• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Customizing my SSD Pro44 axle

Stollenritter

Quarry Creeper
Hi all!
I got my Pro44 axle a few days ago and I really love the scale look and apperance! It looks a lot like the Salisbury axle on my old LandRover, so I had to buy one :ror:

That`s how it looks like after tearing the box appart:
pro 001.jpg

and, of course, some extra love:
pro 002.jpg

So far, nothing new here. But I wanted to detail the axle a little bit more to the looks of the real one. I like the small end caps on the Pro44 over the standard lockouts of the AR44 axle, but I think we can get a step further and mask the end cap / bearing holder as a brake drum.

That`s what the original looks like:
pro 003.jpg

pro 004.jpg

pro 005.jpg

And this is what I came up with:
Brake drum assembly:
pro 006.JPG

Drum dismantled:
pro 007.JPG

Hub carrier and brake pads:
pro 008.JPG

Hub and carrier w/o brake pads (this is the replacement for the end cap / bearing holder):
pro 009.JPG

Brake pads:
pro 010.JPG

Fast forward to today: delivery from shapeways!
pro 011.jpg

pro 012.jpg

Last edited:
That's awesome. One day I'll learn 3D modeling. It has so many uses in my daily life. Can't wait to see these assembled on the axles.

I'd suggest looking into a 1:1 jack and maybe jack stands :shock:

or at least a chunk of 6x6.

Very cool.
Thank you!

That's awesome. One day I'll learn 3D modeling. It has so many uses in my daily life. Can't wait to see these assembled on the axles.
Thank you! 3D moddeling is a lot of fun, but best of all is when your designed parts get real "thumbsup"
You will see pics of the assembled axle, of course, but you have to be patient :ror:

It is time to look for 3D machines now. Yes, I am interested in these projects :ror:
Indeed, it is!

I'd suggest looking into a 1:1 jack and maybe jack stands :shock:

or at least a chunk of 6x6.
You are right, safety first! I will forward your suggestions to my wife. Maybe it isn`t to late for a christmas present ;-)

Time for some close-ups and a rough mock-up :)
brake pads and zylinder:
pro 013.jpg

pro 014.jpg

pro 015.jpg

redrilling and tapping for better fitment of the hardware (as the holes are not perfectly true):
pro 016.jpg

It is a tight fit, I had to remove some paint from the axle
pro 017.jpg

End cap with holes for the (SSD) hardware:
pro 018.jpg

Also tapped the flange / hub:
pro 019.jpg

pro 020.jpg

pro 021.jpg

The hardware for attaching the brakepads to the carrier and for attaching the drum to the carrier is the hardware (M2x5) which came with the axle and was meant to hold the diff cover. The diff cover will be fixed to the housing by using the extra scale hardware.

pro 022.jpg

pro 023.jpg

Really cool design and idea. Is there something that can be done about the plastic used? It looks fake and toyish. Is it sandable or paintable with a filling primer?

Really cool design and idea. Is there something that can be done about the plastic used? It looks fake and toyish. Is it sandable or paintable with a filling primer?

Thank you, happy you like it! The plastic of the drum and carrier is a laser sintered Nylon, which shapeways calls "strong and flexible", the brake pads are made from "frosted ultra detail", which is more detailed, but also more brittle. Both can be sanded and painted.

I did some sanding, but not to the point where the grainy surface is gone. Paint is from Revell (brush) and Tamiya (rattle can):
pro 024.jpg

pro 025.jpg

pro 026.jpg

pro 027.jpg

Dang, that's cool "thumbsup"
Thank you!

Well I'm impressed. The detailing of the brake shoes is spot on. very nice work.
Thank you Sir! It worked out better than expected :)

Drilled an oil peep hole for propper maintenance :lmao:
pro 028.jpg

pro 029.jpg

Axle assembled:
pro 030.jpg

And with wheels on:
pro 031.jpg

pro 032.jpg

For reference: wheels are RC4WD Tango Down 1.9, tires are RC4WD 1.7 Atturo Trail Blade M/T.

Dass ist wirklich toll! Es seht ganz ehrlich aus...

(practicing my German)

Seriously awesome job.

Dass ist wirklich toll! Es seht ganz ehrlich aus...

(practicing my German)

Seriously awesome job.

Vielen Dank! I feel honored getting a compliment in my first language :)

This is so awesome! Great work!
Thank you, I am doing my best!

Maybe I am getting lost in details, but I had to do some brake lining:
pro 033.jpg

1mm welding rod
pro 034.jpg

pro 035.jpg

... and some clips made from 0.5mm aluminium sheet and some M1,5 left over bolts from a Losi Micro Crawler:

pro 036.jpg

pro 037.jpg

pro 038.jpg

pro 039.jpg

pro 040.jpg

Your project is coming out most excellent. "thumbsup"

And no you are not getting lost in the details. I have brass brake drums and rotors sitting in packages waiting for my pro44 internal, I plan on following your lead on the brake lines and fine details.

As I was scrolling through in awe, I was curious if there would be brake lines as well... Bravo! Great job here!

I am speechless. Impressive "thumbsup" and thanks for the update :mrgreen:
Thank you! I am happy to share my build and even more happy you folks like it!

Good God.
Thats fantastic.
I miss our old Series truck. Such simple mechanics.
Thank you! And yes, they are simple, a bit noisy, but (mostly) reliable :ror:

Your project is coming out most excellent. "thumbsup"
And no you are not getting lost in the details. I have brass brake drums and rotors sitting in packages waiting for my pro44 internal, I plan on following your lead on the brake lines and fine details.
Thank you, Sir! I would love to do my drums in brass! Feel free to post some pics!

As I was scrolling through in awe, I was curious if there would be brake lines as well... Bravo! Great job here!
Thank you very much! To be honest, it looked naked without brake lines, so I gave it a try. :mrgreen:

This is really cool. Not much more to say than that... really cool.

It would be awesome if we could get these axle shafts with built-in link/shock mounts. If SSD or a third party would make this and rid us of the two bolts on each side, it would be an awesome final touch to what you have done.

Great job!

This is really cool. Not much more to say than that... really cool.

It would be awesome if we could get these axle shafts with built-in link/shock mounts. If SSD or a third party would make this and rid us of the two bolts on each side, it would be an awesome final touch to what you have done.

Great job!
Thank you! Yes, it is cool and it is even more cool to get all those nice comments from you guys!

Order of today: bits of paint for the brake line to hide the shiny stainless steel:
pro 041.jpg

pro 042.jpg

Added a diff guard:
pro 043.jpg

pro 044.jpg

The diff guard is printed in "HP Nylon" using multi fusion technology, which should offer higher quality and lesser wall thickness over the standard "strong and flexible". I am not sold on that. This part has a few issues.

I . could . not . resist .

Little voices in my head told me: that brake will not work properly without return spring. :lmao:

So back to pliers and (florist) wire:
pro 045.jpg

pro 046.jpg

pro 047.jpg

pro 048.jpg

Now it is time to find a nice chassis to put this axle under ...

Back