easiest to swap to? I looked at putting a set of old school Axial AX-10 axles under there, but the difference in frame size, hardware, etc. made me wonder how much work it would take.

Back