• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Cut Pit Bull Maddogs=Amazing

UnlimitedJDB

Pebble Pounder
I bought some maddogs because I like the proportions, but after a few runs with them I wasn't overly impressed with the performance on my terrain (PNW-ish wet mix of sticky black dirt, roots and rock. I found they worked well on the rock but only if they were clean, with wasn't very often. The dirt here is too sticky and the tread is too tight to clean well and it's just a bad combo. SO out came the scissors and I cut all the small outers and the larger inners out. I think they look way better. I took them out this weekend for a test and was blown away. The conditions were worst case (raining/snowing, cold), yet I was walking up lines I couldn't touch with the same rig, but with mad beasts (same wheels/ weights/CI foams (different size, but same density))

Pics to follow!

Test Run.
This is our "challenge hill" Very very rigs make it to the top because it's smooth and steep. I walked it 3 times just to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

Another hard climb. Not a steep but covered in snow.

Love it.

I haven't figured out why more people don't cut . Tires are made to work okay in all conditions but we can tune them to work better in our own terrain and conditions.

The tire tread looks like a lifeline on a EKG Machine at the hospital. I am OFFICIALY naming it The Lifeline Cut

I think it looks like a soundwave, but I like the lifeline cut. It'll stick.

And yes, the pattern reminds me of both rip saws and tsls ( with every second center lug removed) BUT, these are still amazing pit bull compound and they are skinny, which means better keying and better clearance at full lock. It's a winning combo all around if you ask me.

Last edited:
They're no longer a nice set of tires....

Seriously, if you want a tire just to cut, then get a hard RC4WD tire. Don't waste nice tires.

I didn't cut them for looks, I cut them cause they sucked in the terrain I run in, and now they work better then any tire in have tired. Plus I think they look way better anyways, so it's a win win.

If you are going to post negative things that benefit no one do it on Twitter

Last edited:
Unless you have tried them both as designed and cut how can you say they are ruined? :roll:

Pitbull designs their tires with many edges and a terrific tire compound to grip. This is the same way with the scale tires. They are so well scaled that they have the same characteristics as the 1:1 tire. Therefore, because they work so well, I never needed to cut a set. They worked great as is.

How many 1:1 Pitbulls do you see cut? Not many.

...you should have known that the tread was doing to clog up in the snow. That's why you should have gone with a tire that had bigger gaps between the tread. But instead of selling them off and buying the right set, you decided to cut.

I didn't cut them for looks, I cut them cause they sucked in the terrain I run in, and now they work better then any tire in have tired. Plus I think they look way better anyways, so it's a win win.

If you are going to post negative things that benefit no one do it on Twitter

Again, you should have thought about the terrain you were going to be running in before you bought a set. The Maddogs are more for a dry, tacky rock. Not snow and slippery rock.

You'll learn..

I have a Twitter and never post negative stuff, so I have no idea where you were going with that. I know I'm not alone with this opinion of cutting Pitbull's awesome tires.

Why does it matter? Its hard to find a good looking scale tire that performs in the pnw and he took a gamble and had to modify them. I've taken gambles up here and been let down and Modded tires to try but in the end the end user has a tire, a pitbull still, just Modded for his liking.

Back