• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

2009 Chevy Silverado IFS Ext Cab Short Bed

No updates in 9 months... Did you have a baby?

What a weird thing to say... no, no babies... just have other projects that I was spending time on. Still haven't done much since the body needs some work to look right. I have considered sending it off to one of the custom builders here to get finished, but it hasn't been in the budget yet to do so.

Sweet build so far!

Thanks! I do want to get this finished, and it's not too far off. One other thing I needed to figure out was the rear shocks. Initially I was using touring car shocks mounted directly to the frame, but now I am thinking a cantilever set-up will work better. Still need to test and tune it, but I have a design for that going.

I had considered selling it, but it's worth more done than it is the way it sits, and I don't want to let it go just yet.

Stay tuned! I might have an update before the end of the year.

Awesome build, and some even better info here! Any chance you'd share the HPI part number for a pinion shaft that will work with the HPI HD gears and Axial drive shafts? BTW, if you do happen to have problems with the outdrives sliding out of the spool/locker it can be remedied with an o-ring or two dropped into the dogbone cups. Try to use the same number of o-rings in the inner and outers and it will keep the outdrives in, as well as keeping the dog bones centered in the cups. Keeps chewed up dogbones/cups to a minimum. Pretty much a required mod on CC01s with lifts/increased droop to keep the shafts from binding, and the outdrives from falling out.

Awesome build, and some even better info here! Any chance you'd share the HPI part number for a pinion shaft that will work with the HPI HD gears and Axial drive shafts?

82020 - Input Shaft 5x28mm - works with Axial and other standard 5mm driveshafts
86810 - Gear Shaft 5x6x29mm - works with HPI, Traxxas and other 6mm driveshafts

What is nice about these is that they have a through-hole so you can use a pin rather than the old double set screw style.

BTW, if you do happen to have problems with the outdrives sliding out of the spool/locker it can be remedied with an o-ring or two dropped into the dogbone cups. Try to use the same number of o-rings in the inner and outers and it will keep the outdrives in, as well as keeping the dog bones centered in the cups. Keeps chewed up dogbones/cups to a minimum. Pretty much a required mod on CC01s with lifts/increased droop to keep the shafts from binding, and the outdrives from falling out.

I use a very short section of fuel tubing in each cup. Seems to be more compliant and easier to get in the diff cups. Plus you can get exactly the length you want rather than relying on the width of the o-rings. (I've found in some set-ups that two o-rings was too much, and one was not enough...)

Just saw this build, very creative. Great idea with the ABS cement. Talented builder....will follow this.

Thanks!
I've been messing with ABS cement for a while. Here's a build thread from when I built a Car Computer for one of my previous vehicles. The ABS cement allowed me to mold in the touch screen bezel to the stock vehicle dash bezel.
Apparently I did such a good job that I was recognized as one of the "Best of Dash Fabrication" installs.

check it here (Finished installed pics on post 49 in the thread)

for those that don't want to click the link above:

Before (stock)
502722957_9fc868450a.jpg

After:
S5000971.jpg

Last edited:
So, to make sure I'm understanding correctly, if I use #86329 in the front and #86336 in the rear, I will need to shave the back side of the front ring gear, and use #82020 pinion shaft in the front? The HD WK/rear gear set looks like it includes a pinion shaft that is integral with the pinion similar to an Axial HD gear set, meaning I wouldn't need an additional shaft for the rear. Sorry for the million questions, and thanks a ton for the info!

So, to make sure I'm understanding correctly, if I use #86329 in the front and #86336 in the rear, I will need to shave the back side of the front ring gear, and use #82020 pinion shaft in the front? The HD WK/rear gear set looks like it includes a pinion shaft that is integral with the pinion similar to an Axial HD gear set, meaning I wouldn't need an additional shaft for the rear. Sorry for the million questions, and thanks a ton for the info!

You only need to shave the 86329 gear if you use it in the Axial axle housing, if you use the RS4 housing, no modification is needed (since that's what the gear was made to fit.) The 82020 shaft allows you to use a 5mm driveshaft (like what comes with the SCX10, etc).
I don't remember what the 86336 gears look like on the back side, but I don't think they would need modification, but I would actually recommend the AX30395 Gears instead. Same ratio, but made for the Axial housing, and I think you can find them for less than the HPI Set.

The front gears listed above (86329) are 36/14, and the rears (AX30395) are 38/13, so you will have some overdrive with that set up.
If you don't want the overdrive, you can get the AX30401 Gears which are also 36/14.

I'd love to see some more IFS SCX/RS4 rigs out there, so if you end up making one, I'd love to see it.

Lol, as much as I love the IFS rig, it's not for me. Just looking for cheap OD/standard/UD gear options for SCX10 axles. To tell you the truth, I don't much care for the Axial HD gears and their bevel cut. Bevel cut gears have a coast and drive side, and Axial has them setup to drive on the coast side in the AX/SCX10 housings. Honestly, other than the fact that these trucks are so low speed and oversized compared to a 1:1, I can't see how more gears don't end up destroyed than do.

sell me that body lol im building the same truck and having a hard time finding the bodys

ps nice work

Back