• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

You kids have it made!

Green Machines! Heck yeah!

All the boys wanted a Green Machine and the girls wanted a Sit 'n Spin...go figure. :lol:

I was at Toys R Us a few months ago, they're selling updated versions of the Green Machine.

Here's another sign of how things have changed...we got our asses paddled at school. :lol:

Funny thing is that I never worried about getting paddled, but remember being curious why the new Principal had holes in his paddle. I soon found out. :shock: :lol:

He actually had "Attitude Adjuster" written on it. :lol:

Guess it's better than "Board of Education"

I remember many near death experiences while at the controls of the infamous Green Machine. They were so touchy. We'd race 'em down this steep driveway and before you knew it, you were backwards in the ditch.

The paddle comment reminds me of those Paddle-with-a-rubberband-and-ball things. To this day, I'm afraid of them. Probably because after the rubberband broke, my dear mother would keep the wooden paddle and stash it in the kitchen. And sometimes she'd forget to remove the damn staple that held the rubberband to the paddle. That thing stung. And it was loud... "WHACK!"

a bike had one gear unless you owned a 10 speed.
No padding and was made of steel, you had to be tough or
die trying. We should remove all that safety gear
and go back to like when we was kids, only the strong
survive and all that, lol.

I remember a few beatings at school and at home.
People call social services or the cops if you spank your kid
now days. My brother actually told a lady to mind her own
fawkin business or she was next, lol.

The green machines I had as a kid had a regular steering wheel, and a hand brake on the rear, to make it slide around, that new one looks like it would be hell to drive.

My cousin and I are a week apart so our parents would have combined b-day parties. Anyway he got the green machine and I got a similar one called the Knight rider or Black knight something to that effect. Only difference was mine was Black and dark purple and his was that ugly green. Anyone try putting a normal tire on the front after the plastic one lost its center? 10X's faster and would grip like there was no tomorrow, only bad thing is when you did a slideout you would rip your hand off because the front tire wouldn't slide with it.

OH the memories.

And everyone talking about old school legos. I had Lincoln logs. It made a great place to park my stomper and make trails for it. Nothing like having a log cabin shop to park the truck in!

A bike didn't NECESSARILY have just one gear...one of my favorite bikes was a Schwinn Stingray Fastback with a 5-speed gear selector on the top bar. I'm sure a couple of you have rolled with one of these before...gear shift, metalflake paint, hot as hell on a summer day metalflake banana seat, biggie in the rear, little one in the front. Best part about mine was that my folks and I were at Walmart when I was about 6 looking at bikes. A really nice old man came up and said that if I wanted a bike, he had a couple in his barn from his kids that had grown up and moved on. We went there and there it was...a cherry metalflake green Stingray. Damn that thing was cool!!

ah the 80's

garbage pail kids, He-man, hot wheels, daisy duke, big wheels, the goonies (can you do the Truffle Shuffle?), the muppets, after school specials, ask any kid now what's a smurf?, G.I. Joe (knowing is half the battle), screw power rangers.. Voltron rocked, sit-n-spins, rotory phones, ask any kid now if they know what UHF is. rabbit ears. Hell I know kids that have NEVER owned one cassette tape, let alone seen a record.

where where you when Challenger blew.

This is really weird to read, it's like all these lost memories came back!

My son saw a few of my records (yes I still have records, why I don't know because I haven't owned a record player in 15 years at least!) and asked me why my "CD's" were so big and and how come they were black instead of silver!:lol: I didn't even try to explain it to him!:lol: Remember 8 tracks or reel to reel?:shock: My Dad had a really cool reel to reel system when I was a Kid!:lol:

EeePee said:
This is really weird to read, it's like all these lost memories came back!

I hear ya! You guys are bringing back lots of memories!

Did anyone honestly solve their Rubik's Cube?

I remember staying up all night to record a favorite new song with my Sony am/fm cassette radio.

River Raid was my favorite Atari game.

Jokey Smurf was the coolest.

Dad agreed to pay half of the price of a new bike if I'd save my money to pay the other half. I saved my allowance and did chores for neighbors for TWO YEARS to buy a orange and white Scwinn Freeform Z.

Dad wasn't mistreating me by making me work, he was teaching me a lesson in economics and life. I was grateful then and still today. Find a kid today with that amount of initiative and patience.

Oh, I think I was in 6th grade English class when the Space Shuttle blew up.

Science class, we were watching the launch in class, I can still see the face on my teacher as she turned to look at the class.

I remember when going to Mcd's was a treat for being good all week. I got all the muppet glasses.

as for the cube, yup I did and that little sob sits on my monitor at work like a trophy to :)

Last edited:
CSR said:
Oh, I think I was in 6th grade English class when the Space Shuttle blew up.
Which one?

I was at home sick watching the Challenger disaster live back in '86 (I believe I was in 6th grade also).

I don't believe I heard of the Columbia disaster until watching the news that evening.

Who remembers Coca-Cola clothing?

Robb said:
Which one?

I was at home sick watching the Challenger disaster live back in '86 (I believe I was in 6th grade also).

Who remembers Coca-Cola clothing?

The first one, Challenger. That's was January '86, I may have been in 7th grade. :?

I had a couple of those Coca-Cola shirts. :lol:

I guess there have been 5 things in my life to this point that I will never forget.

1. The Challenger disaster.
2. 9-11.
3. Birth of my son.
4. Death of my Dad.
5. Getting married.

I'm sure there will be many other things added to the list (good and bad) in the future.

dezfan said:
I guess there have been 5 things in my life to this point that I will never forget.

1. The Challenger disaster.
2. 9-11.
3. Birth of my son.
4. Death of my Dad.
5. Getting married.
My list is close, kinda.
1. Death of my son
2. Birth of my son
3. Death of my father.
4. Getting married.
5. Loss of my virginity.

Robb said: