• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

2011 axial west coast championships

glad to hear cole will be at the top of his game again and as far as i know he still needs to teach his daddy how to drive :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

You guys definitely deserve those rigs!! can't wait to get my butt kicked by both of you! :mrgreen:
congrats and thanks to all the judges as well, you guys worked your butts off out in the sun, enjoy those rigs!!

What a phenomenal comp, weekend, and week.... we had such an amazing time. We are finally home, and my chair has never been more comfy (and the area I live in has never seemed uglier, haha).

On the way home Jake asked me what my favorite part of our trip was (we left last wednesday, and the trip included: hanging out with some of my favorite extended family members, meeting new friends, the comp, fishing and camping at tahoe, and mountain biking in Mammoth...). I'm fairly certain picking a favorite part is darn near impossible.

Thank you everyone that worked so incredibly hard to make that one incredibly memorable weekend... I really appreciate all that you guys did and continue to do for maximizing the enjoyment and improvement of this sport.

2011 AWCC comp recap

I find myself in my lab, lying on a 17<SUP>th</SUP> century Settee, wearing only my lab coat and designer underwear, compelled to infuse a new formula for the 2011 Axial West Coast Championships. If your wondering who I am, I’m Axial Racings Madd Scientist, known to most as Parker, to competitors as DRIVNMF, and to all as “crazy”. Call me crazy, most scientific geniuses are, but I’m no genius, in fact, far from it, but what I am is a man dedicated to the pursuance of fun for all r/c rock crawling enthusiasts.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
As the past AWCC formulas ricocheted off my inner cranium like kids in a bounce house, finally the crawling code showed itself. I leapt from the Settee leaving the lab coat behind and bearing only the vintage underoos that I scored off one those bidding web sites, oops, my bad; I mean designer underwear. I raced to the beakers and lighting the Bunsen burner, I began.
<o:p></o:p>
The issue at hand was to give drivers something new to challenge their mind, body, and soul as an r/c rock crawler. The concoction turned out to be quite simple with the right ingredients and I already had them. Let’s start with the 2011 AWCC sponsors, Axial, Vanquish Products, Camel Bak, Tekin, MaxAmps, Futaba, PIAA, TJM <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">USA</st1:country-region></st1:place>, Dragon Sunglasses, Pure Fit, Mechanix Wear, and Oliver Knifes.
Next we add passionate judges, who can also drive, volunteers that work non stop to reach funs boiling point and of course, we need all the experimentation to be documented. This year’s coverage was handled by Matt Higgins, Editor-in-Chief of Car Action Magazine. Accompanying Matt is Scott G, free lance writer extraordinaire and have golf cart will travel. RC Driver’s take on the AWCC was up to the Senior Executive Editor and driving phenom, Greg Vogel and West Coast Editor and a man no stranger to a controller, Tony Phalen. Xtreme RC sent an AWCC free lance writer and veteran of the event, Matt Soileau and free lance photographer Mike Morris.
With everything in place and the temperature just below the boiling point, it’s time to add a little Parker Pepper to the equation, courses! Three new course formats and a boundary line to straddle and a boundary to jump was just what the Madd Scientist ordered to keep drivers on top of their game.
This year’s drivers got to experience my new motto for 2011; more drive time and less line time. Courses featured more drive time by offering two laps or an extended course or simply 10 additional gates to drive for progression bonus points. Less line time is achieved through two judges running multiple drivers on course at the same time. Thank you Amer! To give you an idea of how well it works, there were 61 drivers on LCQ day. Those drivers started at 0900hrs and the last driver finished at 1208hrs. That’s right, just over 3 hours to run 61 drivers through 7 courses. Do Work, course designer!
The action of drivers putting rubber to rock was sooooo insane. The 2011 AWCC not only had a stacked field of drivers from all across the country, but the young talent was off every chemical chart in the lab. Suspence Crawler, Spencer French; Jug JR, Denzel Judkins; and Mr. Nick, Nick Jackson are some of the best young drivers on the west coast. These kids drive with the conviction of perfection and they understand that finishing courses is more important than being clean through 7 gates just to DNF. They utilize the allotted points and finish courses. This new style of driver may just teach some old pros some new tricks. I am looking forward to following these up and coming stars of r/c rock crawling.
The Pros, were pros. 2.2 Pro Drivers were faced with unbelievable line choices. The chess game was intense between the top qualifiers from across the country. The Axial West Coast Championship is the only manufacturer backed r/c rock crawling series that drivers qualify to compete in the championships. The level of professionalism found at the AWCC is second to none and is enhanced by brilliant driving.
Congrats to the 2011 Axial West Coast Champion, Brian, Burbo, Lorenz. He received the USRCCA National Invite and I look forward to watching him compete in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Las Vegas</st1:place></st1:City> at the RCC Nationals. On behalf of all the 2011 Axial West Coast Championship sponsors, good luck Brian.
I’m the Madd Scientist and I’m back to the lab for next years AWCC. If you have never attended a big event or you have only read about the AWCC and would like to participate next year, please come and see us next year, you will be glad you did. Until then, I’m Parker and I’m out!

Brad and cole, new rigs, new year, and hopefully a new outlook on crawling !"thumbsup" great to see two of the most hard working, unselfish,dedicated, and unrelentless when it comes to rc crawling and baja racing, you and cole have worked very hard for the past 2 yrs that i've known you, you have been rewarded with friendships and smiles, now you have been given a new found strength in an xr-10!"thumbsup"

to all the other's whom recieved the gifts from axial this year, ya'll know who ya are, i too applaud you guy's for keepin the rubber to the rocks!

intelligence,integrity,and uncomprimised love for this hobby is what keeps this alive!

thank you to all for the hard work and see ya'll at a comp soon!

My Pleasure

Thanks for eating my cooking, I am glad you enjoyed it. It was a privelage to take care of the crew in my own small way. You Guys rocked it no doubt."thumbsup"

This week is passing fast

I will start posting images to our Flickr page for AWCC 2011:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/axialrc/sets/72157626931941136/

Then I will start having some blog post show up on the Axial Blog:
http://axialracing.com/wordpress/

It's Tuesday, two days after the aftermath of AWCC. I had to take Monday off and celebrate my daughters [postponed one day] 16th B-Day:cry: and my 18th wedding anniversary.:mrgreen:

So, it's Tuesday and I am starting to go through the bazillion images.... yea, i'm tired still, it's Tuesday!

Posted this:
http://axialracing.com/wordpress/2011/06/28/awcc-2011-winners/

So, this post never got posted on Tuesday... I seem to have left the window open and did not hit the "Submit button":lmao:

Wednesday we had a photo shoot to do..:roll: It was more laying in the dirt for the day. It hurt, but we came away with some awesome images and video. Don't ask.... just know that we are working hard over here!!!

Now it is Thursday!:shock: Holy international date change please!!!! Time is going so fast! I am more than half-way editing photos. Magazine guys are asking for images! I gotta'get crackin'! I'm answering emails from some of you and and trying to get it all done.

Can I buy an extra day to add into the 7-day week?:idea:

Dose anyone know what web site the axial photographers going to up load his pic onto ....

Last edited:
Is that you Rodney??

If so, can't wait to see those pics. You really got down 'n dirty to get 'em!

I will start posting images to our Flickr page for AWCC 2011:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/axialrc/sets/72157626931941136/

Then I will start having some blog post show up on the Axial Blog:
http://axialracing.com/wordpress/

It's Tuesday, two days after the aftermath of AWCC. I had to take Monday off and celebrate my daughters [postponed one day] 16th B-Day:cry: and my 18th wedding anniversary.:mrgreen:

So, it's Tuesday and I am starting to go through the bazillion images.... yea, i'm tired still, it's Tuesday!

Posted this:
http://axialracing.com/wordpress/2011/06/28/awcc-2011-winners/

So, this post never got posted on Tuesday... I seem to have left the window open and did not hit the "Submit button":lmao:

Wednesday we had a photo shoot to do..:roll: It was more laying in the dirt for the day. It hurt, but we came away with some awesome images and video. Don't ask.... just know that we are working hard over here!!!

Now it is Thursday!:shock: Holy international date change please!!!! Time is going so fast! I am more than half-way editing photos. Magazine guys are asking for images! I gotta'get crackin'! I'm answering emails from some of you and and trying to get it all done.

Can I buy an extra day to add into the 7-day week?:idea:

Thanks for all the hard work Rodney, I'm sure the pics are sick. We'll wait patiently..... for now..... :)

that extra day is pretty pricey but i'm sure we can add it into the mortgage!:lmao:

Thanks rodney and axial for all the work ya'll do!

B.C., Brad, and scott great to see ya'll again!

jeff it was good to see you again! thanks again for the help with rockcandyrcc and the victory junction gang this year !

Yep, this is me "GCRad1" everywhere the google search will take you...

Is that you Rodney??

Charlie / prusik333 / DwaneO /sococrawler,

I SHOT A LOT!!! I did not look until Sunday...
See, I use to shoot film back in the day and you would know how much you have... Same time you could not look to see how your shots would come out. With the "digi-film", I just take a couple of quick glances to see if lighting is close and fire away and it was like sixe events in three days! So I fired a lot. And I'm that guy that is not going to ask you how many shots you took. I don't care how much I shoot. I actually hate shooting a lot of images as it is just more I have to edit through. Plus, many of you do not even see the little pocket camera that is with me at all time as this camera is what I shoot with while traveling and or I will pull it out for that little quick detail shot.
SO, I shot 200+ images on my pocket camera
and 5,000+ images on the big dawg!
When a couple of guys where asking me on Sunday, I kinda'freeked out when I saw that number!

Monday I knocked 1,000+ images out of the pool.
Wednesday we where out of the office shooting again, but by Thursday night I got the batch down to 1,500+ images. From here we are doing some color correction and I have to send a couple of disk of these images off to the magazines next week. Then I will do the final edit. And from there it will be time to start posting. Oh, and I have not even messed with the 200+ travel-pocket-camera images, but they may be where I start...

I did get a couple of cool images...

I love all the photo threads everyone has going on!!!

Parker always says he is only as good as the people around him, this time those people were rewarded with a brand new AXIAL XR-10!!! Thank you AXIAL for the generosity, it means a lot to my son and I because we watch Parker do everything from pick up trash to sign autographs all in the pursuit of fun and that's why I tell my son "don't expect anything but drivers smiles!"

On a personal note, the XR-10 mean more to us than you'll ever know. For the last several months Cole and I haven't been able to comp due to finances but Parker's "fun first" philosophy and the great people keep us volunteering to judge and help at the G-6s!!!

Now that we will be able to comp again the smile on my sons face is priceless!!! "thumbsup"

And special thanks to Chef Brent because AXIAL provided 3 meals a day for judges and crew!!! The food was phenomenal, From fresh lake trout to apple wood smoked bacon and the best key lime pie cupcakes and brownies I've ever wrapped a lip around!!!

I will be more than happy to donate two custom paint jobs for your XR10's you and Cole totally deserve it! "thumbsup""thumbsup" You two are the most dedicated VOLUNTEERS I have ever seen... Thank you both!

Thom K

For those of you jonesing for some more 2007, opps, my BAD, 2011 Axial West Coast Championship coverage...

CHECK THIS OUT...

http://www.rccaraction.com/blog/2011/06/30/axial-west-coast-championships-videos/

Some of you may be stars!!!!!!!!

Broken nib, I'm starting your G6 fan club and I'm not only the President, but your number 1 fan! :shock: "thumbsup" :shock:

Good stuff!!

Now if I can only take my XR back to 2007 and show the drivers from yester-year what's up... :twisted:

2011 Axial SCX-10 G6 Challenge recap

The Axial West Coast Championships is the only manufacturer backed r/c rock crawling series that has drivers qualify for the championships through various qualifiers throughout the west. In addition to be being the premiere r/c rock crawling event in the West, the AWCC has hosted a scale event for scale r/c enthusiasts known as the Axial SCX-10 Scale Challenge.

In 2010, the Axial SCX-10 Scale Challenge featured three skills sections; a mud pit, a frame twister, and a tank pull. Then drivers faced three courses that tested drivers’ knowledge and driving skills in sand, snow, rock, and water. This was the first time that I had ever hosted a scale event and I had never had so much fun watching an r/c driver “do work”.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
Since that historic moment in my r/c life, RECON Crawlers unleashed a new r/c scale genre onto the r/c scene; the RECON G6 Challenge. The RECON G6 Challenge is a mixture of rally, European truck trials, and the infamous Camel Trophy. The G6 is a test of the scale driver’s ability and his/her scalers capability. The G6 Stages can be anywhere from 50 trail markers to 200 trail markers long and riddled with special skill sections. Take the Axial SCX-10 Scale Challenge and add the RECON G6 to the mix and what we have is more explosive than moonshine.
<o:p> </o:p>
The 2011 Axial SCX-10 G6 Challenge started on Friday with stage 1, a 140 trail marker stage that had drivers navigating over logs, rocks, through snow canyons, and traversing a G6 staple, leaf springs. 66 drivers tested their G-rides, scalers, in a very demanding stage 1 which had some drivers coming in with their lights on.
Saturday’s stage 2 was a true night stage. Start time was 10pm and drivers were prepared with all kinds of lights. Mike Pham, a G6 veteran, out shined the field with just over 1000 lumens. Mike ran a heat sink on his LEDS to keep them going for the duration of stage 2. Another driver pushing serious lumens was last years AWCC Champ, John Ripplinger. He had just over 1200 lumens, but was only able to alternate between the two due to heat issues. Not that it mattered; one LED was like a <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Hollywood</st1:place> stage spotlight. The cool thing about scalers is that they are a reflection of the driver. I saw light bars, rock lights, multi-colored lights and some of the coolest ingenuity for mounting and powering lights that was brilliant! (Pun intended).
Sunday morning brought about a first for the G6, the G6 Top Truck Stage or G6 TT Stage for short. There were 4 distinct skills test that comprised the G6 TT stages. First the mud pit. This year’s mud pit had two turns in it, a sippy hole that swallowed Jeremy Toney’s G-ride, and several undulations that kept drivers searching for the right line.
Next up was the frame twister. This G-ride tormenting stage started with rocks and mud built to twist up drivers G-ride and it finished with slap wheelies over several logs.
After the mud pit and the frame twister, driver’s hooked up to the pull sled. The pull sled was donated to RECON by Jake’s Performance Hobbies and presented to the RECON G6 Crew by Tim Terry. Thank you, it is going to become a G6 staple. The sled turned out to be a formidable foe. Several drivers came close to a full pull, but to no prevail.
The G6 TT Stages were highly spectatable and really tested a driver’s skill and the durability of their G-ride, but before drivers dove into the G6 TT Stages, they lined up for the third and final stage of the Axial SCX-10 G6 Challenge, “Erzberg”. Erzberg featured several obstacles that tested a driver’s lack of knowledge. Driving over a 42 inch Michelin tire and jumping a ski jump into some leaf springs and over a 3 in chain. After all this enter a tube and exit into a mud pit. There was a snow section with a huge luge slide to flat and the most unique obstacle was a rail road bridge. Yes, a scale railroad bridge that Martin Febanske, aka fvrr, was kind enough to let us borrow and modify to give drivers a helluva ride. Martin is another G6 veteran that lives the G6 lifestyle. He is very precise driver that keeps a clean G-ride, no matter how much mud he encounters on a stage. Thank you Martin for everything you do for the G6 Crew.
The Axial SCX-10 G6 Challenge was being covered by the big 3 r/c magazines; RC Driver, RC Car Action, and Xtreme RC. This in itself is exciting and a testament to the G6’s popularity, but to fully understand what the G6 is, one must participate and that is exactly what the magazines did. Greg Vogel, Senior Executive Editor, drove the first ever van in the G6. Greg piloted his Ford Areostar van and during stage 2, the van found wood out on the stage and was able to sport that wood all the way to the finish line. Nothing could stop Greg and his van from crossing the finish line. Tony Phalen, West Coast Editor, drove his scx-10 based Jeep JK with custom tire cover, like a G6 veteran.
RC Car Action’s Editor-in-Chief, Matt Higgins drove a stock Axial RTR Honcho in the SCX-10 G6 and finished. Matt’s skill behind the controller was very impressive and I believe by the smile on his face, the G6 is in his blood now. Also driving in his first G6 stage was free lance writer extraordinaire, Scott G. Scott G emerged himself deep into the lifestyle of the G6 and as a true testament to the G6 being a family event, his son Jake, participated as well. Both Father and Son tested their skills and their scalers ability in the G6 and afterwards, the smile on their faces were priceless.
Xtreme RC was represented by Matt Soileau and Mike Morris, both are G6 veterans and they are no stranger to the addiction. Matt has even found himself under the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Truckee</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">River</st1:placeType></st1:place> and knows that there is no “Hand of God” or in G6 terms; HOGing your G-ride, drove out of it and continued on stage. Mike has an uber clean Subaru Honcho that performs as well as it looks.
Axial Racing is a manufacturer that drives what they sell. The whole Axial Crew drove either Honchos, Dingos, or the new Axial Wraith in the SCX-10 G6 Challenge. Their dedication and commitment to bringing their customers the best product in the industry comes from first hand knowledge that is gained from events like the AWCC.
I have to thank all the G6 competitors for 3 days of great stages, unbelievable driving, and the best SCX-10 G6 Challenge to date. A huge round of applause for our top drivers and especially Axial Team driver Thom Kowatch for his first place and winning the Oliver Knifes official G6 SK knife. Thank you to all the sponsors and fans.
Remember, when you need your scaler fix, come get it in a RECON G6!
I’m Parker and I’m out.

Last edited:
I will be more than happy to donate two custom paint jobs for your XR10's you and Cole totally deserve it! "thumbsup""thumbsup" You two are the most dedicated VOLUNTEERS I have ever seen... Thank you both!

Thom K

Thom, thanks that's awsome!!! I will let ya know when they arrive!"thumbsup"

Back