• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Dawgbones first scale build - TF2

Trail Finder 2 - Cost Breakdown

So, I thought I'd give anyone thinking of getting a Trail Finder 2 a breakdown of the cost involved with a Trail Finder 2.

1 - RC4WD Trail Finder 2 Kit - 399.98
1 - Castle Creations SV3 ESC - 62.49
1 - Novak Terra Claw 35T Motor - 17.99
1 - MG946R 208oz Servo - 18.99
1 - Hitec HS-81 Micro Servo - 21.99
1 - Axial Racing AX80090 Corbeau Seat Black (2 pieces) - 18.99
1 - Dinky R/C's "Yota" Interior Kit (White) - 28.49
1 - RC4WD LED Lighting System - 17.99
1 - RC4WD Yota Axle U-Bolts Kit - 24.99
1 - RC4WD SCALE REAR HUBS - 9.99
1 - 1.9 Scale Crawler IFS Style Hi-Lux Toyota Hubs - 12.99
1 - RC4WD SCALE FRONT HUB INSTALLATION TOOL - 6.99
1 - RC4WD SCALE REAR HUB INSTALLATION TOOL - 6.99
1 - RC4WD Front Inner Fender Set for Mojave - 11.99
1 - RC4WD Lettering Kit for Mojave - 14.99
1 - RC4WD Hilux 4WD Emblem Set for Mojave - 7.99
1 - 13 Gauge Silicone Wire 10 feet 13 AWG Silicone Wire - 8.09
1 - RC4WD Tuff Truck Saddle Tool Box - 49.99
1 - RC4WD Red Super Soft Flex Leaf Springs - 29.99

This list of course does not include the TX/RX system as I already one on the shelf as well as I already have an abundance of batteries to use.

Total Cost (so far) - $771.90

This, of course, also does not include shipping on all items.

Since RC4WD was out of stock on almost everything I was trying to get, I had to go through CKRCCrawlers, EBAY, and multiple other sources.

It is a fun build, but be prepared to become a fabricator and a problem solver.

I hear that. I wish there had been a FAQ posted in this section before I bought mine. And I like your list. It includes allot of stuff that I think most people don't realize they want untill after they have built the truck.

I think I may start a FAQ thread.

Yeah, it's definitely the little things. If you're going for the realism, you gotta go for the extras. I still need spacers and another set of u-bolts. And also, glue the emblems on REALLY good. I had a simple roll onto the side and lost one. lol. But, guess that would have happened in a 1:1 truck, so - realism +1

While waiting for parts .....

Figured while waiting for parts, I'd try to build something else. Here's the first pic of some of the parts I have made ready. If things work out, I'll post more pics. Unfortunately, I do not have access to a tig welder, so it looks like I'll be trying some alumaweld........

IMG_1409-768x1024.jpg

And a quick mock-up

IMG_1414-1024x658.jpg

IMG_1412-1024x537.jpg

Let me know what you think and is there a better way to bond aluminum for the guy without a shop?

Last edited:
epoxy is your friend "thumbsup" also, i love the paint scheme I just wonder why you didn't do the extra light red strip on the other side of the door to the rain guard?

love the paint scheme I just wonder why you didn't do the extra light red strip on the other side of the door to the rain guard?

Good question. Answer is, I don't know. I'm thinking I'll be fixing it soon though.

I also saw a product recently called "Alumaloy" that looks awesome. I might buy a few sticks and see what the results are.

I was at a show a few years back and they had a booth set up showing the stuff off, and being the welder by trade that my father and myself are he bought a few sticks... I specialized in heliarc welding aluminum at work (or TIG as most people know it) and I have to say, I really don't know how they pulled it off the stuff actually works pretty damned good, don't know how strong on thicker alum. We've only used it a couple times on thin alum. And impressed... Might be worth a try for yah!

Back