• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

1947 Unimog 401

Spent the last 6 months or so building a 2004 Ford Bronco Concept (it's not finished yet). I mentioned on a local board that I intend bringing it to the nationals and it was subtly suggested not to use it as a comp rig - apparently they tend to get banged up (I'm new to this hobby so have virtually zero driving experience, and absolutely zero comp experience).

fullbody33.jpg

I recently bought a China JK body, and at first planned to put a GCM Skeleton chassis under it, but decided against that because I've thrown enough cash into this and should probably dial it back a little.

And so I decided to do a quick-and-dirty beater body for the SWB (278mm wheelbase) Ascender chassis I have under the Bronco. Best idea I came up with was the first production Unimog, before being bought out by Daimler Benz.

reference01.jpg

In keeping with quick-and-dirty, I spent this afternoon cutting out some body panels...

panels01.jpg

...and assembling them.

cab01.jpg

The truck will be Olive Drab, with RC4WD Mud Bashers on red wheels (GMade NR01s), and be designed to take a beating. The idea is for it to be easy to build, easy to repair, and still retaining an element of uniqueness.

Last edited:
Great start on the Mog, always liked the early Unimog stuff, awesome looking choice. "thumbsup" Saw one in person on the Rubicon a couple years ago in stock form, super cool rig for sure.

As for your Bronco, it will definitely get some rash but if you drive carefully and winch when needed, you can minimize the damage. In C1 which is the most scale class, the courses are usually easy enough to keep the rubber where it needs to be.

you should have some one make a mould of the body to make it in lexan it looks brilliant"thumbsup"

Not sure what it takes to create a new mould, but imagine it's not easy.

Great start on the Mog, always liked the early Unimog stuff, awesome looking choice. "thumbsup" Saw one in person on the Rubicon a couple years ago in stock form, super cool rig for sure.

Thanks ;-) Also a fan. In the early 70's we lived next to a farm in Germany. The farmer was a grumpy old dude and we were terrified of him, but he had an old 401 that he would take us along in when he ploughed fields in the autumn.

As for your Bronco, it will definitely get some rash but if you drive carefully and winch when needed, you can minimize the damage. In C1 which is the most scale class, the courses are usually easy enough to keep the rubber where it needs to be.

That's what I thought. Apparently though in the UK C1 and C2 ride the self same course, so C2 rigs actually have it a little easier. That Bronco has 6 months of sweat in it so while I'm ok with some rash I don't want to be picking up pieces :shock:

Got the wheel wells cut out, and tested the cab for size. I think is comes in at a little closer to 1:9 but it will do. That's about 4 hours in so far.

cab02.jpg

Last edited:
Got a couple hours in on this tonight. Finished the grill, and did the hood surround (hood will open and shut because the ESC and light switches will be in there). It's not my greatest work - this thing really will be a quick and dirty beater.

grill01.jpg

Bronco is brilliant, if this is quick and dirty, it's just a much fun to watch come to life. Got some made skills there sir!

After seeing you to master out the Bronco Concept, I'm sure that this build will be pure quality! Nice to see a older Mog build, too! "thumbsup"

Got the windscreen put in, so think the truck is about 50% there.

fullbody03.jpg

This is how I'll drive it. Lowers the centre of gravity (doubt it'll be noticeable, but I like to kid myself), and keep it from breaking off.

fullbody04.jpg

Tyres arrived today, wheels hopefully soon too. Then the bed at the back, some paint, and a couple seats + dashboard. Oh, and lights.

Last edited:
Got some paint on. You'll notice the hole on the front fender is now covered by a vented disk. That's the air intake. I'd originally planned to make a snorkel to fill that hole, but the point of the truck is something I don't mind destroying, so no to the snorkel!

fullbody05.jpg

It's going to get a bed, a basic interior, lights and a winch. And I need to re-seat that back tyre.

Back