• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Yeti xl. Getting kit soon. Any help please

Mikael

Rock Stacker
So I am planning on getting the xl kit soon is there anything that I should uograde once I get it? What are some weaknesses I could upgrade. Since it's such a heavy car when it lands of bigs jumps does it break easily? How easy is it to work on?

If I get it these are the supplies I'm gonna get. Anything I'm missing? And any good lipos for pretty cheap but have over 7000 mah?

SERVO
Savox SC-1258TG Standard Digital "High Speed" Titanium Gear Servo [SAV-SC-1258TG] | RC Cars - AMain.com - AMain.com
or
TowerHobbies.com | Futaba S3305 High-Torque Standard Servo w/Metal Gears

RADIO
TowerHobbies.com | Axial AX-3 2-Channel 2.4GHz Radio System
Or
Spektrum DX2E 2-Channel DSMR Surface Radio w/SR201 Receiver [SPM2322] | RC Cars - AMain.com - AMain.com

CAR
TowerHobbies.com | Axial 1/8 Yeti XL 4WD Kit

MOTOR & ESC
TowerHobbies.com | Castle Creations 1/8 Mamba Monster 2/Neu-Castle 2200kV

or on ebay for vanguard

BATTERIES
Turnigy 5200mAh 2S 30C Hard-Case Car Lipo Pack (ROAR APPROVED)

Your going to need a better/stronger servo. Lower oz-in servos will fail after a while and your steering radius will stink also. Look for a minimum of 400oz-in. There are a good few servo threads right here for you to read through for some good servo part #s.

I would read through the battery threads too. You want to make sure you get batteries that ""Fit"". I have two Venom 5000mah 50c soft packs. They fit but I couldn't fit anything wider!!

And is there a cheaper motor esc combo that will still work? Because just the kit and the motor is $800

Go on eBay and grab a new take off Yeti XL RTR motor and ESC combo. It's more than enough for the RC.
That servo should be good...just make sure it fits.

Check out the Hobbywing quick run 1/8 combo in ebay. You can get it for $150 and it is a better esc than the RTR.
The RTR esc has a weak internal BEC which forces you to use an external BEC to get decent servo power. I run my quick run 150 w/out an external BEC with great results because it puts out 6v @3a. I am running a savox sc1230sg which puts out 500oz toque at 6v. It is a tall servo though and required some rigging to make it fit.

Check out this motor esc combo: TowerHobbies.com | Castle Creations 1/8 Sidewinder 8th ESC + 2200kV Motor This is what the RTR Yeti XL uses and is plenty of moster for the kit! Basically the same as you picked for a lot cheaper (has a couple less features but I doubt you'll miss it).

The big savox servo is a better choice but SAVOX is known to draw HUGE power from your electronics - check out HITEC (perhaps the 7950, 8380, 8385) Either way, you're going to need a castle creations BEC to drive the servo correctly. (Any servo over 200 oz requires an external BEC due to the amperage they draw. This will pull more than the ESC can provide.)

I would recommend the Spektrum DX2E over the Axial radio

Double check the dimensions on the batteries you have chosen. I think you will find they are a little wider than the battery compartment Axial posted on their site. Also, purchase as much "C rating" on your batteries as you can afford. This will ensure maximum effeciency of your motor and ESC and reduce strain/potential failure.

Last edited:
Check out this motor esc combo: TowerHobbies.com | Castle Creations 1/8 Sidewinder 8th ESC + 2200kV Motor This is what the RTR Yeti XL uses and is plenty of moster for the kit! Basically the same as you picked for a lot cheaper (has a couple less features but I doubt you'll miss it).

The big savox servo is a better choice but SAVOX is known to draw HUGE power from your electronics - check out HITEC (perhaps the 7950, 8380, 8385) Either way, you're going to need a castle creations BEC to drive the servo correctly. (Any servo over 200 oz requires an external BEC due to the amperage they draw. This will pull more than the ESC can provide.)

I would recommend the Spektrum DX2E over the Axial radio

Double check the dimensions on the batteries you have chosen. I think you will find they are a little wider than the battery compartment Axial posted on their site. Also, purchase as much "C rating" on your batteries as you can afford. This will ensure maximum effeciency of your motor and ESC and reduce strain/potential failure.

I liked that motor esc combo but it says for cars under 11 pounds the yeti xl is 14

The sidewinder 8 esc is the same as the RTR. You will need to get a Mamba Monster 2 if you are set on Castle. If you want to stay cheap the hobbywing quicrun 150 or xerun 150 will do the trick. They are both 150a. The mamba monster 2 is rated at 120a.

I'm a bit new to rc is the lower a better so the 120 a will be better than a 150a

No, the higher the amp rating the more the esc can handle. Technically.
The value of a castle is the quality and customer support. The mamba monster is a great choice if you have the cash. 120a is a very capable esc. As far as the sidewinder 8 no specs have been posted. Since it is sold as a budget esc for rc's under 11lbs then I would assume it is way lower than 120a.

The hobbywings are rated at 150a and work very well if you are on a budget. I have heard that hobbywing customer support is very lacking however if there are problems.

Hpi uses the rebranded mamba monster 2 in the savage hp flux.
Thunder Tiger used the rebranded xerun150 in the mt4 G3
Both of these are monster trucks capable of 6s.

I own mamba monster 2, xerun 150, and quicrun 150. All three have been great. Ive had the mamba monster 2 for two years, the xerun for one year, and the quicrun for 2 months.

I have the sidewinder 8 in two truggy's that my 6yo son puts through hell, they have held up great over the past few months, I do admit I went with them due to the warranty and customer satisfaction. My first attempt at getting back into rc was with a 8ight 2.0 buggy that I converted to brushless, within a few minutes of running it , at the hobby store I handed it to the guy that had been helping me out and he tapped on the throttle a few times and BAM, fireball... WTF, anyway castle sent me another out after a few conversations and all has been well.

I would like to try one of the Hobbywing set ups but I am not sure which to pull the trigger on, I just installed an Xpert WR-7701-HV Mega Torque (485.80 Oz) and it is a huge improvement, hard to tell how much as I changed out all of the steering linkage except for the rods, I left them stock instead of going with turnbuckles. Keep in mind my 6yo son drives it and though he is actually pretty good at driving and throttle control he is like the rest of us "big air & big air crashes are pretty cool", so I felt the plastic turnbuckles leave some "give & shock absorbing properties" instead of it hitting the servo with the impact.

Like I said I am new, back to the hobby since August, my last stint at all this was when I was a kid and the original Grasshopper just came out so I am trying to learn as quickly as possible so I need to look more into this "BEC" set up. I can understand that the ESC can drop the power to the correct voltage and I have read many threads about them but the statement above was always left out of the discussion. I can see where the limited processing from the ESC to have enough to supply the "current" needed to support the servo correctly. I never put two and two together for some reason as I ignorantly assumed that these servos could not draw "too" much power but I am starting to see I should not have taken this so lightly, which is sad as I used to be a master car audio guy back I the day doing motorization in trunks and alarms before they had alarm brains and the new fancy stuff of today. In other words, fail on my part... LOL

I will say that I do not see where these guys want larger motors and ESC's, maybe efficiency, but it mostly seems like they want insane amounts of power, to me it is enough on 14 volts, 22 volts must be insane and I can see where the parts would start breaking rather quickly, I stay amazed at what my son and I have put this thing through and it has held up so well, the 1/10 yeti that we have is NOWHERE near as durable and hardy which is thoroughly irritating as it has become a money pit that I always have to drive as my son has taken over the XL, another reason that the XL kit is on order....

One more thing I would like to know is if anyone has installed a BEC on the OEM servo set up to see if there is a difference, I ask as this could be a budget servo for many of the KIT guys until they can afford a better servo. Ours went out "smoking" so I wonder if it could have been starved for the "draw" that it needed....

I will add that whatever you guys do don't cheap out like I did when replacing the servo and leave the OEM arm, it only lasted about 5 minutes on the new servo.... Actually it wasn't cheap it was more lazy.....

I'm waiting for my XL kit from tower as well. So instead of creating another similar thread I'm gonna piggyback this and not apologize if I hijack as I am looking for similar answers. Lol. I don't think $ will be to much of a issue as I have another vintage bike sale in progress to a friend. So I'm doing the same. Lining parts up to order. I have a offer in on a stock rtr motor on eBay, waiting to hear back.

Best option for bashing/some trail and rock crawling = stock motor/ controller? Or stock motor/Momba controller?

Actual part quality of the mamba vs a hobbywing 150 ( is this what your speaking of Hobbywing EZRUN 150A Pro Brushless ESC Speed Controller for 1 5 1 8 RC Car Truck | eBay or this Hobbywing Quicrun WP 8BL150 Waterproof 150A Brushless ESC for 1 8 RC Car Buggy | eBay ?).

I want water tight/resistant like the rtr, and performance. I will be running 6s - go big or go home ( ie go big/break parts/and go home. Lol)

Edit- I will say I'd rather do it right and do it once.

Is a HPI Savage Flux a viable motor? From what I read it's a 1/10? But I think the motor specs sound right unless I'm missing something, which being a newb to brushles I could be on the completely wrong bus and not know.

Free SHIP HPI Savage Flux HP Tork 2200KV Hobbywing Quicrun WP 8BL150 ESC | eBay nice price but what may be lacking?

I will tell you the HPI Savage flux 2200 motor is definitely 1/8 scale as is the savage flux truck. It is a very powerful capable motor. I have two of them and both are beasts.

Yes The Hobby wing Quicrun 150a is waterproof and seems on par with my Mamba Monster 2 so far...

I know there are a lot of esc choices out there, but I was trying to provide two waterproof esc's capable of 6s that are actually rated for a rig this big. The sidewinder 8 which is the same as the rtr esc may work, but it is less capable spec wise than the Hobbywing Quicrun 150a or Mamba Monster 2.

I have the Hobbywng Quicrun 150a and a Castle 1515y 2200kv set aside for my Axial Yeti XL kit.

Also despite popular opinions on this forum, you can get away running a high torque savox servo with either the MM2 or HW 150a. Both of these esc's can put out 6v for the servo. I recommend using a glitch buster capacitor though. I am going to use a savox sc1230sg with my Hobbywing Quicrun ESC. This servo puts out 500oz torque at 6v. The HW ESC puts out 6v.

The folks using the Yeti XL RTR esc or the Sidwinder 8 are using external becs because of this esc's low power BEC. It is rated at 4.5v continuous output. Most servos need at least 6v to perform properly.

Back