• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Build is almost done

saddlesore

Quarry Creeper
So i finally got the body painted and mounted. I swear that took longer than building the chassis. My goal was to paint it hydro blue like the 1:1 version but it came out quite a bit darker than what i wanted. kinda bummed but i can live with it.

here is the list of optional parts i have on the rig:
Knight Customs Angry Eye grill set
Axial JK Unlimited Body with roof
Axial LED light bucket set (for the Angry Eye grill)
SSD 1.9 Assassins
Vanquish SLW 350 hubs (got the track width a bit wider and more scale looking)
SSD Rock Sheild front bumper
RC4WD Atturo Trail Blade (which looks like a knock off of the Toyo Open Country MTs)
RC4WD Mini Warn winch
Axial Poison Spyder JK RockBrawler rear bumper

I was able to squeeze in a 4068 2650kv sensored motor in the thing and im running a 16t pinion.

I'd like to get different headlight lenses. I've seen ones out there that are clear with halo LEDs. Anyone know what brand/parts they are?

The grill/front of the body also has a big gap between it and the front bumper. In fact, i had to grind out a notch in the Angry Eye radiator as well as my battery holder to mount the body. its almost like the frame rails in the front stick out further than the SCX10 because moving the body forward and re-drilling the body post holes would get it closer to the bumper but then the tires end up rubbing on the crusher flares. was the SCX10s wheelbase setup further up the frame rails?

i have a set of Knight Customs inner fenders ordered as well as the Vanquish Brawler Rocker kit to finish off the look. I might eventually wire it up with some LED headlights and a light bar.

i have that winch installed but have no idea how to get it to work.

oh...one last thing. i wanted to bolt/glue on some mesh behind the grill. maybe paint it blue to tie the colors in. any suggestions on what i could use for that?

I love this. I would really like to build a scale version of my 1:1; but, It's a CJ5 and I don't have the skills or experience to fab and mod what I would need in order to do an actual replica.

It's going to look great with the VP PS Brawler rocker kit. I say go all the way and add the light bar, Rubicon stickers, mirrors etc ...just like the 1:1.

Obviously it's your toy and build; but, you could also add blue D-rings and mount a Hi-Lift on the hood like your 1:1. I considered connecting my Hi-Lift to the hood pins for this.

There is a shop in Southern Utah (Dixie 4 Wheel Drive). They build insane Jeeps and 4x's. They also sell Axial products. For some customers, they have built scaled replicas of their built 1:1's to match. Pretty cool, or dorky, to see pictures of full size and tiny identical rigs.

Obviously it's your toy and build; but, you could also add blue D-rings and mount a Hi-Lift on the hood like your 1:1. I considered connecting my Hi-Lift to the hood pins for this.

There is a shop in Southern Utah (Dixie 4 Wheel Drive). They build insane Jeeps and 4x's. They also sell Axial products. For some customers, they have built scaled replicas of their built 1:1's to match. Pretty cool, or dorky, to see pictures of full size and tiny identical rigs.

Dude...i wish i had a 1:1 that looked like that! i drive a $3000 Prius with 140k miles:lmao:

I've always wanted a JK though. Figured the cheapest way to do it was to build a crawler.

I like the blue D rings idea! I'll pull those off and paint them tonight. Im actually considering painting the 'Angry Eye' part of the grill to match the body color and even the crusher flares...what do you think?

I also want a better looking headlight lens. like a clear one that has angel eyes? any ideas?

Ah, haha. Yeah. A 4 door JK would be the ultimate family car for us; but, honestly its the most expensive rig for what you get. You are paying for awesome with a Jeep. For now, we will stick with a mini-van which fits our stage of life - Soccer, carpool, etc. and keep the CJ5 for a bit of fun on the side.

In that case, forget matching it exactly if there is anything you would change. Build it how you would if it was your full size. I like where it is headed and it makes me want to build an RC JK; but, I think I want to build a Honcho fist as my next car.

I'm new to this and unfortunately have no advice or ideas for clear lens.

Man your rig is looking GREAT 8) 8) 8)

~D

Thanks man! I'm new to this crawling business too and i love the scale aspect of the category. ive seen crazy builds out there that look like the real thing. ill post more pictures as i add more bling.

Oh...mounting the body pins with the hardtop is kind of a pain in the ass. you have to remove the 4 screws off the hard top to get to the body pins. anyone out there have an easier solution?

So here she is with a few more bits added.

SSD diff covers
SSD steel D hole wheels
VP SLW 475 hubs (to get the right track width)
SSD scale locking hubs
Hot Racing blue alum D rings
Knight Customs inner fenders
HeyOK 'The Light Controller'
MadDog RC Slim 6" light bar
VP Poison Spyder light bar mount
VP Poison Spyder Brawler sliders
Axial XJ roof rack

It was a pain to mount the Brawlers because they were designed for the SCX10. I had to fab some mounts to get them in the right position. Same with the SSD Rock Shield bumper. The wheelbase on the 10.2 is situated further back in the chassis rails so the bumper stuck out about 1/2" from the front of the grill. I had to do some Dremel work on the bumper to get it to slide further in the rails to get it flush with the front grill. Actually, getting the JK Unlimited body on the 10.2 chassis was quite an ordeal but i finally got it to work.

Ill post pics of all the modifications i had to do to get the Brawlers, SSD bumper and body to work.

Last edited:
Just got my SSD alum knuckles and C-hubs!!!!! They look sweet! Got them from RPP on Cyber Monday. Gonna slap them on tonight and hopefully it will get rid of the slop from the plastic kit parts that cause that awful negative camber.

I like the blue! Very nice looking rig. I liked it without the roof rack but it's your build. Question... did you have difficulty mounting the SSD diff covers? I read that the hardware was to long or short?

Thanks! I got the diff covers from RPP a few weeks ago and they came with the right hardware. didnt have any issues with it being too long or short

Thanks man! You in Sacramento? I grew up there. I'm in the East Bay now. Do you know of any crawling competitions/clubs in the area?

That's funny. I grew up in San Mateo and moved here about 10 years ago. There are a bunch of us that crawl up here in the Sacramento area. Folsom Lake has some nice spots!

Installed the SSD alum knuckles and C hubs and they are sweet! Got rid of that awful slop from the plastic parts which caused a ton of negative camber.

LEDs working with my new Hobbywing Quicrun 1080 esc. BEC switched to 7.2v and are powering the headlights, parklights, tail/brake lights and reverse lights. Lightbar powered by 3s battery. All controlled by HeyOK 'TLC'. Recently switched my electronics to run a brushed system which is why i went with the Quicrun 1080. I had a massive 4068 2400kv sensored motor squeezed in the chassis but the system wasnt waterproof so i pulled it out. Now running a cheap Yeah Racing Hackmoto 17t motor.

Installed the RC4WD JK rear light buckets with some LEDs

Ok i think im done w this JK body. Time to work on some of my ideas for the XJ body.

got a little crawling in today. area had a ton of broken up concrete dumped by a creek. perfect for the 10.2. this is my first ever crawl and i am amazed at how capable this rig is! its incredible how balanced it is and how much traction it has even with the kit tires. so much fun! the 17t brushed motor with 16t pinion is a bit much though. didnt have the low speed high torque control i was hoping in a brushed motor. i think i got spoiled with my 2400kv 4068 sensored motor. gear down to a 13t pinion? or get a higher turn motor?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/trAmFQWTYdU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just got my SSD alum knuckles and C-hubs!!!!! They look sweet! Got them from RPP on Cyber Monday. Gonna slap them on tonight and hopefully it will get rid of the slop from the plastic kit parts that cause that awful negative camber.

Your Jeep looks great! I can tell that you put a lot of thought and effort into it.

Did you have any trouble installing the larger bearings in the SSD Knuckles?
I held off installing mine because there was so much resistance fitting the stock bearings into the opening.

Otherwise it looks like they would work great with my new Currie axles. For now I'm using the stock knuckles, but that won't last for long.

I look forward to hearing more about your body mounts. As we discussed in another thread, there is a problem with a 4.75 tire clearing the fender on the left side when turning.

For now I'm running original Rock Beast tires and don't have the problem. I do want to eventually run the Rock Beast XLs, and that's where the rubbing comes in.

I certainly don't want to mess with the front end geometry. It is absolutely amazing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Very nice work there sir! "thumbsup" :twisted: 8)

~D

Thanks man! I'm addicted to tinkering with this damn thing. I bought some micro line tape to highlight the door and hood seams for more detail. I'm also considering getting a new brushed motor. maybe a $49 holmes hobbies crawlmaster 13t or 16t. i want the low end torque and control without sacrificing the wheelspeed. good choice? 13t or 16t? thoughts?

i also need to change my tinkering to driving ratio from 97% tinkering/3% driving to 97% driving/3% tinkering..."thumbsup":ror:

Your Jeep looks great! I can tell that you put a lot of thought and effort into it.

Did you have any trouble installing the larger bearings in the SSD Knuckles?
I held off installing mine because there was so much resistance fitting the stock bearings into the opening.

Otherwise it looks like they would work great with my new Currie axles. For now I'm using the stock knuckles, but that won't last for long.

I look forward to hearing more about your body mounts. As we discussed in another thread, there is a problem with a 4.75 tire clearing the fender on the left side when turning.

For now I'm running original Rock Beast tires and don't have the problem. I do want to eventually run the Rock Beast XLs, and that's where the rubbing comes in.

I certainly don't want to mess with the front end geometry. It is absolutely amazing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the bearings fit with no issues. try to make sure theyre not going in at an angle. i imagine the tolerances are pretty tight.

ill take pics of my body mounts and how i got the vp brawler sliders to fit (hint...the stock mounting holes will not work). ill also try to get a good shot of how i got the SSD rock slider front bumper to fit semi flush against the grill with the body mounted further back on the chassis rails.

did you say you had both the scx10 and the 10.2? can you take a pic of both of them side by side without the body? i wanna see if the OG 10 really has the wheelbase positioned differently vs the 10.2

Thanks man! I'm addicted to tinkering with this damn thing. I bought some micro line tape to highlight the door and hood seams for more detail. I'm also considering getting a new brushed motor. maybe a $49 holmes hobbies crawlmaster 13t or 16t. i want the low end torque and control without sacrificing the wheelspeed. good choice? 13t or 16t? thoughts?

i also need to change my tinkering to driving ratio from 97% tinkering/3% driving to 97% driving/3% tinkering..."thumbsup":ror:

I've heard good things about the 13T Crawlmaster for torque+wheelspeed. It's what I'd get if I didn't have my heart set on the Puller Pro.

I have the 13t Crawlmaster. I planned on running it until I could afford a brushless. I have had it in my truck for a few months now. I am convinced that I do not need a brushless. It has plenty of wheelspeed on 3s, lots of torque and it is smooth enough at low speed to count the lugs on the tires as they roll by. Awesome motor, I will get another soon so I have a replacement for when the brushes go.

Back