• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Best skidplate material?

roktoy said:
To someone who has played with various materials......what seems to slide the best over rocks?

Aluminum, delrin, teflon, G10, carbon fiber or ???? Or is there significant difference between these?

Jay

IVe been using 1/4" abs, durable and slippery and lighter than delrin

carbon fiber when scratched frays and can cause failure (stress risers)

teflon is slipperrrry but hard to come by in sheet form

alum is hearty but heavier

there is no perfect material

I've been using Delrin for the skid plates and links on my crawlers for awhile now, it works great. I have broken a few Delrin links though.

JasonInAugusta said:
Best stuff I've found is 1/8" teflon-impregnated Delrin from McMaster.

BENDER said:
I've been using Delrin for the skid plates and links on my crawlers for awhile now, it works great. I have broken a few Delrin links though.

Yeah... but what do you guys know about crawlers... it's not like you ever won any titles or anything...

:p

I've used cutting boards with good results. But I'm just cheap. It's real easy to work with pretty strong, slick, light weight,and Cheap. Under a dollar.
2448814_44_full.jpg

Do you guys sand the cutting boards down smooth? Only ones I've found were all textured. What I think would work great is the plastic bottom part of the bag things at walmart or any store. It's white and really slick. Reminds me of that UMDH(or some letters) stuff the 1:1 crawlers use for skids.

The cutting boards are most likely UHMW (ultra high molecular weight) which makes a great skid plate.

UHMW is pretty cheap, kind of a pain to machine because it burr's up and it's a pain to clean the edges after machining.

Aluminum tends to be soft enough that it allows the rocks to dig into it, slowing your progression. I'll throw in another vote for Delrin. I use Delrin on 1:1 rigs as a type of bearing material between two moving steel pieces. It glides pretty well without wear.

ive had alot of success with 22ga sheet steel, you can get it from Canadian tire or any other auto parts store i imagine. Is super easy to form, cut yadda yadda yadda and its dirt cheap.

High density poly-etholene. Commercial kitchen cutting board. It is really tough and has a waxy property to it, not to mention it is smooth as glass. This stuff slides over rocks very well.

Ace said:
The cutting boards are most likely UHMW (ultra high molecular weight) which makes a great skid plate.

UHMW is pretty cheap, kind of a pain to machine because it burr's up and it's a pain to clean the edges after machining.

I second this! The UMHW is a high impact, super dense poly that takes a beating and slides off even the toughest rock surfaces!

JasonInAugusta said:
Best stuff I've found is 1/8" teflon-impregnated Delrin from McMaster.

I'll second that. I tried the "etched" teflon from there before. They put some sort of chemical on it so you can glue it. Only prob I had with it is it doesnt hold up that well. But then it's "plastic" so what do you expect.

Next question- can you rit dye teflon? I just bought a flexible cutting board at wally world for next to nothin but it's that cheezy blue color...

Back