• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Budget electronics for newb 1/10

npowell93

Hey!
Got the impulse and pulled the trigger on a 1/10 Gmade Komodo RTR. Got an awesome deal on it and it seemed pretty decent. After doing some research on it, I realized that the esc/motor aren't water proof and there is no programming for drag brake. I have a lot of 2s batteries so that's what I would plan on using preferably. Brushed or brushless does not matter, but waterproof and drag brake would be nice. I'm looking for a decent setup for $100 or less. What do you guys recommend?
Thanks!
Nick

cbb1b90b7c8457df0c4fdf9c9930f91a.jpg

This is my Komodo RTR ESC and it says waterproof and you can select for drag brake.

I really like my Komodo electronics, except the motor that poofed on the initial bench test. I installed a cheap 35t and it's fine.

Brushed motors don't mind water, just use WD-40 after use and you'll be good.

Use the money you save to buy CVD's, the stock steering is sub-par.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's essentially the same wp1040 rebranded by Axial/RedCat/etc. You can get them on ebay for $25-35, and it will work with 2S or 3S and any $10 35T-55T can motor. The wp1080 is certainly a bulletproof step up, but I'm not exactly sold on $50 brushed motors. I'd rather get a sensored brushless motor & esc.

Well in USD I'm running a $20 motor and $41 1080 ESC and they have been a great combination. Water, dirt, half the time spent at max rpm and probably the best part of 50 km of driving. Plenty of wheelspeed and cool running.

People may not like that such a cheap setup does 24km/h and runs cool and reliable compared to say a $450 waterproof brushless sensored rig but what a huge price difference. I figured it was worth a gamble and was very happy with the results. Check out the 1080 thread; don't think there is a single negative comment.

I also don't think there are any affordable sensored and actually waterproof brushless systems available. Even HW don't have a single one in their entire range.

That's essentially the same wp1040 rebranded by Axial/RedCat/etc. You can get them on ebay for $25-35, and it will work with 2S or 3S and any $10 35T-55T can motor. The wp1080 is certainly a bulletproof step up, but I'm not exactly sold on $50 brushed motors. I'd rather get a sensored brushless motor & esc.

i wasnt either until i ran a holmes brushed motor... Now all my brushed motors are holmes motors and my brushless are holmes as well...

Back