• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

cheap 3 gear aluminum trans

the cap on the back is kinda interesting ill bet you could run the shaft out the other side or straight through for what ever reason

Yeah, that is what I'm hoping to do. I plan on putting this in my GCM J2 Skeleton build, and I need to reverse the top shaft so it comes out the other side. The cap looks like it will allow for this.

Getting ready to tear in too these soon to find out."thumbsup"

Interesting...mine didn't have a cap, it was molded in. I drilled out a 6mm hole in the case to switch the top shaft.

Last edited:
Here she is apart.

It doesn't look to bad. All steel gears, has some grease and spins smooth. The bearings are a bit wobbly so I may swap out to a better bearing in the future. For now I'll run the bearings and see how long they last.

The brass cap has threads. Looks the threads can be drilled out to a bigger size to reverse the top shaft.

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

The price has gone up to 20.50, but if you offer that seller that was linked on page 2 the original price of $14.79, he will accept it. Or at least he just did for me.

It's a pretty standard upgrade for the capra crowd. I don't know how the trx gearing compares, but I can't imagine it's much different.

I ended up pulling the trigger on the not quite as cheap version. I wanted to try a counter rotating setup. The version with the front reversed suited my capra setup better than having the reverse output in the rear. It also happened to move the motor forward a couple mm which was useful in my build.

g0pp4IY.jpeg

I got the transmission today and the top shaft and spur gear/spur gear hub assembly are very loose with a lot of side to side play that will not allow proper mesh with the motor pinion gear.

It appears that the top shaft is machined to small and is very loose in the bearings and spur gear hub.

Might want to pass on this tranny.

I got the transmission today and the top shaft and spur gear/spur gear hub assembly are very loose with a lot of side to side play that will not allow proper mesh with the motor pinion gear.

It appears that the top shaft is machined to small and is very loose in the bearings and spur gear hub.

Might want to pass on this tranny.
that sucks any 3 gear top shaft works i just swaped out my top shaft with a redcat topshaft to use the redcats slipper clutch eliminator

its also posable they used the wrong bearings or left the bearing out all together

I think the whole thing is kind of jacked. The bearings are loose on the shaft and the inner and outer races of the bearings are super floppy. If I put much pressure on the inner bearing race it might fall out.

I think the whole thing is kind of jacked. The bearings are loose on the shaft and the inner and outer races of the bearings are super floppy. If I put much pressure on the inner bearing race it might fall out.

I noticed that the bearings in the 2 that I bought were loose and sloppy too! I haven't done it yet, but I'm going to replace them with better bearings. I think the better bearings should tighten it up.

My topshafts in both seem to be ok.

I kind of feel if you need to replace all the bearings it kind of defeats the purpose of buying it though. At least it only cost $15. Lesson learned.

I kind of feel if you need to replace all the bearings it kind of defeats the purpose of buying it though. At least it only cost $15. Lesson learned.
ive bought about 15 of these things over the past 10 years or so and have never gotten a bad one but i have noticed them slacking a bit on the machining but not one has failed yet

the 2 speeds though i have had some problems with there getting worse too the last 2peed the pocket the shift rod sits in was only drilled on one half of the case so it couldent shift then once i fixed that the shift cogs on the gears wernt machined right and would cold weld them selfs together mid shift and i had to take it apart to unjam it but after fixing that it works ok

I sent the seller some pictures of the problems, and they are sending me a new one. We will see how it is.

Back