• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Working on a new rear lightbar for KOH rigs or ?

ya those
there mostly used in the dunes with a flag on top but i see alot of rigs on the trails using them too they look cool at night

it would be easy enuf to make just a flexable something or another with a led light on the end to light it all the waylike a straw or somethibg then make that flash but would be extemely trick would be to make the lights run up and down the whip and change colors and if in a group on a night run everyone can run differant colors

The controller you have is very different than the one I am developing for this new lightbar. The difference is that the new light bar only uses three wires to operate the entire string of LEDs. The controller on the original style KOH controller I made uses a wire run to each LED.

That just means that I could design a lightbar for the old-style controller, but once again, I want to ask you guys for your help! Can you give me a sketch showing me what you would like for dimensions and layout? Do you prefer 3mm or 5mm LEDs?

Thanks!

I would say use 14x 5mm LED's left to right: 3 red/white outboard, 3 amber, 2 red/white, 3 amber, 3 red/white.

Regarding the use of blue rear lights: While it varies a bit from Ultra4, SCORE, etc., rear-facing amber is mandatory for visibility in dusty conditions, blue is required for "slower" classes (e.g. UTV/SxS) to indicate forward progress at a slower pace than other classes. That is my understanding, anyway.

I like the amber, instead of blue, suggestion...not because of any rules, but "just because".

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

yes...just for personal aesthetics not for any particular reason though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I can do this quite easily. The LEDs I use are addressable RGB which means I can make any of them into any colour. Maybe I could build it with another loop of wire that you leave intact for blue/amber and cut for amber/amber. Or if you wanted, connect a toggle switch so you can choose to change it whenever you like.

I can do this quite easily. The LEDs I use are addressable RGB which means I can make any of them into any colour. Maybe I could build it with another loop of wire that you leave intact for blue/amber and cut for amber/amber. Or if you wanted, connect a toggle switch so you can choose to change it whenever you like.
that is awesome and i think a great idea. would that also be possible to turn on and off the reverse light function?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'd be happy to make one for you.

Are Mad Dog parts no longer available?

There may still be a few items at AMain, but the boys shut it down early this year.

Just so that I am clear on this configuration, you can choose via switch positions which color combo it displays, or does it cycle through all of the options?

Thanks for the response!

Right now, it only shows the colours that you saw in the video. Other light combinations are possible if I reprogram the microcontroller that drives the LEDs. I just gave a few examples of what could be possible. If there is something you want, ask and I might be able to make it happen.

Reverse light thing is very cool. Scalers should be all overr that. The thing I don't get is the blue light. All the offroad racing classes require an amber rear facing light along with tail/brake lights. The blue light on only goes on the slow moving vehicles so they get nerfed by the faster rigs, to move out of the way to be passed. UTV, lower budget VW powered stuff.....

Right now, it only shows the colours that you saw in the video. Other light combinations are possible if I reprogram the microcontroller that drives the LEDs. I just gave a few examples of what could be possible. If there is something you want, ask and I might be able to make it happen.

I'd like to buy one to test out. Are these something that could be purchased in quantity?

***EDIT***
After watching the video again. I'd like it just as you show it.

6759ca1dfa5dad453e3ba61ce9190a6b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'd like to buy one to test out. Are these something that could be purchased in quantity?

Three red on the outsides, then three Amber, and one white in the center.

6759ca1dfa5dad453e3ba61ce9190a6b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'll send you a PM!

I like where this is headed Al. Definitely something I’d look to use for the Baja Rey, and other rigs for that matter. Anyway, with regard to the amber and/or blue, rear facing lights. See spec from KOH Tech Inspection rule book. There are applications for both.

Rearward facing amber light, and blue light if so required, must illuminate with a brightness that is at least equivalent to a 40 watt 12V automotive lamp but not brighter than equivalent to a 55 watt 12V automotive lamp. LED lamps of appropriate brightness are permitted. The amber lens must be deep-coated amber in color, no other color is permitted. The blue lens must be medium- coated blue in color, no other color is permitted. The amber light and blue light if so required must be mounted a minimum of 48” (1220mm) from the ground and must be clearly visible, with no obstructions (i.e. not mounted behind any translucent object), from any position in an imaginary arc from the 5 o'clock position to the 7 o'clock position of the vehicle. The amber light and blue light, if so required, must be placed so as not to impair the vision of another driver approaching from the rear.

I like where this is headed Al. Definitely something I’d look to use for the Baja Rey, and other rigs for that matter. Anyway, with regard to the amber and/or blue, rear facing lights. See spec from KOH Tech Inspection rule book. There are applications for both.

Rearward facing amber light, and blue light if so required, must illuminate with a brightness that is at least equivalent to a 40 watt 12V automotive lamp but not brighter than equivalent to a 55 watt 12V automotive lamp. LED lamps of appropriate brightness are permitted. The amber lens must be deep-coated amber in color, no other color is permitted. The blue lens must be medium- coated blue in color, no other color is permitted. The amber light and blue light if so required must be mounted a minimum of 48” (1220mm) from the ground and must be clearly visible, with no obstructions (i.e. not mounted behind any translucent object), from any position in an imaginary arc from the 5 o'clock position to the 7 o'clock position of the vehicle. The amber light and blue light, if so required, must be placed so as not to impair the vision of another driver approaching from the rear.
Thank you for that! I appreciate you posting something so complete.

I need more coffee yet, but maybe the blue light should be an optional setting.

Thank you for that! I appreciate you posting something so complete.

I need more coffee yet, but maybe the blue light should be an optional setting.

If it’s easy enough to do, I’d offer it as an option. I know Gearhead RC offers KOH chase lights with the blue as well.

Attachments

• C48B2811-A4BD-4417-B9B8-87709F329D3A.jpeg
    C48B2811-A4BD-4417-B9B8-87709F329D3A.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 204
Back