• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

1/6 FMS '41 Willy's MB Jeep frame

TacoCrawler

I wanna be Dave
The original Willy's MB was not not a linked suspension.
It was a leaf spring suspension.
The chassis frame is obviously different in design currently too..

The Mashigan Jeep and Jimny utilize the same frame rails that I see.
Where as the 1/6 '41 Willy's MB has a totally new frame (narrower on the ends of the frame rails)
I purchased the Mashigan leaf springs / plastic undertray hangers and thought maybe they could work for the Willy's MB.
But it isn't going to work too well on the MB's frame.
The plastic hanger belly supports are too wide.
Maybe the hangers could be cut off and utilized, But there are no holes drilled in the frame rails to support them per say.

I need someone with an original leaf spring suspension on their1/6 '41 MB to take pictures of their frame rails so I can see what's different ?

That or locate me a leaf spring conversion kit for this newer chassis design.
That or I'm going to have to give up on this notion.
I've wasted too much coin on this POS anyways.

The newly designed MB frame is narrower front and rear with a twist in the frame rails around midway front/rear.

The Mashigan and Jimny leaf springs would be close though it definitely will not be a straight forward bolt on modification that I see.

I only bought this POS because I was under the impression it had a leaf spring suspension already. Other wise I would have purchased the Jimny instead.
This Willy's MB has been nothing but a headache for me since I purchased it !

First it ran hay wire into a wall and broke the cheap/brittle servo horn.

Then while trying to install some under belly/axle skids a screw has to be removed/replaced with theirs for the install
and then it stripped out the hex head screwed into plastic threads ? :shock:

Then I needed to remove the wheel's hubs and found out 3 screws (on one wheel) were basically stripped or had no threads at all.

I haven't even run this POS. Unless you call it driving it straight into the wall, driving it ? :roll:

If there were a lemon law for this POS you'd come up smelling sour ! :lmao:

Last edited:
The original Willy's MB was not not a linked suspension.
It was a leaf spring suspension.
The chassis frame is obviously different in design currently too..

The Mashigan Jeep and Jimny utilize the same frame rails that I see.
Where as the 1/6 '41 Willy's MB has a totally new frame (narrower on the ends of the frame rails)
I purchased the Mashigan leaf springs / plastic undertray hangers and thought maybe they could work for the Willy's MB.
But it isn't going to work too well on the MB's frame.
The plastic hanger belly supports are too wide.
Maybe the hangers could be cut off and utilized, But there are no holes drilled in the frame rails to support them per say.

I need someone with an original leaf spring suspension on their1/6 '41 MB to take pictures of their frame rails so I can see what's different ?

That or locate me a leaf spring conversion kit for this newer chassis design.
That or I'm going to have to give up on this notion.
I've wasted too much coin on this POS anyways.

The newly designed MB frame is narrower front and rear with a twist in the frame rails around midway front/rear.

The Mashigan and Jimny leaf springs would be close though it definitely will not be a straight forward bolt on modification that I see.

I only bought this POS because I was under the impression it had a leaf spring suspension already. Other wise I would have purchased the Jimny instead.
This Willy's MB has been nothing but a headache for me since I purchased it !

First it ran hay wire into a wall and broke the cheap/brittle servo horn.

Then while trying to install some under belly/axle skids a screw has to be removed/replaced with theirs for the install
and then it stripped out the hex head screwed into plastic threads ? :shock:

Then I needed to remove the wheel's hubs and found out 3 screws (on one wheel) were basically stripped or had no threads at all.

I haven't even run this POS. Unless you call it driving it straight into the wall, driving it ? :roll:

If there were a lemon law for this POS you'd come up smelling sour ! :lmao:
Can you get us some pics of what you have going
And do you know how far in the pinch on the frame pinches in

Most of the pictures I see of this rig were on leafs I don't understand why they changed it

I did see a fms leaf sprung chassis on eBay but it was expensive

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eeCoYDtdGHVetjRM9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/o388XjJ6HiyvFHBd9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4AzfxT3CrvCQ4gEN7

At the center it's the widest point 3 1/2 inches
and then it narrows on both ends to nearly 2 1/2 inches.

But as it narrows it has a weird twist in the frame rails too ? (at both rails and both ends of the frame)

I've no idea if these pictures show that twist in the frame rails ?

Expensive or not if it fits I might need that.
But it would be cool if I could see it ?
Maybe A link on that ebay sale ?

I could maybe search it on ebay but I don't know the title name used ?
I looked on ebay for it but all I found were Axial SCX frames :roll:

girder = frame rail ? Found some but I've no Idea as to what I see and the description is vague at best.
They look like the ones that fit the Jimny or Mashigan.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2958558700...UxIRFC8qH2t8M3tc/aJNDgGhee|tkp:Bk9SR9Ss-6_aYg

Back at step 0

Last edited:
That frame I saw on eBay is gone already
Axial frames narrow as well so that's not really a game ender
My nylint uses 2 scx10 frames cut and welded together with a wraith skid and ryft axles on leaf springs

Can you check to see were the leafs land on the frame rails

That frame I saw on eBay is gone already
Axial frames narrow as well so that's not really a game ender
My nylint uses 2 scx10 frames cut and welded together with a wraith skid and ryft axles on leaf springs

Can you check to see were the leafs land on the frame rails

I don't have any Axial frame with leaf springs anyway.

For my Wraiths frame build I had a welder. I no longer have that.
So it needs be a bolt on design.
But the frame I built was fairly rectangular in shape.
And leaf springs could be easily fitted I believe.

The 6" leaf springs (eyes) reach from the elbow bend to within a 1/2" near the end of the frame (girder).
but the width difference is nearly an inch from the frame rail's (girder) bend
to the end of the frame (girder).
So it's likely that frame won't work as the LF spring would be angled extremely.
Heck I don't even know if a wider or narrower frame could be fitted to this MB body !?
I'll assume the original LF sprung frame was likely straighter and not as wide in the middle section as it is now ?
But honestly I have no visual of that original frame to compare to.

Last edited:
The standard leaf spring brackets have a bilt in off set so one end hangers off the outside of the frame rails

From what you send there would only be a 1/2" difference from the skid to the pinch so the off set of the hangers should be enuff of a off set to make up for the narrow section

eh I dunno I'm ready to throw in the towel on this pipe dream.

In fact I can't even order a lousy link rod to 4 link the front suspension on this thing ?
Poor communication or translation seems to be of issue.
And I'm nearly done throwing my money away on these RC pipe dreams.

I think I'll just stick with my SCX6 and forget about the other RC cars I have already.
And I have another one being shipped to me right now !
A 1/24 scale FMS crawler "Stranger Things / K5 Blazer - Hawkins rig) I won on a Fair RC youtube live feed,
will likely just collect dust as well once it arrives. (if I even open the box !?)

I'm tempted to though,
because I'll be spending most of time indoors soon. And my SCX6 behemoth is just too big for indoor activity :cry:

I will need to stop pissing away my money on my RC fantasies. :twisted:
After all I should only invest my money in my SCX6, if it needs it ;-)

Here's a pic the the mounting bracket I'm talking about these brackets move the spring almost a half inch

Then you have these swing shackles that simplify things a bit

Last edited:
Here's a pic the the mounting bracket I'm talking about these brackets move the spring almost a half inch
Might be enough but I won't know until I attempt that !?
Until I put more effort and likely money into this attempt.
Probably not worth it ! But thanks for the sharing/photos.

As it stands I will have to spend even more $ just to get this functional as is.
And then it will likely just break again :|

I'm likely just going to assign this as a shelf queen and call it a costly mistake - project :oops:

Waiting and purchasing replacement parts from China is nuts !
Sure it can be done. But what you get might not be what you thought you purchased :???:

These (FMS, rokhobby, etc) 1/6 Willys never had leaf springs, ever. Youre thinking of the 1/12 one. That, or the GiJoe/Hasbro converted ones in 1/6.

Last edited:
These (FMS, rokhobby, etc) 1/6 Willys never had leaf springs, ever. Youre thinking of the 1/12 one. That, or the GiJoe/Hasbro converted ones in 1/6.
they probably used some pics from the 1/12 scale on the listings for the 1/6 that would explain why some pics have leafs and some don't

cause half the pics had leafs
i just looked again all the listings have been changed so I can't say for sure if I really did see leafs under it

Back