• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Ecto body on Trail Truck Builder's Kit

JimInMiami

Quarry Creeper
I found the new Element Ecto really interesting when it came out, but being a builder wanted to put one together myself. I like the Power Wagonesque/Comp style looks of it and thought it would make a good crawler body. Unfortunately no DIY kits are available (only RTR), so that project was shelved until I saw Associated selling the body kit with all the hard plastic components for a very reasonable price (Proline are you listening?).
https://www.associatedelectrics.com/element/parts/details/42161-ASC42161-enduro_ecto_body_set_clear/

At the same time, I found an online retailer blowing out their Enduro Trail Truck Builder's Kit (1) for a low $190 shipped, so pounced and decided to try to marry the Ecto body to the Enduro chassis.

It’s working out pretty well, the only real challenge was that the shock towers need to be moved forward to clear the Ecto’s rear bed. The Ecto RTR’s shocks are forward of the Trail Truck’s position because of the trailing arm style rear suspension.

MyI3xca.jpg

Luckily, the frame has wholes pre-drilled on the required locations so not a big deal. It occurred to me after locating the shock hoop with a locknut and drilling new holes in the frame cross member that I could’ve simply slid the cross member over (yes, I too suffer from the occasional bout of knuckle headedness). :oops:

gh7np3w.jpg

The side panels did have to be cut back rather severely, so that the body could be dropped down. I moved the ESC next to the steering servo as a result.

lb60I1G.jpg

As I had parts leftover from my previous Enduro build I swapped the rearmost frame cross member for a front cross member.

BqJd9M2.jpg

Now the rear cross member tucks neatly inside the bed.

3iZHMAB.jpg

I'm going with a team Brood 35 turn motor, HW1080 ESC and DS 35KG servo. Wheels are SSD steelies shod (for now) with Redcat Super Swampers I got from a friend.

Per my usual practice, paint was craft store acrylic brushed on from the inside (I live in a condo, spray painting cannot happen :sad:).

tNa0MbG.jpg

It’s not quite ready for final assemble, stills needs a couple of extra coats, but I wanted to drop the body on to get a feel for its look - what do you guys think?

fsSrzSi.jpg

Last edited:
That looks good! Nice deep rich color compared to the stock painted body. I strongly debated getting the Ecto body for my Gatekeeper but ended up painting the body panels this past weekend and like how they turned out, but this body is definitely on my radar. Nice job!

That looks good! Nice deep rich color compared to the stock painted body. I strongly debated getting the Ecto body for my Gatekeeper but ended up painting the body panels this past weekend and like how they turned out, but this body is definitely on my radar. Nice job!

Thanks, the body’s a good value, it even comes with the Ecto front bumper and faux winch.

So I was able to wrap up the project. I left off lots of the scale details (mirrors, door handles, etc) as they would only get chewed-up on the rocks anyway.

I also cut off the mounting tabs for the rollbar side panels which I wasn't going to instal.

Q4KP4t8.jpg

I think it resulted in a cleaner look, what do u guys think??

qo4N0q2.jpg

Oh and Tinky agrees, so there's that 8)

L7yujyc.jpg

I added a little paint to dress up the faux fuel cell and winch too.

e7LGWhK.jpg

aFBk5jC.jpg

1yDmEYw.jpg

Looks great!

Color really pops, nicely accessorized, too... "thumbsup"

(I'd flip the tire rotation, but just my opinion)

Looks great!

Color really pops, nicely accessorized, too... "thumbsup"

(I'd flip the tire rotation, but just my opinion)

Thanks for the kinds words, I think the color came out nice. The friend I got the tires from said he wasn't happy with their performance on our crawler course, so on a lark, I mounted them backward to see if there's any improvement. That's likely not the final wheel/tyre combo as I'm waiting on the G-Made MT1904's to become available again. I have a set of RC4WD deep disk steelies on hand that will widen the track and hopefully provide a little more lateral stability. https://store.rc4wd.com/5-Lug-Deep-Dish-Wagon-19-Steel-Stamped-Beadlock-Wheels-Plain_p_5146.html

Finished product looks awesome. Love the color. As far as the tires go, no need to remount anything. Just switch the sides they’re mounted on if you want to try them in the other direction. I always end up with mine facing “normal”, less aggressive direction. It gives up just a little bit of traction but I find the tires more predictable especially when you need to tap into some wheel speed to get over something. Tires make the single biggest difference in a crawler, but the foams are often overlooked. Now I want to put one of those bodies on my Gatekeeper. Lol

Finished product looks awesome. Love the color. As far as the tires go, no need to remount anything. Just switch the sides they’re mounted on if you want to try them in the other direction. I always end up with mine facing “normal”, less aggressive direction. It gives up just a little bit of traction but I find the tires more predictable especially when you need to tap into some wheel speed to get over something. Tires make the single biggest difference in a crawler, but the foams are often overlooked. Now I want to put one of those bodies on my Gatekeeper. Lol

Thanks KD, I'm taking it out this Sunday for its first outing and will play around with wheels/tires to see what works best. If you like this body style, you should def get one, as I think you'd pick up quite a bit of crawling performance by loosing at least 1/2 a pound up top compared to the Gatekeeper's cage.

I took it out on Sunday and must say I was very pleased with how it performed.

aSZd2gd.jpg

The "backwards" installed Redcat Super Swampers did so well, I didn't get around to testing the other wheel/tire combo I had brought along.

zm88IxW.jpg

If any of y'all are ever in South Florida, the Markham Park crawler course is worth a detour. https://markhampark.com/rc-truck-and-crawler-course/

ZxDKhRq.jpg

Looks good man! "thumbsup" I've slowly been liking these bodies more and more...

I'd lower either the body or the whole chassis. I feel like that body/other similar bodies look good as low as possible without chopping it up. But that's just my opinion.

Looks good man! "thumbsup" I've slowly been liking these bodies more and more...

I'd lower either the body or the whole chassis. I feel like that body/other similar bodies look good as low as possible without chopping it up. But that's just my opinion.

Yeah, the body looks better in person than in the adds. Being lightweight it doesn't negatively affect crawling performance.

Yeah, the body looks better in person than in the adds. Being lightweight it doesn't negatively affect crawling performance.

Right, and with a different shade of yellow it looks good. I bet murdered out would look super killer. I just meant for looks, not for better performance"thumbsup"

The acrylic paint looks boss "thumbsup"

Thanks, I like the darker yellow better than the RTR version. Not done on this build, but on several others, I've taken advantage of the fact that you can mix/match colors of art store acrylics to create your own custom colors.

Oh wow! This is awesome!

I am glad I found this post cause this is exactly what I have in mind so thank you for the heads up with the shock towers "thumbsup"

I'm a little bummed about the rear cross brace/bumper mount as I will be using the builders kit 2 and as it is my first go at an Element platform I have no stubby brace so may have to trim the standard one back :cry:
Wait a minute....
Ok, just compared the ecto manual and the builders kit 2 and they both have the same rear brace so i'll be fine :ror::ror::ror:

With regards to the floor boards I am going to get the gatekeeper floor boards and cut off the rear trailing arm section which will allow for the body to fit perfectly. They both have the same mounting holes and I can then keep the standard boards for future builds/bodies.

Back